Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Excited Now smiling smiley Hunt recap with pic

Posted by Daniel Tn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Excited Now smiling smiley Hunt recap with pic
March 09, 2016 08:41PM
Fed Ex and USPS dropped off three packages at the house this morning and I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas morning now.

First was the new action cam I bought. I have it charging and have already played with it some. I like it SO FAR. For $80 I think it is pretty awesome for a GoPro Hero 4 knock off.

Next was a 5x10 DD coil for my GPX. This is my favorite coil for the machine, hands down. I have had them in the past and when I got this GPX, I knew I had to have another one ASAP.

And thanks to Art fro the forum here, he pointed me towards a coil I have wanted for some time now....an 8 inch DD coil for the GPX. It was my most anticipated package arrival today. I was quite surprised at how heavy that thing is; I did not put it on a physical scale but by holding it and the stock 11 inch coil in my hands, it feels like the 8 inch is heavier than the 11 inch. I put it on the detector and ran outside real quick to give it a shot at a buried minie ball. At first I was kind of iffy about it; I got a signal on the bullet but it wasn't that crisp BAM signal I'm used to. The bullet is a 12 incher BTW. Then I remembered I had the gain turned down to a setting of 1 when I was hunting the other day in some trash. I turned it back up to around 6 and was quite happy with the result. I think this coil is going to fill the gap I had been missing.

Now with all this said...the excited part is here. I am off work tomorrow and it has FINALLY quit raining for a few days and is supposed to be in the mid 70s. I am going digging. I have a site in mind that we dug a lot of Civil War stuff out of years ago. It hasn't had a GPX on it. When I was first learning the TDI, I did take it there and picked off a few more relics but the GPX is a much better machine than the TDI. I imagine I left some goodies in the ground. Maybe I can get out there, get some video of finding some stuff and break out of the cabin fever mode.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2016 01:51AM by Daniel Tn.
Re: Excited Now smiling smiley
March 09, 2016 08:51PM
Sounds like a lot of fun. I, too, have been receiving new toys this week as well. Which of the cams did you get?
March 09, 2016 10:58PM
Good to go Daniel, that assortment of gear should have you in high cotton for some time to come lol. One more work night then I'll be back at it myself. Let us know
March 09, 2016 11:00PM
Go get em Daniel.
Nothing like enjoying life!!!!

A new house, a great PI detector,,,,you are on top of the world...

Look forward to more feedback.
March 10, 2016 12:43AM
The GPX can bust through that Ole' Hot Ground you got!>grinning smiley<
March 10, 2016 02:56AM
Never heard of an 8" DD coil for a GPX. I may have to buy one. Who makes that coil Daniel? Is it a Detech?
March 10, 2016 03:37AM
I look forward to hearing and seeing some video with that SJ4000. Would love to see a mini review once you have played around with it a bit.
March 10, 2016 01:47PM
Headed out in a few minutes after I feed the critters. Gonna be a good day smiling smiley
March 10, 2016 10:48PM
Hope ya get a pouch full. Rain just hit us over this way and looks to be here for a while. Living vicariously through you at the moment lol
March 11, 2016 01:51AM
WHEW!! I am back home, sun burned, wind burned, and wore slap out.

I have packed on several dozen pounds since I last had a metal detector and I can feel it.

The site I hunted today, was one I found years ago; I would imagine some time in the 2001 or 2002 time frame. The last time I was there, was probably around 2010 or so when I first got a Whites TDI and was learning it. I had never had a GPX on it, and felt there had to be some deeper stuff in there that we had missed with our VLF machines. It is a good walk from the truck; GPS says it is .43 miles back in there, so a little shy of 1/2 a mile. I used to be able to practically run to it and never lose my breath. Today, by the time I got up there I was about ready to sit down and catch my breath. Hahah.

I hunted from about 12:00 noon to 4:30 p.m. I hunted with the new coil today. I can tell you that it is great in iron but HEAVY. Heavier than the stock coil or so it feels like it. I pulled one of NASA Tom's things for a while, and dug signals I was pretty sure were nails or iron, just to be sure that the coil wasn't lying to me and to build confidence that when it says it was iron, that it was iron. This proved to be true 100% of the time.

Now for the video camera part. I mounted the camera on my detector shaft, just below the handle on the GPX. It mounts good there and gets good video of the coil itself. BUT the problem is, mine is missing one of the pieces that makes mounting it possible without the waterproof casing. Without that one piece, none of the mounts will work unless you put the camera in the waterproof housing. That is what I did just to try it. The problem I ran into doing it this was, is that in all the video I done, you can't hear me talking or hear the detector at all. The waterproof case muffles the microphone and you can see the video but can't hear good audio. I am going to try and find one of those missing pieces online and get it on its way. So no video from the hunt today; other than the intro stuff and such. I am going to have to figure something out on a better place to mount it anyway.

Here are my finds in picture form for the curious ones. It ain't much but it sure felt good to get out and dig in some dirt. 6 dropped minies (one that was carved on) 2 pistol bullets, and what is left of a pocket knife. The rain is here now; it started as I was unloading my stuff out of the truck.

Re: Excited Now smiling smiley Hunt recap with pic
March 11, 2016 04:55AM
Great finds. Congrats.
March 11, 2016 05:48AM
Pretty good for a spot hunted hard already Daniel. That'll sure build the confidence in that new coil for sure.

Reference the cam, did you not get the skeleton type case along with the waterproof case? Both mount the same when used with the bar clamp. For the WP case I use a H-1 digital recorder and add during editing. Few slaps of the hand in front of the cam is a fast way to line things up. If we get together I'll show ya the set up, nothing special.
March 11, 2016 05:52AM
Congrats on the nice finds. I'd say you had a great day, Daniel!

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
March 11, 2016 06:43AM
Tom,

On the camera, it did come with both the waterproof case and the skeleton. BUT on the skeleton one, it just has threaded holes on it. It is missing the piece that looks like this:

[www.ebay.com]

I went ahead and bought a few of them; without that, the other mounts wont work.

---------------------------

I earned every one of those today. My arms are sunburned...all except one spot where the arm strap went across it. I'm gonna have to get in the gym and start doing some cardio again. Not being able to walk 1/2 mile without being winded is a little embarrassing.
March 11, 2016 08:37AM
Good digs Daniel thumbs down
March 12, 2016 04:19AM
Got ya. Should call the shipper as well...QC slacking on that box.

On 3ringers do find that on some a low tone is given but once out of the hole you get a high tone on them? I had highs on buckballs as well but they stay high along with the button a few hunts back
March 12, 2016 04:48AM
Nice finds Daniel.
March 12, 2016 05:42AM
On the minie balls, no, they always give a low tone with a high tail end. The pocket knife gave the infamous turkey gobble signal almost like a rapid high-low-high sound.
March 12, 2016 07:45PM
Daniel you gotta' get back in the Gym and start Pumpin' that iron again so you can get back in shape! That way you can bust through that Hard Hot Ground like a Knife through Butter!>grinning smiley<
March 14, 2016 02:39PM
I weighed both coils on my archery scale. I was right about the 8" being heavier than the 11 inch.

The 11" is 1.78 lbs and the 8" is 1.81 lbs.

Too bad...if that 8" was as light as the 5x10 coil (1.25 Lcool smiley, it would probably never leave the end of my GPX.
March 14, 2016 10:30PM
Daniel I have heard about the turkey gobble effect in the tone. Was spoke of in two part buttons if I recall. If you get that again a clip would be appreciated in showing what the sound is like. Going out Friday to a camp over this way that had a dozer on it. Due to the rain and mud have not been able to hit it. We'll see.