Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Very Fast analog detector Minelab Musketeer X.S. Video

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Very Fast analog detector Minelab Musketeer X.S. Video
December 12, 2010 11:20PM
Here's a quick video I did of the Minelab Musketeer X.S. to just show the excellent iron rejection and speed of recovery and target separation...

Very fast analog machine using a 8 inch DD coil..

I like to use the deck to demonstrate since I believe most people have deck's or are able to get to one for testing ...

pretty easy standard that people can analyze with from area to area..

it's a dime on edge not silver just clad stuck between the board's with nails on either side ... Basic style universally used construction technique ..

hope it show's people the awesome recovery speed and separation ability of the Musky..

Not many machines can accomplish this feat...

Yes that's snow on the table here in West Metro Atlanta!!!!

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks

Keith
Re: Very Fast analog detector Minelab Musketeer X.S. Video
December 13, 2010 04:28PM
Keith...nice video. I knew that leaf was going to blow away !

I have a Musky Advantage and it's one unit I won't get rid of. Too easy to set up and use, goes really deep and I can hunt silver coins in iron (one of the best machines for that type of hunting) without any problems. I have found I can turn up the discrimination high and it will still hit silver/copper coins deep and I don't dig up any iron or trash. Great silver cherry picker.

It's a really good beach machine too. Just a good, all around unit.
December 13, 2010 11:41PM
DD coils are wonderful! Yes, the ML Musk/Advantage are surprising units. Good video capture. I will say this............the unit is not ID'ing the dime as a 'dime' or even a 'coin' ID; yet, the composite target(s) is a 'somewhat higher' ID (conductively) vs the nails. In other words; the ID is 'above iron'. If this particualr ML had a ID meter and/or tones....... the target would probably be ID'ing as 'foil' or 'tab'.
December 14, 2010 03:16AM
Interesting!

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
December 14, 2010 03:53AM
Great test! The nails are obviously perpendicular to the coil so it's not typical, but the results are interesting nonetheless.

Can anyone repeat it with an Etrac?
Hey Rover
December 14, 2010 06:17PM
yeah you knew that leaf would blow away!!!!

I have had great success with the Musky on deep coin's I dug a large cent one time at a measured 12.25 inches and got a beautiful 1900 Barber half at close to 14 inches..Both in the same
yard...Very loamy soil...

and it's just as deep on button's and bullet's

I have heard that there's a couple of guy's down in New Orlean's hunting the city park's are really cleaning up on silver using the secret weapon musky with 10 inch coil..

Keith
Yes Tom I am glad
December 14, 2010 06:20PM
it does not have a meter...Some of the hit's I dig with it would probably read below foil!! that turn out to be great item's....

Keith
My E-trac would not hit it
December 14, 2010 06:22PM
But I was using no disc letting the tone's do the work.. I believe the E-trac might require disc to work better????
December 14, 2010 09:16PM
Keith,

I have my Musky mounted on a Plugger straight shaft and use the small Minelab coil for coin hunting and the 15inch WOT for beach hunting. With the small coil, you can still get deep silver and among the trash. haven't used the 10 inch coil much since I got the small coil, but I may have to put it back on.

Went beach hunting the other day with my CZ and there was a big sand pile that had TONS of iron in it. I was digging up 3-4 inch pieces of copper pipe as well as copper memorial pennies ( no wheaties) and managed to pull a '44 merc dime out of it. But the CZ likes iron a lot and even though when I hunt in discriminate mode I use 0 setting, it was falsing every so often and I did dig a few deep pieces of iron.

Going to go back with my Gold Bug Se and the Musky ( with the small coil) and see if I can get some more silver outta there among all that iron. Just don't know if I want to use the 11 inch DD or the 5 inch DD on the GB.
I am Partial to the 11" Bi-Axial coil Rover
December 14, 2010 10:27PM
the Bi-Axial gets way more depth and seems to separate about as good as the 5...I hear ya on the cz loving iron but they are deep..

But yes for a turn on a go machine that reject's iron great the musky is hard to beat...

Keith
December 15, 2010 02:20AM
Keith,

Just to let you know, I am a die hard CZ fan and will never part with my 6a's. I have had a lot of different CZ's in the past, but they never matched the two 6a's I have for depth.

The reason I want to take the Musky and GBSE to this sand pile is there are tons of nails and iron globs, and I think these units may be able to sniff out some silver and discriminate a tad better than the CZ's. Plus they have DD coils on them and their target separation and recovery speed is quicker. I still believe the CZ will be better depth wise, but probably not iron rejecting and separation wise in this area. Then again, I have not put the small coil on the CZ and may just do that and bring it along.

Like they say...horses for courses.
September 06, 2018 02:04AM
Classic
September 06, 2018 09:42AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wi
> ll say this............the unit is not ID'ing the
> dime as a 'dime' or even a 'coin' ID; yet, the com
> posite target(s) is a 'somewhat higher' ID (conduc
> tively) vs the nails. In other words; the ID is '
> above iron'. If this particualr ML had a ID meter
> and/or tones....... the target would probably be I
> D'ing as 'foil' or 'tab'.

Ahem...I'd beg to differ Tom...I'd say that it is registering a better hit than you are giving it credit for?

Last fall I did some 'on-ground' testing with a Musketeer Colt and an XP ADX150: the 'lil' Colt surprised and delighted me as it 'kept up with' the more modern ADX150 even though the [original] ADX150 design is from the same era as the 'black Musketeer' models! I'd deff say the 'hits' Keith got are good solid hi-conductor hits?

Many years ago when the requirements for a new model Musketeer were being discussed, I threw in the suggestion for 'some sort of a meter' but the replies from engineering were, "it can't be done" on the existing technology?
Then the "Advantage" came to be and I was against such a LARGE 'antiquated' control box design when our Customer's at the time were clamouring for 'lighter' machines!
Re: I am Partial to the 11" Bi-Axial coil Rover
September 06, 2018 11:55PM
Keith,
Have you tried the RA 71 set up to mimic the Musketeer ??
I have started on that course but have not gotten there yet. I sold my Musketeer to help pay for another machine and am now trying to get another Advantage to do some comparisons with. The RA 71 has both CC and DD options, as well as adjustable reaction speed. I am hoping that perhaps the Ra 71 will compete and/or excel in comparison and huntability.
Re: I am Partial to the 11" Bi-Axial coil Rover
September 11, 2018 05:28PM
Whats funny is a Concentric on a musky is horrid..well the original green metal box musky anyways.that 8x9 C. falsed so bad in my soil!!! .But once they added the white Super search DD right after release the Musky became AWESOME..

Never had a Concentric on the XS plastic black box or Advantage as the older coils from Metal box wont go forward but they can go backwards??

Advantages (Musky) are very fast reset units and high crisp tone..it was the answer to the 1266 from Minelab..I heard that was their goal to make a unit compete or exceed the 1266..I think they did that very well especially the later ones with ground balance and DD coil..cant say it was deeper than a 1266 in benign soil but the disc worked to about full depth and that was a plus and once bad dirt was in play it had an 'advantage'...See what I did there? LOL...

they have a language all their own in analog that a digital machine can find hard to replicate..As of late all the newer multi selectable one at a time freq units for some reason on lower freq's (5khz say) dont like to reset fast..Yet a Musky or even Omega has a perfect feel down there on that freq being fast.

Rutus is one of the better at any freq going fast feels right..But again dont expect it to exactly mimic the DNA of a Musky...and surely not that crisp feel of the musky...the Rutus has alot of inert X-Terra feel to the audio and while its very very tunable it cant become a true musky..

another thing on the musky is the ability to be power balanced and get crazy depth cleanly.

Ive noticed it easier for say a Tweakable unit like a Rutus to mimic say other digital units Vs trying to make it copy an analog unit..Yet you can get it close and you have a whole lot more info to gain like iron tone and displays etc..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
September 11, 2018 06:16PM
Keith, I don't know if they knew the 1266-X even existed? They were in 'the dark ages' back then!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2018 06:16PM by Des D.
September 13, 2018 12:27AM
Hi Des!!

Yeah I read that in a magazine I believe it was??? back pre internet days.I think it was in Eastern Western treasures ..But I could be wrong..

The good ol days!! we waited all month for our glimpse into the world of detecting..learned of machines in magazines or going to a brick and mortar shop.. ..Sort of miss that era in away...

But you may be right though !!LOL!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla