Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Relics becoming harder to find. (pics)

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Relics becoming harder to find. (pics)
March 23, 2016 03:35AM
So when I find a few, I'm proud of them and want to show them off. Immature and childish? Guilty as charged. Check out the carved heart pendant thingy. And my canister shot. All finds made with my Deus with 11 inch coil. There is also a very thin silver ring in the mix. That sucker was 8 inches deep! I was exclusively hunting old dirt piles made when trees fall over the years. Sometimes, the relics are deep in those piles. If I hear even a faint iron grunt, I set to digging, I scrubbed the white patina off of the pice of flat lead with two holes in it. I'm guessing that it was a makeshift button......but very well could be wrong.

Oh, and my very first tonkin!!!!! I didn't have a clue what it was and my hunting buddy enlightened me.
Re: Relics becoming harder to find. (pics)
March 23, 2016 04:15AM
Great finds
March 23, 2016 04:27AM
Very nice finds, Kevin. You should be proud!
The heart thing, great find. Tompion, too!
I've been using my Deus and 11" coil on a new CW permission, too, and it's been fun with lots more finds yet to come.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
March 23, 2016 04:31AM
Tonkin? Do you mean the tompion? Lookin good brother. They are out there. Just gotta go get em.
March 23, 2016 04:41AM
NIce collection of relics!

I wonder if the lead piece with the hold could be a sinker?

HH,
Brian
March 23, 2016 04:42AM
Nice finds Kevin!!!

I like that Little heart...

No actually I love it!!!

Pure cavalry Piece....Ill bet some ol Reb was making him a Hat pin!! Or saddle device...

Ive dug them like that with holes in the lobes for attaching..

He might of been fixin to do the holes for attaching when he had to skeedaddle.

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
March 23, 2016 05:11AM
Excellent diggin there Kev!

Love the lead heart and the cannister shot's nice too thumbs down
March 23, 2016 05:15AM
Let the kid in you enjoy your finds that is what I do

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
March 23, 2016 05:31AM
Kevin that's a great days dig for anyone bud! Looks like you are taking right kindly to that machine thumbs down
March 23, 2016 08:55AM
Nice day for relics, good deal. Looked up tompion.....goes into the end of a gun barrel. The cork has long since deteriorated....way cool. Love the heart too.
March 23, 2016 09:15AM
I thought I remembered one that had the bullet shot into it...ill have to look that one back up...that boy was in hurry to put a round down range lol
March 23, 2016 10:04AM
Kevin, a wonderful example of what comes about while having fun! I need to shop for a decent, handy camera so I can start getting photo's of finds made.

We don't find those big bullets that often "out west" but I'd almost bet we could out-do most places when it comes to recovering harmonica parts. Okay, maybe not, but it sure seems like it at times. Last Thursday and Saturday I must have recovered nine of them. A lot of interesting small stuff gets found and sometimes old coins and Trade Tokens, my favorites, get to see daylight again.

Best of success on your future treks afield.

Monte
March 23, 2016 11:08AM
Awesome days digging !! i get worked up if i find one bullet anymore it is tough out there.
March 23, 2016 12:01PM
Awesome finds. That heart is priceless. I always check fallen trees. Have yet to find much, the guy who introduced me to relic hunting found a sword in a root ball many years ago.
March 23, 2016 12:20PM
Your lead 'button' may have been used as a hem weight, we find mass-manufactured ones here in the UK quite often:
[www.ukdfd.co.uk]
[www.ukdfd.co.uk]
March 23, 2016 05:36PM
I appreciate the kind words, guys. I also appreciate the correct way to spell 'tompion'. On the day that I found it, I rushed over to my huntin buddy and asked what this green thing is. In the heat of the moment I thought that he said: "Great find!!! That's a Tonkin!" Or, at least that's how my ears registered it. LOL!!!!!! Anyway, thanks for the great words. I sincerely hope that all of you guys fill your pockets with whatever you are detecting for!!!!!! These days. if I find even one CW bullet during a detecting session, I count the day as a success.
I'm not a Deus fanboy. I am growing to believe that a person can do great with most of the machines out there the longer they use it. I'm down to one unit now......two coils. I chose the Deus because of the light-ness and because of the ground balance notch (knocks out those percussion falses.....well.....most of them.) Happy Hunting guys!!!!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2016 05:44PM by Kevin B.