Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Racer 2 coils

Posted by Los Alamos 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Racer 2 coils
April 01, 2016 11:42PM
Just received my Racer 2, have the OOR 5" and 11 x 7,the 5" works great but looking for a lighter alternative to the larger coil. Will the NEL coils offer more "performance" size wise than say the stock 5 x 10 Makro coil?
Re: Racer 2 coils
April 02, 2016 12:37AM
So you want a Lighter Coil than Stock 7x11?

The 5x10 is lighter and gives up some depth not a lot but it does...its gains some separation though..

I run the 6x10 the most but I stay in trash a lot...I use it as SCOUT coil and even as seek and destroy...Great walking coil 10 inches long for coverage and then can also effectively hunt in some of the worst trash iron/modern or both .....I only drop back to small coil when I'm Dissecting Iron or modern trash...

The next size up from from the stock coil size from NEL would be the 8.5x12.5 but probably would be heavier..and should be a a bit deeper..but loose separation..

I want to try a 5.5x9.5 NEL but only for the non Buoyancy in the Surf..I doubt to gain anything over the factory 6x10 except that...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 02, 2016 01:38AM
Just curious,,, is there a weight difference between Racer 1 stock coil and Racer 2 stock coil-- since they have different design???? And they are interchangeable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2016 01:41AM by tnsharpshooter.
April 02, 2016 02:24AM
There interchangeable..

It's the coil Housing off the CoRe.

If you Know how lite that one is..

It's lighter than the Older Racer coil polus mounts more centered for better ergonomics..

feels like the 5x10 mounted to me..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 02, 2016 02:39AM
As far as aftermarket coils go, say a Mars or Nel, would that be an improvement over stock?
April 02, 2016 02:45AM
Sorry Keith, I didn't read your first post close enough on the NEL coils, thanks for the info. I think I will go ahead a get the 5 x 10 stock.
April 02, 2016 02:50AM
Good choice unless you are going to submerge it..there waterproof but float..besides that AWESOME COIL!!

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
April 02, 2016 02:52AM
5x10 is deep enough and I hardly use the 5" but would like a bigger coil that is not as heavy as the stock coil

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2016 03:57AM by Lawrenzo.
April 02, 2016 03:44AM
The Racer 1 standard coil went thru three variations. The first was the coil with the thin ears that had a problem breaking. The second version had the thicker ears and beefed up around where the coil wire attaches. The third version is like the second version except that it doesn't have a bottom that is attached. In other words, it must be used with a removable coil cover, or you'd be dragging the gray potting compound on the dirt. The first two versions had black bottoms and the third is gray without the cover on it. The Racer 2 coil is built like the third version of the Racer 1 coil in that it has the gray potting compound showing if it doesn't have the coil cover installed. The Racer 2 coil weighed 1/2 oz less than the Racer 1 version 3 coil on my scale.
April 02, 2016 09:12AM
Lawrenzo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 5x10 is deep enough and I hardly use the 5" but
> would like a bigger coil that is not as heavy as
> the stock coil

Lawrenzo

The Mars 10x13 would be a good alternative to the stock coil if you are looking for something bigger. Light weight at around 500 grams and balances great. I use the 5x10 for general hunting and the Mars in the less iron intense areas. I need to try the new style stock coil and compare them since after using the Mars I kinda forgot about it and never hooked it up. Still has the cable tied up the way it came.

Tom
April 02, 2016 02:30PM
Just one more question, will the 5 x 10 on the Gold Racer work on the R2? I would think not since it is a different frequency but don't know for sure.
April 02, 2016 07:22PM
No the GR coil won't work on the R2
April 02, 2016 09:19PM
Anyone else's little 5" coil overloading a lot? I have the original racer one. My new R2 coils does really well. Wondering why little guy overloads so easy on R2