Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Sensationalism vs responsibility

Posted by Beyonder-Pa 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Sensationalism vs responsibility
April 21, 2016 10:20PM
This will be a tough post for me to make and tough for some people to read. Not because it is offensive, but because it may challenge people's self restraint(when posting pictures or videos) and take them out of their comfort zone.

This post isn't about the people that trespass, or the ones that leave holes everywhere, so please, do not bring that up.

In my opinion:

There are certain people, not on this forum, but especially on other forums and on you(tube)(we know who they are), that glorify metal detecting by "showing off" rare finds, or an abundance of silver coins with videos and pictures. To me, this over-the-top, in-your-face type of showing of finds is counter-intuitive and self destructive to the hobby. I can't see any reason to post your finds like a madman, day in and day out for months and months. What does this accomplish? Who are you trying to impress? How many times are you going to post the picture of the one Silver rosey you found "today"?

When multiple people posting multiple pics and vids and the general public sees this, It sends the message that, "if you get a metal detector, you will find rare coins worth thousands", which just isn't true. Personally, I find it revolting when there is some person digging silver coins and screaming and yelling, makes us look like fools(and im not talking about those TV goofs either). I had a person come up to me and actually asked, "when you find something, do you jump up and down and run around screaming?". Not only was this embarrassing, but it made me realize public perception of us must be horrible. If I didn't know anything about the metal detecting community, from the videos I have seen and the personality types on these videos, I would conclude that the type of people that metal detect are greedy, irresponsible, and don't care about anything but their self!

I used to watch a certain guy(im sure he is a great kid) on you(tube). He had basketball videos which were cool but, the more I watched his metal detecting videos, the more sick I got. I started thinking, what does it look like when he gets turned down? What does the one person who turned him down, say to other people, via social media? He never shows those videos. I stopped watching his channel.

I posted about a guy who had a ATX and a 3030 and had no clue how to work either(and I am still PO'ed about that guy). There are many other vids and posts I can put here as an example, but im sure some of you have seen them.

I can go on and on, but im stopping here. What we need in this day and age is to show responsibility. EVERY video and EVERY post must be carefully thought out. Why? Because our hobby depends on the general public's acceptance. In an age where people are more concerned about cow farts than their own family, we need to set the standard that, what we are doing is not harming anyone or anything. Public perception is the key.

Im sure some or most are going to disagree with what I just said. All I can say is, I hope im wrong and I pray that you are right! Because if we lose that public acceptance, then we will all, have very expensive paper weights.
Re: Sensationalism vs responsibility
April 21, 2016 10:41PM
The public perception 99% of it comes/came from the TV shows. What you see on these forums is hardly ever seen by anyone except us. In a day and age of instant gratification by at least 75% of the population. Great for sales, then into the closet it goes from the TV shows.
April 21, 2016 11:01PM
Lets face it there are good and bad in every aspect of life unfortunately...fortunately we have many good guys and gals to carry on.
If we could only inform the general public relative the hobby and its aspects ....(unfortunately the average Joe or Jane don't have a prayer) ...we would certainly be taking a step forward...
April 21, 2016 11:17PM
Well I have said it before and been acused of pointin' fingers or being a grumpy old man who hates newbees.But this kind of behavior and Video's gives the people the wrong impression and atract the greedy. And I'm sorry to say as you didn't want it mention,But this leads to the guys leaving holes every where as all they care about is how many silver they can get in a year and rest be damed. I spend way more time on Forums then I use to due to losing about 80% of my sites to these clowns and it pissies me off! Sorry but I would worry about the passion of a person if it didn't. Nuff said.
April 21, 2016 11:18PM
I've never made a video but I have posted pics int the past of some finds from various hunts (not so much anymore).

Believe it or not some of those you tube channels make decent money if they have a popular enough.

HH
John
April 21, 2016 11:47PM
Well,
There are/will always be bad apples.

And there is always some person or groups who is always trying to cut corners, cheat, etc

I have seen folks both myself as a civilian and as a GI,,,where some folks spent more energy trying to avoid work vs if they would have just done the work to start with.

Different folks for different strokes.

I have posted a few finds here,,not many.
I usually post when I consider them to be discovered in challenging situations,, where maybe I could tell my story and help a few folks out.
April 22, 2016 02:26AM
I want to find relics, I want to dig every tone and work my ass off to find history to take home and look at. Planting maybe for those that find nothing not sure why they do it. I make a lot of videos had a year on my camera I'm still editing. Of course I don't show the ton of junk I dig but I work hard for my finds as I'm sure most of us do.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
April 22, 2016 02:39AM
Absolutely LowBoy . You are proud of your finds and want to display them on video, thats cool.
April 22, 2016 09:02AM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well I have said it before and been acused of
> pointin' fingers or being a grumpy old man who
> hates newbees.But this kind of behavior and
> Video's gives the people the wrong impression and
> atract the greedy. And I'm sorry to say as you
> didn't want it mention,But this leads to the guys
> leaving holes every where as all they care about
> is how many silver they can get in a year and rest
> be damed. I spend way more time on Forums then I
> use to due to losing about 80% of my sites to
> these clowns and it pissies me off! Sorry but I
> would worry about the passion of a person if it
> didn't. Nuff said.

unfortunately we cannot control the actions of an irresponsible few.
about all one can do is "educate" others when the opportunity presents itself.
in life,there is 'always" at least one who "f**Ks it for everyone else.again,unfortunately
metal detecting is no exception.all we can do is try to remain optimistic,and do the
RIGHT thing ourselves individually when on site,and hope that by doing this,can achieve
"peace of mind!"

(h.h.!)
j.t.
April 22, 2016 10:01AM
Don't let that stuff bother ya Bey....I'm talking about liars and cheats....can't get away from them, they're all over the planet as you know.

The uncovered holes and making a mess of a park, well that's something to get pizzed about. When we come across that, our adrenaline pumps and the blood pressure rises out of our control. We feel responsible for their ignorance and we have to fix their mess to keep the peace.
April 22, 2016 10:38AM
Ive noticed more and more TV shows where there is a beach ...... there is someone swinging a detector. People are interested in our hobby........ are we more concerned its introducing more people/competition? We'd all like less people like the good ole days........but thats not going to happen until they start shutting us down im afraid. Permits, more refusals to hunt private property and just no detecting. No one likes to see a half dozen people already in the water when you get there...... but i dont let that ruin my day either. Some people just have great places to hunt that produce....... its frustrating and ya i get a little envious. The GO PROs and Utube have really opened up a new world to people connected..... there is nothing you cant get a video on as a teaching or learning tool. Seems everybody wants to be somebody now days and gain a reputation in the hobby. As far as the finds.......IF you are finding them im all good with it. I love seeing some of the jewelry posted........ gets me out there. It kind of hit me when i was in a club several years ago.......why am i sharing info, finds, and spots with these guys? But ive been in the hobby long enough now that i do it for me. I dont judge and found it did me no good to complain. In fact i think you find a lot of hunters you really enjoy being out there with........ just another way to make a friend. Also it seems not everyone posting a lot of videos and finds bug us...... we tend to be selective, why? Is it our desire to push more people away from our hobby or just those we dont like? If so ....... expect less equipment/upgraded detectors as well.

Dalai Lama say............ Dont let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace.

Dew

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2016 11:09AM by dewcon4414.
April 22, 2016 12:45PM
All these videos and TV shows, forum posts, good or bad, are good for the business of selling detectors. Manufactures love.
If it were not for the number of sales of detector and accessories generated, there would be no reason for manufactures to pour money into
producing those high tech detectors you now use. Appears to be double edged sword issue............. Every hobby, sport, fun activities has its goods and bads
and there are those that try and shut it down............................don't you just hate it when you go fishing, camping and the last person(s) there were slobs and left their crap and garbage
lying about. Or the animal hunter who left 50 beer cans below his tree stand. Or the bikers who didn't stay on the designated trail and tore up areas that were all on private property.
You can't turn a slob into a neat person who doesn't know what neat is. Once a slob, probably always a slob until some one takes a bat to them. Dictators had a way of taking care of nuisance people.
Unfortunately no one is perfect. With all the carp that goes on in the world, its amazing how we didn't self destruct civilization. Funny how much you see when you get older.
I would just try and enjoy your hobby to the fullest and be respectful to what doesn't belong to you, leave the ground you detected in the way was as much as it was before you hunted.
Give no one the reason to complain to ban our activities. There's always people out there that hate what you are doing.........................or hate to see people having fun.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
April 22, 2016 04:24PM
Thanks for your responses.

Im not saying ban the videos. The message I was trying to convey was, "Let's instill some responsibility in what we post". A video was just posted of a group that found a silver cache of 3500 oz. Look at the hole they dug. Now imagine a person that doesn't know anything with a CTX and gets a deep 12 inch can signal. NOW you have a huge hole and an inexperienced, disappointed hunter that dug a can a foot deep thinking it was silver bars. When something like this is posted, why glorify it?

What is class? Class is when a person loses, they don't cry about it. It is also when they win, they don't laugh too loud. That's class too.

I just wanted to make people aware of what I am seeing.
April 22, 2016 05:04PM

A video was just posted of a group that found a silver cache of 3500 oz.

I think if any of us found that we would be posting pics, the video, and jumping up and down. I cant really blame someone for showing off a find like that. In fact, I love seeing/hearing stories about those finds. Its inspiring even though I probably won't ever find something like that but it helps add to my 'thrill of the hunt'.
April 22, 2016 05:31PM
adamBomb Wrote:
> A video was just posted of a group that found a
> silver cache of 3500 oz.
>
> I think if any of us found that we would be
> posting pics, the video, and jumping up and down.
> I cant really blame someone for showing off a find
> like that. In fact, I love seeing/hearing stories
> about those finds. Its inspiring even though I
> probably won't ever find something like that but
> it helps add to my 'thrill of the hunt'.

My sentiments exactly, on finding a silver cache, on the other hand, if I found a gold cache.....I would not even tell my wife.....LOL
April 22, 2016 06:28PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> Well I have said it before and been acused of
> pointin' fingers or being a grumpy old man who
> hates newbees.But this kind of behavior and
> Video's gives the people the wrong impression and
> atract the greedy. And I'm sorry to say as you
> didn't want it mention,But this leads to the guys
> leaving holes every where as all they care about
> is how many silver they can get in a year and rest
> be damed. I spend way more time on Forums then I
> use to due to losing about 80% of my sites to
> these clowns and it pissies me off! Sorry but I
> would worry about the passion of a person if it
> didn't. Nuff said.

Harold we know your just a grumpy old man.....you don't hate newbies drinking smiley
April 22, 2016 06:31PM
Well at 53 I'm not that old yet? But I am grumpy. LOL!
April 22, 2016 06:34PM
Bey good topic,

Although I do video a far amount of digs, I don't post a lot of videos. I like to share videos that either have interesting finds, or on a new machine out in the field. I have videos of gold coins being dug, beautiful silver, and rare relics, but IMHO it's unwise to share too much in this hobby for a multitude of reasons.

HH
Cal
April 22, 2016 06:49PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> Well at 53 I'm not that old yet? But I am grumpy.
> LOL!

Well Harold,
I got a few days on you, turned 54 today.
April 22, 2016 09:44PM
Personally I very rarely show my finds. I think the last ring I showed was a few years ago because it was my first Platinum. I stated on the friendly forum numerous times I find the counting of silver finds disgusting. The goal of so many silvers a year disgusting. There is only so many silvers in the ground. A limited quantity. I think certain people act like gluttons. Like the buffalo hunters thinking they could go on forever. And the buffaloes reproduced. Our silver coins are not. The people that show every Mercury Dime in their daily post I just skip over. You want to impress me? Show me how to get the most out of my detector. Show me how to read a beach. Show me that the hobby means more to you than another Barber dime. People that ask me if I found anything? I show them my trash. I'm a pirate. Never show the treasure.
April 22, 2016 10:02PM
goodmore Wrote:
> Personally I very rarely show my finds. I think
> the last ring I showed was a few years ago because
> it was my first Platinum. I stated on the friendly
> forum numerous times I find the counting of silver
> finds disgusting. The goal of so many silvers a
> year disgusting. There is only so many silvers in
> the ground. A limited quantity. I think certain
> people act like gluttons. Like the buffalo hunters
> thinking they could go on forever. And the
> buffaloes reproduced. Our silver coins are not.
> The people that show every Mercury Dime in their
> daily post I just skip over. You want to impress
> me? Show me how to get the most out of my
> detector. Show me how to read a beach. Show me
> that the hobby means more to you than another
> Barber dime. People that ask me if I found
> anything? I show them my trash. I'm a pirate.
> Never show the treasure.

Eloquent post, Goodmore. smiling smiley
April 22, 2016 10:20PM
Mike in CO Wrote:
> goodmore Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Personally I very rarely show my finds. I think
> > the last ring I showed was a few years ago
> because
> > it was my first Platinum. I stated on the
> friendly
> > forum numerous times I find the counting of
> silver
> > finds disgusting. The goal of so many silvers a
> > year disgusting. There is only so many silvers
> in
> > the ground. A limited quantity. I think certain
> > people act like gluttons. Like the buffalo
> hunters
> > thinking they could go on forever. And the
> > buffaloes reproduced. Our silver coins are not.
> > The people that show every Mercury Dime in
> their
> > daily post I just skip over. You want to
> impress
> > me? Show me how to get the most out of my
> > detector. Show me how to read a beach. Show me
> > that the hobby means more to you than another
> > Barber dime. People that ask me if I found
> > anything? I show them my trash. I'm a pirate.
> > Never show the treasure.
>
> Eloquent post, Goodmore. smiling smiley

X2! This is how I feel about this as well! Absolutely nailed what I was talking about!
April 22, 2016 10:23PM
I enjoy Youtube metal detecting videos, especially the basketball trick shot guy's channel. He seems like a nice and responsible young guy. I see nothing about him that would warrant criticism.

If it weren't for Youtube videos, I never would have started metal detecting. I saw some videos years ago by random chance and became intrigued enough to buy a machine. I also became a better detectorist by learning from the videos of people with more experience.
April 22, 2016 11:11PM
Sooo its ok to make it a personal competition as to how many coins u dig..... but what makes it ok is u dont show them? Still sounds like u hate the competition. Sounds a little jealous to me because they are killing it and u arent. So you want to challengetheir finds or talk about them. U wantnthem to slow down an leave it in the ground for u. Sounds a little greedy to me. I notice we pick and choose as to who we like or dislike posting finds. If u want them to be responsible and dig fewer then why even ask for better detectors?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2016 11:13PM by dewcon4414.
April 22, 2016 11:14PM
There's one channel called the silverslingers or something like that where a couple detects together. They make some good finds but it's out in the sticks. The lady gets super excited while her husband is more relaxed, it's kinda funny.
April 22, 2016 11:26PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> Sooo its ok to make it a personal competition as
> to how many coins u dig..... but what makes it ok
> is u dont show them? Still sounds like u hate the
> competition. Sounds a little jealous to me
> because they are killing it and u arent. So you
> want to challengetheir finds or talk about them.
> U wantnthem to slow down an leave it in the ground
> for u. Sounds a little greedy to me. I notice
> we pick and choose as to who we like or dislike
> posting finds. If u want them to be responsible
> and dig fewer then why even ask for better
> detectors?
smileys with beer
April 23, 2016 12:09AM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> detectors?

smileys with beer thumbs down

tabman
April 23, 2016 12:43AM
You gotta be taking about the "silver slingers" that make awesome rare finds everytime she goes out.
I watched one where they dug a supposed old coin pouch that looked like it was buried that day as it wasn't even dirty,all the old silver coins were nice and clean. I had another name for them,,shitslingers.
I don't waist my gigs watching them disrespect the hobby.

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.
April 23, 2016 12:50AM
That is one thing about Bill Ladd's
Video's, I would bet the house his funds are legit. Also He has paid His due's and isn't a Johnny come lately.
It's like His T-shirt says "Passion over Profit".
April 23, 2016 01:10AM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> detectors?

They can post all the finds they want to. I just skip over their posts. I don't care about the competition either. I do feel bad that future generations of hunters won't know what it's like to dig silver out the ground. Maybe these forums will still be be around. They can look up Billy Bob's My 100th silver of the year post and see what a Barber dime looked like. Leave it in the ground for me? I like to dig silver every now and then, but in the end I recon I had my fair share. As far as the competition goes I will say that I enjoy hunting behind other hunters and finding good stuff.That's the competition I enjoy. I put it in my pouch and I don't need to tell anyone. And when I don't find a thing behind someone I think to myself I just followed one hell of a hunter. I mostly hunt salt water beaches now, and it's a big shore line. I welcome other hunters to dig in. But when you find that flat piece of blackened silver with all the features sanded off don't post it because there are a few of us out there that have seen them before. They just are not that exciting. Even if it is number 75 for the season.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2016 01:20AM by goodmore.