Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Oldie but goodie?

Posted by Harold,ILL. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Oldie but goodie?
April 23, 2016 12:30AM
How many of you had a oldie , But goodie detector you wish you had back that they don't make anymore?
I had a Cobra II Metal detector for a short time. This was the George Payne design detector that was as deep as any CZ I ever had! They are not made anymore as Discovery electronics made them and hard to find.But this is one I wish I had back. How about you?
Re: Oldie but goodie?
April 23, 2016 12:36AM
April 23, 2016 12:43AM
Yes that was rite before I found a closet queen on ebay.
That's the one I wish I still had.
April 23, 2016 01:36AM
Heavy as H..l........was a drawback...
April 23, 2016 03:01PM
Yes but deep as H**L also at least in my ground which
Is Moderate to mild.
P.S. The response I got on Findmall was from the late great JB. He was the Man when it came Treasure Baron related Detectors.
RIP.
April 23, 2016 03:21PM
I like the new stuff better than the old classics

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
April 23, 2016 03:26PM
I would take a garage queen 57 Chevy in q heartbeat..lol

I can also see where folks like to run older machines too.

Same with older guns,, a Winchester model 52 22 rimmie,,, never has been one made better since by no one.

Go look at what wins at the competitions??

Saw one win a competition,, and rifle had 1 million rounds down the barrel,, still shooting great,,,with bore scope,,no rifling seen for first 6-8" in barrel- go figure..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2016 03:28PM by tnsharpshooter.
April 23, 2016 03:31PM
I also have an Etrac,But some of the old analogs are fun to use and depth wise are not a slouch like the Treasure Baron models.
April 24, 2016 01:57AM
TNSS........ you mean Model 62?
April 24, 2016 02:39AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> TNSS........ you mean Model 62?

Model 52

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

If a person had a semi truck load of these in mint condition--- would sell extremely high,, dollar wise.

Btw there was a reproduction made-- not the same gun= junk IMO. I think it was manufacturered in Japan.

The originals if I'm not mistaken,,besides the locking bolt design causing them to be so accurate,,,they also had what they call a cut rifling process done to their barrels-- a process that takes a lot more time,,definitely can produce a more consistent barrel,,but with CNC machinery this process not used much anymore.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2016 03:37AM by tnsharpshooter.
April 24, 2016 03:38AM
Hey TNSS...How about Anschutz model 54.22 target rifles? they have accumulated the most gold medals in Olympic competitions for decades.
April 24, 2016 04:04AM
Hombre Wrote:
> Hey TNSS...How about Anschutz model 54.22 target
> rifles? they have accumulated the most gold medals
> in Olympic competitions for decades.

You are correct.

Lots of competition done in the USA back in the 1980s, 1990s, and some in the 2000s,,,the model 52 Winchester was still a force to be reckoned with,,,most times it was Anschutz or the model 52 shooter trading places as far as first or second place.

Remington tried to compete with I think a model 40x,,but it for whatever reason seemed to always finish behind the other 2 here.

I actually have an Ansxhutz model 54 22 rifle--- best trigger on any rifle I have ever shot firearm wise,,,have shot some English and Swedish high dollar air rifles that has as good or even slightly better.
I'm talking stock triggers here.

The model 52,, for all practical purposes has probably seen its better days,,a lot of the guns in great shape are being turned into collectibles vs shooting them.
I made the mistake at a gun show about 10 years ago,,,I could have bought I think it was the 52. C model with original scope--- a very long scope,,,had I had bought,, I could have sold the scope for probably more than the entire gun and scope would have cost me.

There was a Winchester model 74,, probably for back then the closet thing to a Winchester 52,, as far as accuracy that was made in the USA.

Germans have always led the way with accurate firearms,,ammo too.

Since I got into detecting,,my rifle use not near as much,,, but ammo seems harder and harder to get,,besides my eyes aren't what they used to be. If I had a dollar for every 22 cartridge I've ever shot---- would be well let's say better off.
If I had a dollar for every squirrel I've plucked and brought home with a 22 rifle,,Probably in the neighborhood of 50,000 over a 42 year period,,but was active duty AF,,so that cut into my squirrel hunting time a bit.
Some folks may wonder about my forum name,,,now they know. When I signed in on this forum,,I hadn't been detecting for very long,,,probably should have picked a better forum name,,it does sound a bit like bragging,,,,but it is what is. During my life besides shooting rifle,,,it was pool sticks, darts, that was me,,,anything having to do with hand eye coordination,,,fascinated me.
Those were the days,,getting older now,,time to slow down--- and enjoy detecting.
April 24, 2016 11:02AM
Tnss....do you have any really good recipes for preparing squirrel?
April 24, 2016 12:00PM
TNSS....... I have a few 62's, 74's (in .22 Short), Anshutz's, Kimber's (match-grade/closed-chamber/floated/crowned)......and have been rimfire tack-driving all my life. No 52's however.
April 24, 2016 12:34PM
Well,
By looking at your comments Tom, here with your listed models being shot,,,It certainly paints a picture of you,,,why you do what you do with metal detectors,,,being so critical and exacting. It is in your DNA,, no doubt.

I dabbled with Kimber rifles,,,my experiences with them-- they were hit and miss,, I did have one good one though. Hated to see them quit making rim fire rifles though.

I spent a small fortune as I progressed through the ages looking for that one sporting rifle that could outshoot me on a consistent basis,,,it took a while but when I finally got into Anschutz rifle and a Sako finnfire,,I finally met my matches. I don't say this to be bragging either--NOT all rifles are created EQUAL.

This here IMO,,can be related to metal detectors to a large degree,,,meaning a person can spend a lot of money when trying to find the one detector they like and it can perform,,,by buying mid grade detectors hoping for performance while trying to save some loot--- but in the end,,a person probably better off to go for the gusto,, pony up the bucks and never look back.
Sort of like geometry,,the closet distance between any points is a straight line,,,if a person ventures off this "line",, the path is likely longer and in the long run takes more time and money to get to their next point.

Ozzie::: As far a a squirrel recipe,,the key is get them while they are young for frying,,older need to be put in a crock pot and cooked so they will be tender enough to chew.
Fry the young,,and then steam them a bit equals very good meal.
April 24, 2016 04:43PM
Compass Gold Scanner Pro..

Early modified train whistle Nautilus..

Discovery treasure baron with Gold Traxx module

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 24, 2016 04:45PM
Thanks Keith for bringing back my post from the hijackers.LOL!
April 24, 2016 05:16PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> Compass Gold Scanner Pro..
>
> Early modified train whistle Nautilus..
>
> Discovery treasure baron with Gold Traxx module
>
> Keith

Always wanted to try one of those "train whistle" DMCs.
Also Gold scanner pro. Some say deepest Compass made.
April 24, 2016 05:25PM
HA HA..

Yep the GSP was and is one of the deepest Compass units..

Very powerful unit..can hold its own very well even today..

13.77 Khz I believe it was and think it may of had the varifilter..

Way ahead of its time..

I think John Earle made it off of the coin scanner that George Payne designed..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 24, 2016 05:40PM
1. Garrett Groundhog Coinhunter
2. Garrett ADS7
3. Compass 77B
4. Tesoro Silver Sabre
5. Tesoro Gold Sabre
April 25, 2016 12:27AM
Compass coin scanner pro
Tesoro Deep search 7
April 25, 2016 01:00AM
Des D, I see you have a Garretts ADS7 , I to have one that I like. I sent it to Garretts's about 4 or 5 years ago and had it all checked out, put it in it's case and have not opened it yet. It has 4 or 5 coils and takes about 9 or 12 9volt batterys. I think about selling it sometimes and just put it back up. When it spoke there was a coin there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2016 01:02AM by Flintstone.
April 25, 2016 01:13AM
Harold, sorry..I can and do get sidetracked. All those squirrels tnss has taken I knew he could cook them finger licken good.
April 25, 2016 01:37AM
Don't eat Tree Rats Myself..LOL

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
April 25, 2016 02:00AM
Detector wise...I would like to have a Tesoro Bandido II uMax again. I have seen some up for sale recently in well used condition that were the same price as they were when they were new. I have a buddy with some kind of Nautilus. It is not a newer one...but I think it is a IIb. He did the Whites rod conversion for it and then tried selling it but nobody wanted it. I think he was down to about $250 on it. I will check and see if he has it still and if anybody is interested, holler at me.

As for .22 rimfires. I thought those CZ model 452 guns were all the rage the last couple decades or so. I held one and couldn't see why one would cost $400+. It had the cheap feel of a WalMart Marlin. .22 LR ammo got really scarce for a while around here. Stores that had it went from $14 a box over for 500 rounds to $100+ a box over night. As for squirrels. Most eat them as dumplins. I like them that way and I also like them simply rolled in flour and deep fried.
April 26, 2016 07:12AM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> How many of you had a oldie , But goodie detector
> you wish you had back that they don't make
> anymore?
> I had a Cobra II Metal detector for a short time.
> This was the George Payne design detector that was
> as deep as any CZ I ever had! They are not made
> anymore as Discovery electronics made them and
> hard to find.But this is one I wish I had back.
> How about you?

6000 xl-pro!..NEVER should have let it go!
"dead nuts" accurate meter!
compass "judge" 6 high frequency T.R.
deadly coin sniper

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2016 07:18AM by jmaryt.
April 26, 2016 07:16AM
Hombre Wrote:
> Hey TNSS...How about Anschutz model 54.22 target
> rifles? they have accumulated the most gold medals
> in Olympic competitions for decades.

i had one of those! "outrageous" quality!
dead nuts" accurate!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
April 26, 2016 03:46PM
The first detector I ever swung was a Double Eagle.
April 26, 2016 09:34PM
Would have to say I'd like to have kept my Compass Gold Scanner Pro. I think it was probably the best analog metered detector I ever had.