Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

AKA Berkut DirtFishing 3 Hour Hunt

Posted by Sven1 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
AKA Berkut DirtFishing 3 Hour Hunt
April 25, 2016 02:09PM
Took me awhile to get this detector dialed in to where it worked to my liking when it came to Canadian clad.
Did a lot of program changes last night, it basically runs silent in all metal mode now. Sometimes you wonder if its even turned on.
It hits the clad really well, newer and older. Love it when the quarters at 6" down come in nice and clear using the 6" coil, as do the pulltabs.
This new 2016 version I think is more powerful than the older version I had last spring.

I have the only 2016 ver. 5.17 Berkut with the the US English faceplate. Any, if available will only be in Russian.
I got lucky, when AKA was building my Berkut, they had one English faceplate left over from the earlier model.

Found I was overpowering it with a Gain setting of 16-20.
It's happy as can be with a gain set at 7-9. What is nice the 6" coil was getting the 6" targets with no problem, even pencil eraser tops at that setting
and I was not picking up all the deeper trash that drove me crazy the other day with the higher Gain setting.
Now is set perfectly to find the Clad as well as gold rings and jewelry, just have to put the coil over it.
In "my eyes" this is probably the best target ID, tone machine that I have ever used. And does what I need it to do.
Thought I would post my finds for the short time out yesterday.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
Re: AKA Berkut DirtFishing 3 Hour Hunt
April 25, 2016 03:43PM
Nice! Man thats a lot of diggin'. You earned those finds for sure.
April 25, 2016 04:20PM
Nice, looks like your nailing it now
April 25, 2016 05:00PM
I loved the clean audio on the machine and great user options..... Sure been putting in the digging time there, nice.
wjs
April 25, 2016 05:14PM
Can each VDI number have its own tone? I can only find options for up to 91 tones but don't see how you can set them for each ID.
April 25, 2016 07:10PM
Basically you can't.
You can set the volume for the individual group ID sectors, using the Equalizer.
http://www.akaforums.com/threads/berkut-program-mod-settings.463/#post-3742
Equalizer sector volume----set for personal tastes
-90 to -75--------0
-74 to -59--------10 Canadian clad coins
-58 to -43--------9 " "
-42 to -27--------0
-26 to -11--------6 Small Gold, Canadian clad
-10 to +5---------6 " "
+6 to +21- ------9 " "
+22 to +37-------11 Gold
+38 to +51-------17
+52 to +67-------17
+68 to +83-------17
+84 to +90-------15

Getting a more of a variability of tones is using 10 or 91 tones.
Use the Sound Frequency setting, increase the frequency to 6-10 and you will start to hear the individual tones of each sector.
Depends upon how much target information you want and your hearing.
For me 10 tone and Sound Frequency set at 6-7 seems ideal. After awhile you can associate the target with a tone.
At 5 Sound Frequency or less tones start to blend.

The above link provides an excellent base operating program to try and the taylor fit to your own personal tastes. Will be very helpful to the new Berkut owner
without getting lost setting up the Berkut and finding your not ending up with happy settings once you step out of the factory pre-set programs parameters.
The Berkut is not a detector you will learn how to operate over nite once you get away from the pre-set programs.

I think the way the Gain is set up, it provides a lot of power to the coil which can be more useful with the larger coils running a higher setting
With the smaller coils to get max depth you don't need full Gain. 7-9 seemed enough the other day for the 6" coil. If you need some more depth, just switch to Turbo (CC2) before increasing the Gain.
You can also throttle back by switching to Eco mode, saves on batteries as well.

A side note, the All metal side of the Berkut gives enough information that I really don't need to hunt in disc. mode. Using the Equalizer turning down the volume sectors and increasing some has advantages over disc mode
and not hearing a disc'd target and a good target if the disc'd target starts to mask.

Works for me
April 26, 2016 09:12AM
Sweet hunt Sven! You seem to have that Berkut dialed in for sure.

So, If I was to order a new Berkut, perhaps later this fall it would only come with a Russian faceplate?

Again, great hunt.thumbs down
April 26, 2016 12:30PM
Great info Sven,

any chance you will try the Sorex Pro at some point?
April 26, 2016 02:08PM
corvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sweet hunt Sven! You seem to have that Berkut
> dialed in for sure.
>
> So, If I was to order a new Berkut, perhaps later
> this fall it would only come with a Russian
> faceplate?
>
> Again, great hunt.thumbs down

Correct. The Berkut is not the hot seller outside Russia. The Sorex is #1 seller and the powerhouse Signum is #2 seller, for deep relic and coin hunting.
Think its been agreed the Berkut is more of a specialized detector as a sniper rifle is to a sniper.
Don't let the faceplate scare you. After a an hour you know what the buttons do.
Screen and menu system is in English or press a menu button and switch to Russian.
You can inquire what will be available thru the contacts on my website.

Works for me
April 26, 2016 02:11PM
Druid Wrote:
> Great info Sven,
>
> any chance you will try the Sorex Pro at some
> point?

You never know, right now don't have the need for one. Think I might go to the far end and get a Signum.

Works for me
April 26, 2016 09:49PM
sven for an old fart , you can really dig. looks like a real good set up you have . by the way , what are those Iron things in the upper left i find them in one of my sports fields

Curantly own a Mirage P.I made by sven , and a silver Umax with ground balance mode, and a Tesoro Tejon
April 26, 2016 11:46PM
Gunnar, My goal is dig them out and leave nothing and until I get my first Loonie and or Twoonie, or hit the $5 mark, dig like a young'in. About a target every two minutes or less.
I'm for about 2 hours at that pace before I slow down. Started using a pinpointer when digging a target, speeds up recovery time when using a DD coil.

Those metal things, you find them at sports fields, they area type of tri-glides used to adjust nylon webbing straps, probably from gear bags.....etc.

Works for me
April 27, 2016 01:09AM
Sven1 Wrote:

> Those metal things, you find them at sports
> fields, they area type of tri-glides used to
> adjust nylon webbing straps, probably from gear
> bags.....etc.

They are off football shoulder pad straps.
April 27, 2016 11:26PM
thats interesting , because i find them on a football field, thanks for the confirmation.

Curantly own a Mirage P.I made by sven , and a silver Umax with ground balance mode, and a Tesoro Tejon