Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

MX Sport 1st hunt

Posted by Daniel Tn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
MX Sport 1st hunt
April 28, 2016 08:15PM
I took the Sport to its first relic hunting site; the same place I took the Fors Relic a couple weeks ago...aka the powerline site. I thought hard about bringing both machines with me but it is a pretty good trek from the truck to this spot and I didn't want to lug two detectors with me. I knew as soon as I walked out onto the powerline that I was going to do good to find anything at all. The grass/weeds have really shot up in the last couple weeks; it was an average of knee high on today's hunt which makes for some tough hunting.

Well let's get into it.

The first thing is that the Sport is not as EMI friendly as the Relic. I think there are 7 settings for freq adjustment on it and I never found a clear one out of the 7. But in all fairness, I am talking about those big power lines with the ball looking things on them that you can hear the electricity sizzling through them over head. Under them is where I had the most trouble but I was able to get into a patch of woods about 20 yards or so from the powerlines and it was very quiet in there.

The second thing is, my Sport doesn't have the lagging tone firmware but it does have a couple little quirks that I found. I think it was basstracker that mentioned his machine didn't have much audio in the pinpoint mode. Mine is the same way. Something at 1 inch deep sounds like it is 6+ inches deep in pinpoint mode...and anything past about 3 inches doesn't give audio at all. I am interested to know if they fixed this in the latest version.

Other wise...I really REALLY like this detector. It has a familiar feel of an MXT Pro to me or at least that is how I have it setup to be. I think it has a little more muscle than the MXT on depth AND is faster recovery too. I didn't find as many bullets on this hunt but I did find them...and there wasn't any digging iffy signals to get them either. They all gave very good signals and I dug a lot of non ferrous targets up there that should have been got by the Relic on the last hunt. Namely...ring style pulltabs and shotgun brass. The pulltabs will normally fall into what I call the bullet range too...those could have been Civil War bullets. And the older shotgun shells are actually brass and not steel like the ones are today...so they ring out a lot better on a detector. That's what I was finding up there...they come out nice and green and make the heart race a few paces faster when you think it might be a button or something good. The deepest keeper was a Burnside casing that was nearly a foot down; deepest bullet was about 8 inches. They both gave good positive numbers indicating a non ferrous target.

I got a couple Burnsides, the casing to a Burnside, a 3 ring minie ball, and one mystery bullet I am going to have to look into. It measures .445 diameter and is .795 long. It looks like a miniature Spencer carbine bullet but is only .44 caliber. Also one of the smallest 2 piece buttons I've ever dug. It is a simple flower design button...but very small. This site is done until the winter comes and knocks the vegetation down some.

I came home and found a package on my porch....and lo and behold it was the 6x10 coil for the Mx Sport that I ordered. I wish I had it with me on my hunt but oh well.

Mystery bullet:

A little friend I met on the powerline. I LOVE box turtles!! I am one of those guys that will stop and help them cross a road to keep them from being splatted.

Re: MX Sport 1st hunt
April 28, 2016 09:04PM
Nice hunt and thanx for sharing the story. BTW, what was the TID on the turtle? smiling smiley
April 28, 2016 10:23PM
Looks like a Colt variant .Could be a Hayes also..

Nice Digs..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 28, 2016 10:52PM
Good information. Thanks for the report.
April 28, 2016 11:02PM
Thanks Daniel

Good hunt and really appreciate the MX Sport report. It's starting to tick the right boxes for me.

Tom

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
April 29, 2016 01:04AM
Good little hunt Daniel.

Thanks for sharing.
April 29, 2016 01:23AM
Glad ya got out Daniel. Always nice to pull something you've never dug before in the bullet. Swung one in a test garden up in PA but the heart wasn't into it. Not to say I thought it was a good or bad unit, the other units are taking up my time lol.
April 29, 2016 01:49AM
Good to hear some good news - thanks!
April 29, 2016 02:26PM
I played with the 6x10 coil yesterday evening and this morning. It is much more stable over the stock MX Sport coil. Obviously it doesn't go as deep as the stock coil but I think it will be the better coil in water and on land. The stock Sport coil reminds me of the DeTech Ultimate coils...you either get a good one or erratic one. My Sport is a little noisy with the stock coil but purrs like a kitten with the 6x10.

On the pinpoint issue. I have determined that the detector can actually still pinpoint the target under the coil and give a depth readout for it. It just doesn't give audio for it if it is beyond 3 or 4 inches. It still needs addressed; I'm sure Whites has been made aware of it.

I think they were probably in a rush with a lot of management pressure to get these detectors on the market before water season began and just didn't have the time to work out a few bugs. I've been in manufacturing for 15 years and know exactly how that works.
April 29, 2016 07:54PM
Dan - Tom here, I work at White's. Can you check something for me? How many levels of SAT do you have in Relic mode? Thanks for your patience.
April 29, 2016 08:21PM
Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice hunt and thanx for sharing the story. BTW,
> what was the TID on the turtle? smiling smiley

Now that's funny! Still laughing. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Congrats on the finds and thanks for posting.

Gonebeepin'

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
April 29, 2016 09:56PM
Box turtles are relics themselves. Some have lived to be 100 or so yrs old. smiling smiley

Tom -- Mine has 6 levels of SAT in the Relic mode.
April 30, 2016 12:37AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Box turtles are relics themselves. Some have
> lived to be 100 or so yrs old. smiling smiley
>
> Tom -- Mine has 6 levels of SAT in the Relic mode.

Daniel,, here is something interesting,,,this gent says his SAT has 8 levels,,and he states he has the latest and greatest firmware.

Down in this thread..poster name is Gambler.

[www.detectorprospector.com]

And in this thread,,,actually same as above different page,,,,seems you don't have latest firmware.

[www.detectorprospector.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2016 12:43AM by tnsharpshooter.
April 30, 2016 01:09AM
Actually there is quite a bit of confusion on who has what on the firmware. There have apparently been 3 versions. The original version had the delay audio and tone smearing with 8 settings of SAT. The second version fixed the audio delay but had a problem with modulation engaged. It had a max of 6 SAT settings. This must be the one I have...as an additional bug, the pinpoint audio is almost non existant. The last qnd latest version they must have put the SAT max back at 8 and fixed the modulation bug but I reckon this version is the one that people are waiting on their machines to come back with. So who knows if the pinpoint audio has been addressed or not. There haven't been many get theirs back yet to know.

I'm not too worried about it. Version 2 is working great for me in the field. I seldom use a pinpoint button...that is the whole reason I have a hand held pinpointer anyway smiling smiley I've used DD coils long enough I can pinpoint things dead center of my plug or hole. The only time I use the pinpointer is when I'm hunting with the GPX to make sure the target is actually down in the center of the hole or if its a bent nail in the sidewall.