Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Took the Omega out tonight with the 8" concentric coil

Posted by Jackpine 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Took the Omega out tonight with the 8" concentric coil
April 29, 2016 01:20AM
And I have to say that there is no way I will sell this machine after using it with the concentric coil. Total game changer for hunting in iron. It has been so long since I have used a concentric coil that I had forgotten how satisfying it is to work the iffiest of signals and just know it's not iron. No way DD's give the same confidence level. I hunted the same site that I posted about in the G2/Racer 2 comparo and where the Omega was worked with the 6x10 DD. the last time there I used the Racer 2 with the 5.5x10 coil and got zero non-ferrous targets. In the hour I spent there 4 targets came to light, a metal valve stem cap, a large reed, a tiny sliver of non-ferrous metal and what looks like a small wire crimp.

The reed was a solid no brainer and the other 3 gave good enough initial hits to investigate but were only detectable as non-ferrous from narrow angles of approach with dead on iron sounds in the exact same spot from other angles. It really felt good to have a concentric coil on the end of the stick!

The rice krispies problem is almost totally solved only the occasional crack on the worst iron. I did not watch the screen a lot but when I did it was apparent that there were far less of the gray TID zones showing when sweeping over a target. The recovery in the standard modes is very fast with each machine gun iron grunt clearly delineated..no smearing or hanging on of tones AND the non-ferrous tones seemed less abrupt so more clearly heard in the iron noise.

IMo Teknetics needs to make the 8"er the standard coil.

Tom

Edit to add: Only chased two iffy iron signals and had a coupe moe that were the triangular blades off a sickle bar mower that sounded and read good but had a fairly large PP area.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2016 01:28AM by Jackpine.
Re: Took the Omega out tonight with the 8" concentric coil
April 29, 2016 02:00AM
Nice report Tom. Good finds. Concentric coils are great in our ground.
April 29, 2016 02:03AM
I wish teknetics would make the 4" concentric ultra coil for individual sale and screw on connector. That thing aces the nailboard test on the omega AND gets 10" on a quarter in the air. 7" in my ground.
April 29, 2016 02:16AM
on the omega the stock coil is my favorite...winking smiley

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 29, 2016 02:21AM
detectingMO Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wish teknetics would make the 4" concentric
> ultra coil for individual sale and screw on
> connector. That thing aces the nailboard test on
> the omega AND gets 10" on a quarter in the air. 7"
> in my ground.

Craig

A good small coil would be great. I really did not care for the 7" (approx) oblong concentric that I tried. In this ground with the 8" it called a freshly buried 8" (approx) dime iron anything less and it hits it fine. The T2 classic with stock coil gives an intermittent ferrous/nonferrous signal on the 8" dime.

Thanks for the great deal on the coil.

Tom

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2016 02:27AM by Jackpine.
April 29, 2016 02:27AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> on the omega the stock coil is my favorite...winking smiley
>
> Keith

The 10" concentric?

Tom

April 29, 2016 12:44PM
I've been using the 8 inch concentric search coil for years on the Omega. It handles EMI better, pinpoints better and discriminates better than the 10 inch concentric elliptical and the 11 inch DD search coils do. It especially works well at handling those annoying rusty pry caps. Oh yeah, it gets good depth as well.

tabman
April 29, 2016 03:14PM
Round concentric coils are becoming my favorites. To bad a lot of manufacturers seem to think they're obsolete.
April 29, 2016 03:28PM
The 8 does not unmask as well as the 10 Elliptical concentric..

It will be noticed the most in the thickest saturated nail sites..And you answered the question why it does so well in Iron Tabman....Its sputtey on crown caps.. type coil's that gets sputtery on crown caps offers advantage in nails looking for non ferrous intermingled a bit better than say a clean reject coil.

While we are on the Subject of concentrics....that 11" teardrop that comes on the F44...WOW what a coil....DEEEEEP and in the toe separates like a 5"...

I went to some spots with that coil on the F44( and by the way the F44 is alot of bang for the buck)full of nails and dug some of my deepest ever three ringers in the nails with that coil...I mean 9 inch three ringers in thick nails..

It was during prototype testing and I was actually blown away by that setup in iron with such a large coil...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2016 07:29PM by Keith Southern.
April 29, 2016 06:17PM
I have been thinking about picking one of these Omega 8000s up to use strictly for curb strip hunting.
I'm not happy with my CTX coil options for this type of hunting so I wanted something with a roughly 10x5 coil
that is light with a very accurate ID and depth indicator. I like to cherry pick silver curb strip hunting..
Does the Omega fit the bill or is there something out there better for this task?
Thanks,
Bryan
April 29, 2016 06:30PM
Man the F44 I tested got no where near the depth you talk about Keith. I think FTP sends you all the hot units!
April 29, 2016 07:34PM
It wasn't a depth demon but worked well in Iron with such a large coil on deeper than NORM non ferrous target of high conductance.....

Funny thing about iron...its hard to get depth in it ..but every once in awhile you can get a combo to get decent depth in iron..

A musketeer advantage with the 10 inch coil is another one that will surprise you in thick nails by digging deep silver...

Oh believe me I've had some real head scratchers too from FTP...Like how did they get out the door type things..LOL

FTP has some GOOD out of box thinking coil designs though..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
April 29, 2016 11:36PM
Cabin Fever Wrote:
> I have been thinking about picking one of these
> Omega 8000s up to use strictly for curb strip
> hunting.
> I'm not happy with my CTX coil options for this
> type of hunting so I wanted something with a
> roughly 10x5 coil
> that is light with a very accurate ID and depth
> indicator. I like to cherry pick silver curb strip
> hunting..
> Does the Omega fit the bill or is there something
> out there better for this task?
> Thanks,
> Bryan

Yes there is--it's called the F-19!
April 30, 2016 11:08AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> It wasn't a depth demon but worked well in Iron
> with such a large coil on deeper than NORM non
> ferrous target of high conductance.....
>
> Funny thing about iron...its hard to get depth in
> it ..but every once in awhile you can get a combo
> to get decent depth in iron..
>
> A musketeer advantage with the 10 inch coil is
> another one that will surprise you in thick nails
> by digging deep silver...
>
> Oh believe me I've had some real head scratchers
> too from FTP...Like how did they get out the door
> type things..LOL
>
> FTP has some GOOD out of box thinking coil designs
> though..
>
> Keith

Keith

The ID Edge together with the Musky made one of the best detector combos I have used for coin hunting at old sites. There won't be much left after they go through an area. smiling smiley

Tom

April 30, 2016 02:28PM
Tom, If you know someone with the small white elliptical concentric for the F75 / F70 try it on the Omega. I used it on a Gamma I had and it worked great in the trashy areas. TID was spot on, depth measurement was off a little; but it also was on my F75. Detecting depth was less than the 5" DD but discrimination was better and EMI was less.

Alan
January 25, 2017 04:56PM
Alan in East Bay Wrote:
> Tom, If you know someone with the small white elli
> ptical concentric for the F75 / F70 try it on the
> Omega. I used it on a Gamma I had and it worked gr
> eat in the trashy areas. TID was spot on, depth me
> asurement was off a little; but it also was on my
> F75. Detecting depth was less than the 5" DD but
> discrimination was better and EMI was less.
>
> Alan

Alan

I remembered this post of yours and tried the 6.5" elliptical concentric on the Omega and it seems to work very well when doing some simple tests inside the house. Will defintely give it a try come spring.

Thanks
Tom

January 25, 2017 10:59PM
My exerience with the F75 coils on the 7.8 kHz units is that they run ok within a certain signal strength, then cut off. Once your target drops below the required signal strength, its over. So while they work ( and I use them too) there is no modulation. They are on and off.

Another thing along with the 8" concentric on the 8500 is to raise all the segment volume settings to max. That stops a lot of falsing caused by audio "breaking" into/out of a segment. For some reason they could not refine this part of the audio plan so when you reduce a segment's volume setting you get a lot of noise spikes.

I agree the 8500 likes concentrics.

HH
Mike
January 25, 2017 11:05PM
Mike Hillis Wrote:
> My exerience with the F75 coils on the 7.8 kHz uni
> ts is that they run ok within a certain signal str
> ength, then cut off. Once your target drops below
> the required signal strength, its over. So while
> they work ( and I use them too) there is no modula
> tion. They are on and off.
>
> Another thing along with the 8" concentric on the
> 8500 is to raise all the segment volume settings t
> o max. That stops a lot of falsing caused by audi
> o "breaking" into/out of a segment. For some reas
> on they could not refine this part of the audio pl
> an so when you reduce a segment's volume setting y
> ou get a lot of noise spikes.
>
> I agree the 8500 likes concentrics.
>
> HH
> Mike

Mike

Are the segment volumes at max by default? I'll have to grab the manual.

Tom

January 27, 2017 03:55PM
I had to look at the manual, too, Tom. Preset for notch volume is 0, the highest setting.

HH
Mike
January 27, 2017 09:10PM
Thanks Mike

Temporarily misplaced the manual.