Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Do you realize......

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Do you realize......
January 06, 2011 02:01PM
Fisher has come out with:

Gold Bug & SE
Teknetics G2
F70
F75
F75 LTD
F75 Special Edition
T2
T2 LTD
F2
F4
F5
Omega-8000 (and all of this series Delta/Gamma etc....)

.....and a bunch more things. All in a matter of just a few short years. I don't think I have ever seen any Mfr produce so much new stuff.....in such a short period of time. We should NOT take this for granted.......NOR should we always 'expect' this type of rapid new-production status.
Re: Do you realize......
January 06, 2011 04:34PM
I'm glad the F5 was one of those. Never been more happy with any metal detector than I am with the F5.

HH
Mike
January 06, 2011 06:29PM
You forgot the T2 SE Tom.---That's one I got.----Change of color anyway (from the camo). grin ---------Del
January 07, 2011 05:57AM
just "one" more!..a g2 with a 6.5 khz frequency.
think they got it "nailed" with this detector!..give us a "lower" frequency
for "silver" at depth!..c'mon spring?

(h.h.!)
j.t.
January 07, 2011 10:25PM
((( good )))
January 10, 2011 02:55PM
A lot from what I see is a marketing situation .....It's like Fender Stratocaster guitars, or Harley Davidson motorcycles ....... They change a few things around on the product , and give it a new name , and we have a bunch of new offerings floating around ......No disrespect meant .....It's all good , but nothing in the industry has come out that has blown my skirt up !!..... In Garretts defense , and even with the coil issue , they have come out with a machine that will ID in water and also ID's in what they call "Free " mode which is an All Metal mode !!.....all this for around $500 - $600!!...... Works for me !!...... Let's see something TRUELY NEW !!! .....Again , no disrepect meant ..... I'd like to see something WOW me for a change ....Jim
January 10, 2011 10:40PM
Yes some of these can group together and there is some crossover but the
F5 / O8 LTDs and now GB/G2 are pushing themselves as well as others.
Most of the upper end FT units have had AM ID for some time now.
Most of this in the last five years.
Glad to see Garrett out with a new machine, but was a long time comming.
Dont think eyes are not on FT to see what rolls out next.
January 10, 2011 10:59PM
We could sure use some AT waterproof machines that are reasonabley priced !! ....... Jim
January 11, 2011 02:15AM
........and that is something that I should have mentioned in the Garrett AT Pro thread. That being; I am a strong proponent for 10' waterproof operation. Living in tropical 'sudden sideways rainstorm' Florida........mild waterproofing.....is a good thing for outdoor electronics.
January 22, 2011 02:03AM
Tom, why do you think they put out so many new ones, do you think the detector community has grown 10 fold, you would think they would lose money with so many different types, maybe they know we all own 5 to 6 detectors and some many more, and people like variety
January 22, 2011 01:31PM
Many reasons. I speculate the primary reason is that: Dave Johnson (and others) derive a new concept ....at the 'near completion' (in mid-flight) of a new design.......but don't have enough time to incorporate it into the new unit on the drawing board. The new unit gets released without the incorporation of the newest thought/concept. Then...............back to the drawing board to create, test, enhance/improve this newest concept......and measure its usefullness/marketability; subsequently followed by "WHAT/WHICH" specific unit would this newest concept have proper targeted application. Then................this somewhat minor incorporation-effort tested-concept is employed into the correct/specific unit...........a new badge/name is implemented.......for the introduction of a 'new release'. The implementation of this 'new concept' may be fairly minor, minute', easy..................yet...................it may have a fairly large 'real-world' performance gain/attribute. Several detectors come to mind........with the Omega being on the top of the list. From a 'mankind improvement' standpoint.......to capture and implement each concept......in mid-flight.........is the 'positive displacement' stepping-stone/ladder for maximum bell-curve rapid growth/improvement.

Yes, Mfr's like to have 'new releases'............and of different pricing scales (target market)..............and also to capture the financial 'new release' bell-curve.
Re: Do you realize
January 22, 2011 02:35PM
Okay Tom. Here's my NASA trivia question. Do any of our planetary space exploration craft/modules incorporate metal detectors. Spectrum analyzers don't count. They have to be RF wave based metal detectors, like we use. And if yes, who are the manufacturers?
January 22, 2011 06:28PM
No......but I'm sure there are plenty that would like to have their foot in the door.
January 24, 2011 05:08AM
Sorry Tom,
It just seems to me that First Texas is just looking for different angles to make more money, just like the car companys make minor cosmetic changes on the next years models just for those who have to have the newest car. It seems to me they could hold off and incorporate alot of those ideas into fewer models instead of a dozen or more.
Aaron
January 24, 2011 12:18PM
TerraDigger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Okay Tom. Here's my NASA trivia question. Do any
> of our planetary space exploration craft/modules
> incorporate metal detectors. Spectrum analyzers
> don't count. They have to be RF wave based metal
> detectors, like we use. And if yes, who are the
> manufacturers?

I often wondered about this? I worked for Bicron for alot of years, Manufacturers/growers of organic scintilators,sodium iodide crystals,fibers etc.. for detection purposes. Some products were used in/for space....It would be a site to see an astronaut swinging a detector....
January 24, 2011 12:53PM
Aaron i know you have used some of these unit.
You have to give FT a little credit for want thy have done in a short time.
Weight ,Speed,Batt life working in iron to name a few.
Where others have done nothing in 10 to 15 years.
Thy are all in it to make money.
Starting with the T2/F75 then the Omega and now the
GB/ G2 give one a try if you can . There not the deepest but working in
iron and there ID is great. Good Luck
January 24, 2011 07:01PM
I happen to like the mix and match features set releases. What rings your bell doesn't ring mine and what rings my bell doesn't ring yours. If there are enough variations out there, chances are one of them will be your bell ringer. I had tried well over 30 units (I think I'm hovering around the 40 mark now) before I found my bell ringer in the F5 for inland jewelry hunting (which is what I do the most)

Its not the basic performance that endears you to a detector, it is the feature set that allows you to drive the detector that endears you to it. The closer the feature set is to ringing your bell, the better you like driving the detector and the better your finds get.

HH
Mike
January 25, 2011 12:50AM
Ironic this subject came up in exacting terms.....as....yesterday, I hunted nearly exclusively with the Teknetics Omega. The particular property is exactly the middle/center of a Seminole Indian war Fort. The dirt is flipped/tilled/turned. Depth linearity is no longer accurate. Targets were found .... to a maximum depth of 2-1/2". . . . . even though the Omega is a 10" capable unit. Carpets of nails prevent the electromagnetic energy from exceeding 2-1/2". This area has been completely sanatized of ALL non-ferrous targets with the F75 LTD. It could (also) only detect to a depth of 2-1/2"..... maximum.

What I want to say is: I'm glad Dave Johnson made a couple of minor mod's to a unit.....rebadged it as a 'Omega'.....and released it to market. (((He will never forget these mod's.....and may incorporate them into further (future/upcoming) units))). These minor changes.....make for a fairly large (and measurable) performance gain in the real-world. Bottom line: I found quite a few more (higher conductor) targets with the Omega (behind the F75).....that would audibly resolve a bit better (than the F75).......and with minimal iron fatigue. The Omega is quieter in the iron vs the F75. I suspect/surmise the justification/rationale behind the recovery of these targets is two-fold. 1) The lower operating freq. 2) Less mental fatigue IRT iron audio.

ANY improvement to ANY detector.........................minor, major....or otherwise...... is welcomed and wanted! Life is short! Accept advancements any way you can ascertain them!
January 25, 2011 06:40AM
Aaron, all companies (at least all successful ones) are in business first and foremost to make money, preferably as much as possible.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people think there is something inherently wrong with that.

Many companies boast about all they do for charity, saving the planet or whatever.

But their success rests on their ability to make money. Profits are what drives business. Everything else is peripheral.

Of course First Texas is releasing more machines to make more money, and I say God bless 'em for doing so. It gives all of us more choices to get the detector(s) most suited to our needs.

And the more money they make, the more money they sink into R&D. Which means more improvements and better detectors.
January 25, 2011 08:38AM
this is correct!..FIRST AND FOREMOST,most businesses are ALSO in business
NOT to give anyone a "break",but as you so eloquently pointed out,to make money!
one must never lose sight of this fact,for if one does,you WILL suffer the consequences!
make no mistake,the motto: "let the buyer beware" has never been more truthful
than it is in today's economic climate!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
January 25, 2011 02:39PM
Many factors here; competition, product or service, size of company, decision makers of company, employees, unions, customers, subcontractors, resources, economy, government involvement etc. etc. A lot going on here, either one can help or hurt the other. Many of the factors can't be controlled by the owners.

Most people who have never been business owners don’t have a clue of what it takes to make it work. Many business owners aren’t sure, even if they have and follow a plan. There are so many rules, laws, red tape, procedures, its mind boggling. The ones following the rules & laws have to compete with the ones who do not, how do you do that? Some say that they won't last long. That may be true, but another will take their place.

Being in business is about making money, why shouldn't you make money and profit? You're the one taking the risk, you're the one that could loose everything if something goes wrong, you're the one who doesn’t stop thinking about the business 24/7. If there is no profit, what’s the incentive? what's the sense?

Companies will give you a break if they can, it's usually figured in on the product or service. Call backs are expensive, they eat into the profits if their is no "fudge factor" in the cost. If profits are lost, company may go out of business, employees go on unemployment. Unemployment Insurance is considered a labor burden (one of many) and is factored into the cost of the product or service and is borne by the buyer.

I can go on and on about this and others can certainly add much to it, so I’ll stop here by saying “capitalism and being a free people go together, not sure you can have one without the other. It seems like the word freedom is becoming a much smaller word in America. We have lost what our founding fathers knew and felt about freedom and liberty. There is a mutation happening here, and it’s not pretty.
Ozzie......what a well written synopsis
January 25, 2011 08:07PM
Especially the last paragraph.
January 26, 2011 08:37AM
first and foremost,i never said it was wrong for a business to make money!
as you pointed out,and i agree,that's the motivating factor for being in business to begin with.
running a "successful" business is,well,an entirely different topic,and it is important for the "'consumer"
to be "cautious" in dealing with ANY particular business in these ,rather, "uncertain" times!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
January 27, 2011 10:57PM
My five year old T2 works better than my G2.

It seems like the detector world has drawn a parallel to Wal-Mart.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2011 10:59PM by TheOtherLeggoHead.
January 30, 2011 07:03PM
Maybe that's because you have five years of experience using it. I'm most comfortable with my F75 LTD, having had the stock F75 and T2 before it. I haven't put in enough time with my G2 to feel that it's my go to machine, but it has its place. I'm loving it in some of the nail infested sites I've already hunted with the LTD.
January 30, 2011 08:58PM
hi crosby!
i'm just curious!..what,in your experience, is the best attribute(s)
in the (l.t.d) as opposed to the standard f-75?..thanks!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
January 31, 2011 01:23AM
Wow this is interesting but for me each detector Fisher and Tek has made has allowed me to enjoy the hobby more and help me find history. I have the LTD the G2 and the 8000. I have spent a lot of time now on the G2 and may like it the best in my dirt but I would love to see or test a new detector for Fisher or Tek....

I have not liked or am willing to spend my money on any other company till I see what will be coming out next from Fisher and Tek. I am in no hurry because you can never learn enough about a good detector. Good to see Mike Scott on the forum smiling smiley

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
January 31, 2011 03:54AM
Hi jmaryt,

For me the best thing about the LTD is the boost mode. Being able to have an air gap of several inches in grass is a great help. Also the audio on iffy signals has more of a "dig me" quality than in de mode. I am also blown away by the depth the 5" DD coil gets in boost mode..
January 31, 2011 04:26AM
The BP mode in the LTD is flat-out deeper than any other standard F75 mode, air gap or not... 5" DD, 11" DD, or 4x6 concentric. In my red clay test bed, in bone dry conditions, I can only ascertain my 8" buried silver dime in BP or CL modes; none of the original F75 modes will touch it. My original F75 would not touch it.

Tom, you've said that in coin hunting situations the LTD offers little improvement over the base F75. But in my conditions the data proves otherwise.
January 31, 2011 02:29PM
How do you think this quick pace has affected the resale? I guess what im asking is if i have one of these earlier detectors has Fisher shot me in the foot where the only option i may have is trade in. I love technology, but a couple of changes then BOOM another detector comes out making mine yesterdays news hurts.

Dew