Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Analog sounding digital detector's?

Posted by Harold,ILL. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Analog sounding digital detector's?
May 18, 2016 03:44PM
I was thinking about this the other day when hunting with the Etrac and listening to a Sweet deep silver warble. I was thinking the Etrac to Me has a Analog type sound for a digital. The Explorer is more fluty the CTX 3030 more digital. Any other digitals detectors that have that Faux Analog type audio?
Re: Analog sounding digital detector's?
May 19, 2016 12:37AM
Harold- My ears like the 50 tone on the CTX and the Explorer2 with the Vari cranked to 10....I have assumed that the Explorer sounds a bit different in Conduct than Ferrous because it's putting the audio component of the CO on top of the FE component,vice verse if running in Ferrous....which gives the machine that 2 dimensional,or whatever you want to call it,sound. I was more than pleased when running the stock silver program that has 50 tone on the CTX and I could hear the similarities to the EX2. That "deep coin" tinkle is a joy to hear,though no solid 100% guarantee that it's a silver anything...but many times it is,just because depth equates to age usually. I've gotten that sweet sound on more than one 10" coin in my sopping wet river park only to find a clad quarter! But,it seems that the Mercs are a dead giveaway with a spectacular sound to them with the EX2. Maybe because of the deep strike and the overall surface qualities,who knows. Just typing...smiling smiley
May 19, 2016 02:55PM
I guess you could say the MXT has a faux analog tone. And I guess technically a Digital CZ , But still a Analog bar graph with out number read out still a Analog?
May 19, 2016 03:26PM
To me the Etrac is about as digital sounding as a machine can get. I think the m-6, CZ's and Tesoros have that old analog sound but not the Safari/ Etrac FBS machines. Jmo maybe !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2016 03:29PM by Fletch88.
May 19, 2016 05:30PM
If you think the Etrac sounds digital try the CTX 3030.
I hear some say you can tweak it to sound more like Etrac but I never could. Also I think the F-75,T2, type detectors are as digital sounding as you can get.
May 19, 2016 06:05PM
I have a lot of running time in on analog metal detectors, some favorites are my White's 5900 CB in the more wide open spaces, IDX Pro in the trash both ferrous and non ferrous. The Tesoros that tickle me silly are the early first two Bandidos and for Target ID machines I like the Toltec100 and Toltec ll.

And the digital machine that closely mimics the 2 filter Tesoros and White's Classic IDX Pro..The MX5 is the one I prefer when set up in "one" tone in the Coin mode and the first 3 notches of iron and disc'ed out. Finding a clean spot of ground in the all metal then doing a ground balance by bobbing the coil is important for good performance. I've been using the little 6½" concentric coil with good success in the iron, every bit as good as the IDX Pro and Tesoro Bandido, only deeper than those two.
May 19, 2016 09:54PM
How about a analog detector with Digital traits...

DeepTech has combined the Beauty of old school analog audio with the New School digital type traits ..super fast audio with a two tone that is user defined break point..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
May 20, 2016 09:50AM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you think the Etrac sounds digital try the CTX
> 3030.
> I hear some say you can tweak it to sound more
> like Etrac but I never could. Also I think the
> F-75,T2, type detectors are as digital sounding as
> you can get.

T2 has some analog nuance that I can hear especially in 3 tone mode. Something different in the audio, more than a beep, that alerts me to non-ferrous in iron. It seems to kick in on a mis-swept item, that is, when you miss a target with the center of the coil due to insufficient overlap and there is nearby iron under the coil also.. Don't know how to explain it but its a definite clue to a non ferrous target in the iron that stands out in the audio to me..One of the reasons I prefer the T2 over the R2.

Tom

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2016 09:55AM by Jackpine.
May 20, 2016 10:05AM
Yes I have had 2 CTX's over the years. The closest way to make it sound like the Etrac is to keep it in 50 tone conductive but that would be silly since Combined audio is one of the better features of the CTX over the Etrac.

Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> If you think the Etrac sounds digital try the CTX
> 3030.
> I hear some say you can tweak it to sound more
> like Etrac but I never could. Also I think the
> F-75,T2, type detectors are as digital sounding as
> you can get.
May 22, 2016 07:48PM
Hombre Wrote:
> I have a lot of running time in on analog metal
> detectors, some favorites are my White's 5900 CB
> in the more wide open spaces, IDX Pro in the trash
> both ferrous and non ferrous. The Tesoros that
> tickle me silly are the early first two Bandidos
> and for Target ID machines I like the Toltec100
> and Toltec ll.
>
> And the digital machine that closely mimics the 2
> filter Tesoros and White's Classic IDX Pro..The
> MX5 is the one I prefer when set up in "one" tone
> in the Coin mode and the first 3 notches of iron
> and disc'ed out. Finding a clean spot of ground in
> the all metal then doing a ground balance by
> bobbing the coil is important for good
> performance. I've been using the little 6½"
> concentric coil with good success in the iron,
> every bit as good as the IDX Pro and Tesoro
> Bandido, only deeper than those two.

Hombre, excellent observations. So if if the MX5 is every bit as good as the IDX Pro in iron only deeper, would you say that the MXT and M6 would also be as good in iron and deeper too than the IDX Pro? Just curious since I used to have an IDX and liked it, and now I have an MXT, but never had them both at the same time to do side by side testing. I've always wondered if I was missing anything in the trash using the MXT instead of my old IDX.

The one great thing I like about the MXT is its "analog" sounding audio. I struggled with the V series for a couple years before finally giving up. Eventually I came to the conclusion that it was the digital sounding audio on the V series that I hated. The audio on the MXT was far superior and that's why I ultimately went back to the MXT.

Interesting thread, thanks for bringing it up, Harold. Still loving my XL Pro, by the way.
May 22, 2016 08:27PM
Darren...

I can only comment on what I am experienced with, so that leaves out the MXT and M6. The Tesoro ED-120 machines like the Bandido and Toltec ll & Pantera are hard to beat in the small ferrous trash. The MX5 set up in one tone with iron notched out comes very close to that benchmark performance, even more so than the IDX Pro with the 6½" 5.3 small coil. I just scored the 5½" HotHead Ferret coil made by Discovery electronics for my IDX Pro and it is proving to be a better and deeper coil than the White's 6½" 5.3 coil. The Ferret coil is a very rare coil for the 6.59 kHz White's machines, I was blessed to find one.
May 23, 2016 12:01AM
the delta pitch on fisher f75 was the worst sounding digital tones ive ever heard. minelab with the etrac, x-terras etc are the tones i like most. v3i tones i was ok with but i dont like sharp tones. the f75 was a good machine but the sharp edges on the tones gave me headaches. the racer tones and the t2 are a little better.. the mx5 was too digital sounding for me.
May 23, 2016 12:38AM
basstrackerman Wrote:
> the delta pitch on fisher f75 was the worst
> sounding digital tones ive ever heard. minelab
> with the etrac, x-terras etc are the tones i like
> most. v3i tones i was ok with but i dont like
> sharp tones. the f75 was a good machine but the
> sharp edges on the tones gave me headaches. the
> racer tones and the t2 are a little better.. the
> mx5 was too digital sounding for me.

Hey Bill, did you ever try the MX5 with the 'one' tone setting in the Coin mode ? that little adjustment completely changes the MX5 into a faster responding machine with a quick recovery in the nail beds with the small 5.3 Eclipse coil.
May 26, 2016 07:39PM
Hombre Wrote:
> Darren...
>
> I can only comment on what I am experienced with,
> so that leaves out the MXT and M6. The Tesoro
> ED-120 machines like the Bandido and Toltec ll &
> Pantera are hard to beat in the small ferrous
> trash. The MX5 set up in one tone with iron
> notched out comes very close to that benchmark
> performance, even more so than the IDX Pro with
> the 6½" 5.3 small coil. I just scored the 5½"
> HotHead Ferret coil made by Discovery electronics
> for my IDX Pro and it is proving to be a better
> and deeper coil than the White's 6½" 5.3 coil.
> The Ferret coil is a very rare coil for the 6.59
> kHz White's machines, I was blessed to find one.

Randy,

Thanks for the additional comments. I have never hunted with an MX5, but from what I have read, the MX5 and the MXT are pretty much identical in performance, just a few features that re different, like notching and lack of ground balance lock. So I'll just go ahead and assume your observations about the MX5 vs the IDX Pro apply equally to the MXT vs IDX Pro. I have a fair number of hours on the IDX Pro before I got my MXT, and I seem to remember that the IDX wasn't quite as good as the MXT, particularly in the audio department. So what you're saying agrees with what my memory is telling me too. Specifically, it is the "analog" audio qualities of the MXT that I feel are superior to the IDX (which is no slouch). That's ironic, since the IDX is actually a true analog machine.

Good to hear from you. I'm jealous of you being retired ... in about 10 years, I'll be joining you and then finally will be able to put in some serious detecting time.

Darren
May 26, 2016 08:59PM
wayfarer Wrote:
> Hombre Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Darren...
> >
> > I can only comment on what I am experienced
> with,
> > so that leaves out the MXT and M6. The Tesoro
> > ED-120 machines like the Bandido and Toltec ll
> &
> > Pantera are hard to beat in the small ferrous
> > trash. The MX5 set up in one tone with iron
> > notched out comes very close to that benchmark
> > performance, even more so than the IDX Pro with
> > the 6½" 5.3 small coil. I just scored the 5½"
> > HotHead Ferret coil made by Discovery
> electronics
> > for my IDX Pro and it is proving to be a better
> > and deeper coil than the White's 6½" 5.3 coil.
> > The Ferret coil is a very rare coil for the
> 6.59
> > kHz White's machines, I was blessed to find
> one.
>
> Randy,
>
> Thanks for the additional comments. I have never
> hunted with an MX5, but from what I have read, the
> MX5 and the MXT are pretty much identical in
> performance, just a few features that re
> different, like notching and lack of ground
> balance lock. So I'll just go ahead and assume
> your observations about the MX5 vs the IDX Pro
> apply equally to the MXT vs IDX Pro. I have a
> fair number of hours on the IDX Pro before I got
> my MXT, and I seem to remember that the IDX wasn't
> quite as good as the MXT, particularly in the
> audio department. So what you're saying agrees
> with what my memory is telling me too.
> Specifically, it is the "analog" audio qualities
> of the MXT that I feel are superior to the IDX
> (which is no slouch). That's ironic, since the
> IDX is actually a true analog machine.
>
> Good to hear from you. I'm jealous of you being
> retired ... in about 10 years, I'll be joining you
> and then finally will be able to put in some
> serious detecting time.
>
> Darren
I'm not talking about audio quality entirely,,,, just recovery speed from bad to good target, ED- 120 Tesoros are among the best even by today's standard.
I think that when the MX5 is set up in 1 tone in the motion disc. mode, it frees up some processing and makes it about as quick as the ED-120 Tesoros.