Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Good.......now the bad!!!

Posted by D&P-OR 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Good.......now the bad!!!
May 22, 2016 07:34PM
We're always talking about good detectors & good performance.-----I thought this might be interesting--while saying as much or little as you wish-----list the detectors you've had that you considered bad (bad performance) detectors (list the coils you had on them to if you wish).------We all know there is SO many variables in this game----but----let's hear your opinions on these detectors.------Balls--you don't even have to give your thoughts/opinion on the detectors you mention if you don't want to-----just the detector(s) will suffice.------------Del
Re: Good.......now the bad!!!
May 22, 2016 08:38PM
Tesoro DEELayon

Yuck!!

Every other detector I have used had a least some good points (even the DFX), but that's the only one I can think of that was totally useless.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2016 08:38PM by Jackpine.
May 22, 2016 08:56PM
Fisher F75

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
May 22, 2016 09:15PM
I Don't know if I would say it was bad, But not for Me as I'm a Coin hunter. And that would be the F-75. I could never bond with it as too chatty and EMI prone and last but not least No Modulated Audio. To top it all off I traded my 1021 CZ -3D in on it that I bought new. Ouch!
May 22, 2016 09:52PM
X 3 on F75.
Loved the ergonomic design but could not deal with the EMI and constant audio activity.
May 22, 2016 10:04PM
first batch 07-14 'didn't go through recall' Fisher F19.

They're still out there, and they suck.
May 22, 2016 10:24PM
F75 purchased shortly after they came out in 2007....what a pain, the chatter was awful
and it just didn't produce as I was expecting/hoping....

later, when I bought an etrac as soon as they came out, found plenty of keepers the F75
missed at the same locations....like magic....
May 22, 2016 10:26PM
Good topic Del. Not that it is a bad detector but the Garrett Ace 250's bell-tone sounds could drive a person insane. Why oh why Garrett ever came up with that is beyond me.
May 22, 2016 10:41PM
Whites Vision was the biggest letdown for me for the price range.
May 22, 2016 11:01PM
HeHe. Ditto on the Bell-tone, awful 'innovation', what were they thinking. And as it's (presumably) just software, they could easily have produced an "ACE260" with a more 'serious' feel to it, but no....

How about the XP GMP / GMAXX2 ? Tragic User Manual, complete with paragraphs still in French, Zut Alors. And an optional control box 'forwards mounting bracket' that fits the thing upside down. Nice feature, guys. Good thing the machine actually works OK.

There's some awful pinpointers out there, too. But a serious contender for 'worst possible' pointer is one sold by U.K retailer Maplin Electronics. It can barely detect a typical coin when it's touching the probe tip. One guy on a U.K forum took it to bits, and discovered the (very small) sensing coil was about 8mm ( 5/16th inch) back from the tip of the case, sheesh.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2016 11:19PM by Pimento.
May 22, 2016 11:17PM
Didn't Charles Garrett call that bell tone the "Sound of Money".?
May 22, 2016 11:22PM
Funny, here in the U.K, the 'best' targets are likely to be lower conductors, and high-tones are usually iron rings, aluminium cans or worthless modern 1 pence / 2 pence coins. "Bell-tone = disappointment"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2016 11:24PM by Pimento.
May 22, 2016 11:46PM
Jackpine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tesoro DEELayon
>
> Yuck!!
>
> Every other detector I have used had a least some
> good points (even the DFX), but that's the only
> one I can think of that was totally useless.

I got a couple of them D's, just need the right setup to get rid of the overload signals on surface nickels. Although I never minded the unique nickel signals with the Day Leon, sometimes it is better than a nickel as gold rings make the same signal. The Troy S7 coil performs a vast change of character on the machine, fewer overloads showing on the screen and >>>up... clean signals on deep coins and other interesting targets. I have better TID machines but the D does alright with the small concentric coil.
May 23, 2016 12:01AM
3 F 75's over the last 10 years have found me more silver then in my previous 35 hears of hunting. Wonderful detector! HH jim tn
May 23, 2016 12:48AM
Sorry Del, my F 75 and I have been in the sun to long. HH jim tn
May 23, 2016 01:09AM
F44
May 23, 2016 01:42AM
Whites xlt,xtra lettuce and tomato.. The bottom of the line Bounty Hunter was deeper and as everyone said back then,it takes a couple of years to get it down..B.S
All that programming for less than mediocre performance.. After a year I sold it to another fellow to learn.

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2016 04:18AM by supertraq.
May 23, 2016 01:49AM
I'm sorry. The Relic just didn't make it for me. It's the only detector I lost confidence in.

Rick
May 23, 2016 01:52AM
Going to have to say original F75 with boost...

Too EMI sensitive--- became a quick closet queen for me,,,DST upgrade changed this though.
May 23, 2016 02:20AM
Whites Prizm V. Factory loaded tracking. What a horrible idea. Whites XLT. Had to whip it to make it work. Talk about a work out. Also the menu system from hell. And the original Garrett probe. What a falsing piece of crap. Had three of them and finally cut my losses.
May 23, 2016 02:26AM
Well----for me (and I know there were some that "clicked" with detector)----but for me it would be the Coinstrike.-----That thing I had was nutto/bannanas!-----Not only in the TERRIBLE performance but the thing literally fell apart (physically).-----I had a Fisher "schill" tell me that it was the only Fisher machine that ever frustrated him---to this day, I agree with him!grinning smiley-----That was long before the F-75 came out BTW.winking smiley-----------Del
wjs
May 23, 2016 02:54AM
F70, hated it, wanted to wrap it around a tree.
May 23, 2016 03:46AM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> Didn't Charles Garrett call that bell tone the
> "Sound of Money".?

He did Harold---I had another name for it!angry smiley------I ran a 1350 for awhile (when I got the second one that wasn't broken).-----I still kind of (sadly) chuckle to myself over this little story.winking smiley----My wife & I were doing some hunts & she was running an Explorer & I was using the 1350.-----We would compare finds after the hunt----she would look at my dismal finds compared to hers & it was like----WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM???confused smiley-------It didn't take me long to get rid of that thing & get back to using my beloved Explorers.-------Hey---I sure got to listen to some "Purdy" bells ringin all over the place for awhile tho!
May 23, 2016 03:56AM
For me my worse machines were the Tesoro Cortez and the Tejon, the Tejon was a bleep to ground balance and the Cortez not having ground balance in Disc mode was a joke along with the micro target ID screen.
May 23, 2016 04:10AM
For me it was the Blisstool. I could get it to do well on buried targets but never in the field. Too many nails and nothing deep that a different detector could have gotten me much easier. I was pretty happy when I sold it. I've got a bunch of detectors with love/hate relationships. No perfect machine.
May 23, 2016 09:09AM
D&P-OR Wrote:
> Well----for me (and I know there were some that
> "clicked" with detector)----but for me it would be
> the Coinstrike.-----That thing I had was
> nutto/bannanas!-----Not only in the TERRIBLE
> performance but the thing literally fell apart
> (physically).-----I had a Fisher "schill" tell me
> that it was the only Fisher machine that ever
> frustrated him---to this day, I agree with
> him!grinning smiley-----That was long before the F-75 came out
> BTW.winking smiley-----------Del

Coinstrike was a different beast for sure. A true love/hate machine and the ergos sucked. An early attempt at a fast digital platform. I actually got along well with it. The later ID Edge was a better all around coin and jewelry detector and worked iron like no other detector I had used up until that time. Paid for itself many times over for me as a fresh water wading detector.

Tom

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
May 23, 2016 10:29AM
On the 14th September 1982 I sent £82.00 to a UK dealer for a 'Savo Coinmaster 4DB' and paid Customs Duties of £15.35
bringing the grand total to about 97 'quid'

Savo went onto become the "White's" brand we know today.

Anyway, this was the worst detector I was ever involved with: it couldn't detect a coin on the surface!!!

I Sold it to a sports store ( local now defunct) for £175

The only thing I lost was my pride!!!
May 23, 2016 12:04PM
I did not have the issues with F75 many claim, so I can't relate to the complaints there. I was not happy with the digital CZs or the ID Edge as they seemed to lag when you pushed the buttons and I sent in my first Edge thinking it was defective because of that. Love the analogue CZs. I was not clicking with an early Blisstool. Mainly I love/hate the Excal because of the lousey shaft, headphones and battery charger that Minelab refuses to move into the 21st century! NO INDICATOR OF CHARGE for charger or machine!!! WTH!!!! Prices are too high too. I do love to run it at the beach, but I shouldn't have to mod the shaft, charger and headphones on a unit that is that long in production and sells as well as it does, but then I guess that is the reason they feel justified giving us the bird!

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
May 23, 2016 12:13PM
The Teknetics Omega 8500. I really didn't like using that detector at all. It didn't take me long to figure out that the 8500 is going to be a big flop. I like the Omega 8000 version 5 a whole lot better.

tabman
May 23, 2016 12:34PM
The one that comes to mind for me is the Minelab Quattro. At that time, the Explorer and Explorer II were too expensive for me and thus the Quattro was mighty appealing to me. It was too slow recovery and was a constant null over my ground. I had that thing approx 4 or 5 months and don't think I made the first keeper find with it. I remember being very disappointed in my first taste of FBS technology and it took me a little while before I took another look at FBS machines.

Then there was the Fisher ID Excel...the one they made that had the flame decals on the control box. It was my first machine to ever preorder and mine came in with a bug that had distorted numbers on the face plate. It was unreadable. I think they ended up sending me 3 units before I got one that wasn't messed up and even then I was severely disappointed in its performance.

I sold a Bandido II uMax to "upgrade" to a Eldorado uMax and that was also a stupid move on my part. Now days the Bandido II still remains one of the best Tesoro machines out there and commands as much used, as it did new.

I didn't like the DeepTech Vista Smart either, nor the original Racer.