Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Dimick Rifle or Revolver bullet

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Dimick Rifle or Revolver bullet
May 24, 2016 02:22AM
Horace Dimick sold alot of his rifles to the 66th Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment. They were also called the "Western Sharpshooters" if my internet research is accurate. This bullet was produced in several calibers. Mine is for a 44 cal gun. I also read that there were Dimick Revolvers. This bullet is very close to the profile of todays bullets!!! I found this bullet in Corinth Mississippi where these bullets have been found before on many occasions. Now, I am strictly an amateur at research and identification. It will not hurt my feelings if I am corrected in any way. I would rather know the truth and have a wounded ego than to walk around in blind ignorance. Anyway, here's a picture of a bullet I found recently on a hunt in the city, in a yard. Found with my XP Deus w/ 11 inch coil. 12 khz. Also found a Union local staff officers cuff button but it is badly eaten up.....not pic-worthy. Anyway, good nite everybody and happy detecting!!!!

Bullet dimensions: Diameter: .413 in. Length:.90 in. Weight: 199 grains
Again, I welcome any and all corrections to my data.
Re: Dimick Rifle or Revolver bullet
May 24, 2016 01:21PM
Very interesting find--thanks for sharing. Known as a Swiss Chasseur bullet,usually around 40 cal--each rifle was issued with it's own bullet mold to ensure the best accuracy.
May 24, 2016 01:38PM
Here's what the bullet book shows Kevin

May 24, 2016 02:53PM
Design of bullet,,more modern looking-- higher ballistic coefficient,,less prone to wind effects,,retains speed better.

An interesting find Kevin.

Congrats
May 24, 2016 04:30PM
Very Very Nice Find Kevin..

It's a Dimmick..

Down this way those are usually found with Repeating arms bullets..like Henrys..if you find a Dimmick usually there's some Henry hulls around ..so transitions were taking place.....so they were starting to give up on them by the Atlanta Campaign...there was alot of size Dimmicks and fit alot of weapons...

Of the places I know they were found fors sharpshooting they were of larger caliber..Like .57 caliber they were either on a Creek crossing on high overlooks and also about 500/750 yards or so from Confederate artillery....

the smaller ones like yours I personally believe was for Revolver's..

Hard to come by for sure congrats

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
May 24, 2016 05:10PM
Guys, if I wasn't in such a rush, I would type an individual post for each of you, thanking you for your comments. That is how much that I appreciate the comments.........and y'all. For real. So have a great day for for goodness sake......get out there and put that coil/loop over something!!! Happy detecting!