Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Faulty sovereign XS2 pro on switch

Posted by Ronaldcraniey 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Faulty sovereign XS2 pro on switch
May 26, 2016 10:17PM
HELP. I have a sovereign XS2 pro . Last time @ the beach I left it switched on the next morning I put in new batteries switched it on it gave one loud beep then went dead tried switching on threshold switched on LOUD BEEP then silence. Please help this 72yr old get back onto his beloved beach. Someone told me it could be voltage outage problem is he right. Any suggestions .Please Help.
Re: Faulty sovereign XS2 pro on switch
May 27, 2016 04:36AM
Before you rush off to the shippers to send it in for a repair, do a couple checks on the batteries/pack.

Make sure your new batteries are oriented properly.in the battery holder. (I assume you've done this a million times, but I don't know)
If you have a volt/ohm meter, check for any bad batteries in the bunch. Even new packages of batteries can contain a bad one.
Make sure you connected the battery pack properly and terminations are tight.

If you need a repair, I've used East Texas Metal Detectors for repairs. You can find their info online at brokendetector.com. There may be others out there as well that can make a repair, perhaps others can volunteer some names.

Good luck

Gonebeepin'

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
May 27, 2016 06:12AM
Thanks for your reply GONEBEEPING I stay in Scotland. I tried your suggestion very carefully to no avail. Looks like I will have to send it off on its own to the happy hunting ground in the sky.. Once again thank you for your suggestions & wish you luck on your next outing.
May 27, 2016 09:23AM
Ron,

Send it to MSR in Surrey - Official Authorised Repair for ML in GB - Tel No. 0208 241 4789

But before you do just check a few things. I note you said, "I put in new batteries". So you're obviously using the 2 black battery packs 4 in each with what's called , 'a PCB connector' or the thin bar with electrodes that snap into the 2 packs. Sometimes the electrodes on the PCB connector can snap or dislodge and the connection will be lost. So check that for any breaks.

Secondly, do you have the black nicad recharge pack that should have come with the detector first day? If yes, do as 'gonebeepin' says and check it with a multimeter.

Thirdly, [ RE-CHECK ] the 'alleged' New batteries as one could be 'rogue' and will bring down the other 7.

Lastly, it ' could be' your Sensitivity 'pot' and if that fails could cause the loud sound you heard?

NB: I have the PCB connectors and a few of the black nicad packs For Sale and I will ship to Scotland.

Des D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2016 09:45AM by Des D.
May 27, 2016 12:07PM
Des D thank you for all your helpful suggestions I really do appreciate your help. I have a spare (broken) xs2 I intended using as spare/parts. Once again thank yOu & I will try out your tips. Ron.
Ps. Des I tried the other connector connecting strip (careful that it connected properly Still the same problem.. Looks like I now have two useless machines maybe I'll sell them as is on eBay along with the bbs800 coil and the other 141/2 inch coil & one sovereign connecting pinpointed probe. Maybe get enough to put to anther secondhand detector.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2016 12:19PM by Ronaldcraniey.