Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Nokta Relic question - battery meter working?

Posted by ncwayne 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Nokta Relic question - battery meter working?
May 27, 2016 12:32PM
Question for the other Relic owners; is your battery meter actually working?

Mine isn't. It seems to have two conditions/readouts: "full" and "low battery."
Yesterday was the second time I have changed batteries, and the second time I was taken by surprise. I checked the battery indicator before starting to detect. It read full. Approximately 2.5 hours later, the batteries crapped out while I was hunting. One minute there was iron buzz everywhere and I stepped over a log and then nothing but quiet. I turned the machine over to look at the screen and it's reading low battery. [THERE NEEDS TO BE A LOW BATTERY INDICATION ON THE SMALL SCREEN ON THE GRIP.]

Anybody else have a faulty battery meter on their Relic?

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
Re: Nokta Relic question - battery meter working?
May 27, 2016 01:01PM
I have changed my batteries twice on it, each time the indicator read about 1/4 full. I just checked my current batteries in it and the meter says 3/4 full. Seems to be working just fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2016 01:04PM by Welgund.
May 27, 2016 03:51PM
Would be nice if maybe an audio alarm would go off--- much like a Garrett ATX.. That would do. Actually all detectors maybe midrange and higher this would be a nice feature.
May 27, 2016 04:25PM
my Racer2 shows full until about 1/2 hour before it go's flat lol
I use rechargeable batteries and top them up after a few hunts no matter what the battery indicater says and carry a spare set if im out for a whole days hunting.
May 27, 2016 06:20PM
Wayne turn the machine off then back on and see what the meter reads then.
May 28, 2016 01:48AM
That would be about right..

I ran mine empty twice this week on the Relic..

16 hours one time and about 13 the other...

if you looked when you first turned it on and it died 2.5 hours later..I would think on your last hunt it was probably already dropping off..

MIne can go from full to empty in about that time...Alkaline's..

its best to go ahead and change at half bars showing..you only have about 45 minutes left there usually..

I watch mine a good bit after I know I've ran it for 12 or so hours..

Im sure it showed a drop but if you did not watch it it wasn't noticed..once it starts to drop there toast in a couple or so hours of continuous heavy machine gun signals especially. Deep really takes the juice..I killed mine Yesterday from full showing after 12 hours of use to flat in 1 hour using Deep..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
May 28, 2016 04:51AM
None of my other detectors, including my Racer, show full up until a couple hours of shutting down with low batteries. The purpose of a battery meter is to "track" the battery depletion over time. If half the battery's juice (charge) is depleted (regardless of hours or operating mode and targets registered), the meter ought to show half the battery life remaining. It does no good for the meter to register full, as mine does, up until an hour or two of the unit shutting down. If the meter reads full when I start a detecting session, it should mean that the batteries are still sufficiently charged to last the full day. It is common on my other detectors for the battery meter to register full for several days of 2 to 6 hours hunts. Sometimes even 2 or 3 days of 8 to 10 hour hunts. And it is only when the meter starts to drop, ie, 2 of 3 or 3 of 4 segments lit, and then 1 of 3 or 1 of 4 segments lit, that I understand that a change to new batteries is in order.
This, basically, is the difference in a battery meter working (as it should), or not working.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

May 28, 2016 06:55AM
My Racer 2 battery indicator is not very reliable. It will go done 1 notch after a few hours hunt and stay there until the "Lo" suddenly appears without warning and your hunt ends. Other detectors you can tell when battery power is low by the softer weaker sounds it produce and less depth/sensitivity. It's the only detector I have actually run out of juice while hunting... twice. Not too big a problem since I now mentally tally the hours since the last hunt. When it reaches about 8 hours I charge the batteries.
May 28, 2016 10:03AM
ncwayne Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Question for the other Relic owners; is your
> battery meter actually working?
>
> Mine isn't. It seems to have two
> conditions/readouts: "full" and "low battery."
> Yesterday was the second time I have changed
> batteries, and the second time I was taken by
> surprise. I checked the battery indicator before
> starting to detect. It read full. Approximately
> 2.5 hours later, the batteries crapped out while I
> was hunting. One minute there was iron buzz
> everywhere and I stepped over a log and then
> nothing but quiet. I turned the machine over to
> look at the screen and it's reading low battery.
>
> Anybody else have a faulty battery meter on their
> Relic?
>
> Wayne

"Did you avail of ' a cheap multi-pack buy ' of cheap Carbon type batteries?
That's what it sounds like to me?

Keith, is it really [ a high-drain ] circuit?

On my "Racer 2", I had a battery spring twisting thereby loosing connection and the 'LO' warning came on multiple times before I discovered the cause!"
May 28, 2016 12:13PM
Des D Wrote:

> "Did you avail of ' a cheap multi-pack buy ' of
> cheap Carbon type batteries?
> That's what it sounds like to me?

Nope, Des D. RayOVac alkalines. Same as I run in all my detectors. If I were using substandard batteries, I probably would not have even posted about the battery meter not working.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC