Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

time period of this button...

Posted by ncwayne 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
time period of this button...
May 27, 2016 10:19PM
Walked around in the woods about 5 hours yesterday with the Nokta Relic. There is an old mill site in this area that dates back to mid 1700s.
Had barely left the vehicle when I found an interesting small button. Not much farther and I dug a small decorative "washer," rounded surface on one side, flat on the other. Lovely light green patina and traces of gold plating.
Then I worked in the direction of the old mill and spent a good amount of time there. Not much to show for the work around the mill site. A square nail and piece of another, and from the side of the old flume that directed the water to the wheel, an iron belt buckle.
Oh, there were other iron and trash items dug, 3 fishing weights, a clad quarter, and a 3 piece 21-cent pocket spill, but the button, "washer," and iron buckle were the most interesting and rewarding. Not a lot to show for 5 hours and a shirt drenched with sweat, and countless spider webs across the face, but the scenery was different and the possibilities were exciting. There was British activity in this area leading up to the battle at Guilford Courthouse where the outcome of the war turned finally toward a US victory.

After visiting the vehicle to change batteries and drink some water, I was going back into the woods and had just crossed over some tree stumps that had been dumped into a slight ravine, and I heard something and looked in time to watch a tiny fawn, looking to be not more than 15 inches tall at the top of its head, and covered in spots, running from its spot up against or just under the stump pile and headed deeper into the woods. It had to have been only a few days old.

Thanks for looking. If anybody has any feedback on the button or "washer," thanks for your comments. I think the button is pewter.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
Re: time period of this button...
May 28, 2016 01:38AM
I would say 1810-1820..

Nice design..

Nice digs..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
May 28, 2016 02:40AM
Some nice finds.

Thanks for sharing.
May 29, 2016 12:40PM
Congrats on the day out and the finds.