Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Defectors Involved in Looting Civil War Battlefield

Posted by Mike 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Defectors Involved in Looting Civil War Battlefield
May 28, 2016 12:46PM
Re: Defectors Involved in Looting Civil War Battlefield
May 28, 2016 04:12PM
Disgraceful!
May 29, 2016 03:27AM
It wasn't me.
May 29, 2016 03:40AM
The last time an article like that was done, it ended up being skunks and squirrels that were digging the holes. Relic hunters got the blame for it though; any time they think they can take a shot at relic hunters, they do it.
May 29, 2016 04:07AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The last time an article like that was done, it
> ended up being skunks and squirrels that were
> digging the holes. Relic hunters got the blame
> for it though; any time they think they can take a
> shot at relic hunters, they do it.

Yep (coons too)

springtime they dig up grubs and larva

probably what happened this time too
May 29, 2016 08:11AM
'a bit strange? No evidence of "holes" or "damage", and a park ranger using a Fisher'??
May 29, 2016 10:50AM
Since the area was grass covered, how does one "dig holes"? I can understand digging holes in open dirt but not in a lawn. The only way to recover relics in thick grass would be to cut a plug. Assuming the thieves wanted to escape notice wouldn't they just put the sod plug back, leaving little to no trace?

Rodents don't dig plugs, but the article seems to reference only holes several inches deep? But then I'd have to believe the park service is so dim-witted they don't know rodent diggings from cut plugs.
May 29, 2016 02:56PM
I believe it's all an agenda pushing thing. What better time than Memorial Day weekend to release a story about "looting" a battlefield and pinning the blame on people they don't like, for destroying pieces to a sacred piece of ground? It's a sensitive time when people are thinking of battlefields and the fallen soldiers. A perfect window of opportunity to throw in a jab and to try to get the wheel rolling to outlaw metal detecting.

Yet they will destroy a battle site, historic houses, camp sites, etc to put up a shopping mall or subdivision and never bat an eye. Go find the articles from the Atlanta, GA area about the native American sites the archies were working with, and how much they fought among one another on those...villages and mounds were purposely destroyed by them. Every month, they are removing statues from the Civil War and removing all facets of history. There is a new thread on My Treasure Spot about a relic hunter that asked permission to bring in some of his relics to share with the history classes at his local high school. He was told they don't even cover the Civil War time frame anymore. This is no surprise to me; I graduated 16 years ago, and even then, we only spent a couple days on the War in high school history.
May 29, 2016 03:15PM
Saw this same thing happen at Yorktown Battlefield. Three gentleman were hunting at night and were quite successful by the display of their artifacts as posted by the local news channel. They also showed a picture of their 3 Nautilus detectors. All three received Federal convictions to include jail time, the reposition of their vehicles and of course their equipment......stupid. I have been told Fredericksburg has posted metal detector detectors so Rangers can locate you at night.
May 29, 2016 03:34PM
I'll call it what it is, GREED, very prevalent in the relic hunting world. A lot of great ethical people hunt relics but the bad apples will have yourself with a fishing pole in your hands.
May 29, 2016 07:36PM
Wow, this does not do our hobby any good. I love history. I love reading about it and then receiving written permission to detect in that area. One of these days, getting caught with a freaking Minie Ball will have legal repercussions. BUT...
I was (I was amazed) given permission by a member of the board of directors of our local Museum, which is primarily focused on the Civil War in the area. This man, and his wife were in the process of rebuilding their historic house and had scaped the yard with a Bobcat with a blade/bucket type thing. The wife found half of a horse shoe. She just thought that thing was the neatest piece of history she had ever seen! I was in the right place at the right time. I asked for permission to detect and the couple said "oh yes, by all means, as we are going to sod the yard with Zoiya (sp?) grass. The house was sitting where an even OLDER house had been sitting, as evidenced by the old square nails and shards of brick that I found......along with about 50 relics that were Civil War period. Mostly bullets and a couple of buttons that showed that the place was likely a Union Calvary campsite. The wife had been so excited about the horse-shoe half that she found that I opted (and I was given the option to keep the relics) to give them the relics after I washed them and photographed them. I cannot recall the type of bullets that I was finding but they were all solid based (a few Sharps, and Hollow based Sharps, and Sharps variants were among them). I got to go there every day and it rained about every third day. Even found an Indian Head. They built a "drop box" to put all of the relics in and built it into a wall of their house, which was being restored to its original contruction.
The point of this: This man used to be VERY anti-metal detecting. After experiencing a detectorist in action, he realized that we weren't all in it for the profit like many of the TV shows suggest and that we truly have a respect and love for history, particularly Military history. He's a friend of mine to this day and even suggest possible places that might be good. Anyway, just sharing. Happy Memorial Day and a hearty THANKS to all who serve our country in the Military. Kevin
May 30, 2016 02:12PM
When you hear a guvmint person say"the American People" ,watch out, something is about to be taken away from you.In this case detecting privileges totally unrelated to any "looting".
May 31, 2016 05:41PM
I wouldn't of detected this area simply because it's illegal.

With the exception of graves or burial grounds, I'll never understand what good it does to leave relics to rot in the ground unseen by anyone.

HH
John
June 01, 2016 02:51PM
DirtyJohn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wouldn't of detected this area simply because
> it's illegal.
>
> With the exception of graves or burial grounds,
> I'll never understand what good it does to leave
> relics to rot in the ground unseen by anyone.
>
> HH
> John

It's for the children.
June 04, 2016 06:53AM
Defectors? Where did they defect from?
June 04, 2016 07:51PM
Are Hobby has been in trouble for awhile now. Some just don't realise it yet because it hasn't effected them. But as said before enjoy it while you can because it's coming to a town near You!