Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What's minelab working on?

Posted by Sand dog 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
What's minelab working on?
June 22, 2016 11:22AM
I looked up minelab patents and see a new one dated 2016. I read through it briefly but I'm sure someone on this forum would understand it a lot better than me. From what I gather it's a new type of discrimination and it says PI detector also. Hmmmm very interesting.

John
Re: What's minelab working on?
June 22, 2016 01:20PM
This patent got roundly blasted on the Geotech forum by folks who understand these things - these folks pointed out that the stuff in it is well known prior art. This is not to say that ML doesn't want to use this stuff in a future product, just,that their claims to originality are unfounded. Dave Johnson's criticism was especially clear.

[www.geotech1.com]

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2016 01:54PM by lytle78.
June 22, 2016 01:28PM
Minelab,,,,all they really need to do is make a nice light weight,yet durable detector,,with good balance and a good pole and hand hold.
I'm sure some of the other manufacturers wished they had Minelab's problems...

A 3 pound CTX performing detector would sell like hotcakes.

How many Deus units have been sold,,primarily due to its light weight???

If we only knew!!
June 22, 2016 05:02PM
Think of the sales if they would update the Excal with a straight shaft, headphone/coil connectors and modern battery/chargers!!!!

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
June 22, 2016 06:17PM
Id prefer a few thing in the pod be up dated. I dont know that for our purpose..... neck deep id pay CTX price.
June 22, 2016 07:21PM
I'd take an ETrac or CTX in say a 2.5-3 lb range any day of the week. However I would think their number 1 priority right now is to get rid of all those go finds lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2016 07:22PM by Jack Flynn.
June 22, 2016 07:31PM
I would like to see them make 2 machines:

1. An Excal that has:

- upgraded internal components
- straight shaft with weight on back above/behind elbow
- Lighter - up to 10ft waterproof
- Coil/Headphone change connector
- Is not more expensive than current one
- Significant powersource
- PP/Disc button on handle

2. A PI machine that has:

- light - 10ft waterproof
- Pulse delay setting - 0-30us
- Ground balance, threshold, volume, etc.
- Significant powersource
- Ability to swap coil/headphones
- Discriminates iron

Nox600, CTX, CZ21, Excal II and White's DF with 920i stealthscoop...I live and hunt at the beach in Wilm NCsmiling smiley
June 22, 2016 11:45PM
Ever since the release of the AT Pro salt water hunters have been licking their chops for a multi frequency version. Minelab discontinued the Sovereign and 8" Excal and came out with the CTX. A fine detector except for the cost and weight. So the door is still wide open for that one detector to fill a gaping hole. It looks like Nokta/Makro is going to release the Impact with only one frequency available at a time. Garrett seems to not be interested. Minelab? A BBS unit in a 705 head! How hard could it be? I would mention First Texas, but again they just seem to be satisfied with the CZ21. A boat anchor around your hip!
June 23, 2016 12:49AM
Hopefully a Sovereign in an Xterra box...

No reason why they cant revamp the Sov..

What a beast of a machine ..Sucker would flat out kill Silver all day everyday..

Best Buckle/Plate Digger I ever owned...

Go into a house site full of iron an cherry pick foot deep plates and never dig a piece of iron..PARADISE !!

Watched my buddy back in about 91 dig a C.S.A. buckle out of a house site we were hunting in the woods....I had a Tesoro and another guy had a CZ6 just released and my buddy had the Sovereign Original non XS just released....

He got a hit that sounded like a little kitten wee wee wee...he let us hear...we were laughing and said that things sounds like its a kitty cat..LOL..

I went across nothing....CZ went across it nothing...

my buddy started digging in that red clay next to the chimney...it was july and it was hot and ground was dry...he dug then we swapped out...the whole time saying man that's a piece of stove iron after the Cz could hit it he said there's hits in here everywhere like that....My buddy said I don't hear deep iron this ain't a fisher...thought yeah right??!!!We knew deep hits was deep big iron from running those 1265's and the Cz was doing the same digging deep iron everywhere.....

Well finally after about 15 minutes or so the soil took on that greenish hue and my buddy said yeah iron.... Ha Ha ha ...Look out...he then chopped out a C.S.A Belt buckle and to beat it all there was a artillery fuse wedged into the buckle from the top right down into the top of the S........The Cz user bit his Cigarette in half ...LOL!!!

Pure struck piece.. Priceless really....Poor guy who wore that buckle probably had one heck of a Gut ache..

and I had a Sovereign before the week was out.!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2016 05:22PM by Keith Southern.
June 23, 2016 12:57AM
I had a Sovereign XS2A years ago, and in California dirt it was a miserable land hunter, never could get any depth with it, but on the salt water beach, in AM mode, it was killer. Dug an old silver wedding band that was a foot deep, I kid you not! Got pretty good at discerning ferrous vs non-ferrous in AM mode too.
June 23, 2016 01:07AM
Yeah BBS and FBS is not for all soils...

But il say this in my Red Clay the FBS and BBS is a puncher..

And yes one of the best smoothest all metal units to date the Sovereign is..no up or down wavering ..just rock steady across the ground...

I would like to see a sovereign with expanded lower end range accept...let me hear the iron instead of null it...Should add more depth and maybe even with these now available small coils could unlock with just the WIGGLEwinking smiley

I don't want them to mess it up if they redo it..keep it like the old schooler just allow for more bottom end and lighten it up...best I.D I've ever seen on Deepies..

they had a Beautiful thing in the Sovereign...

Truly was the ultimate audio blender..the amount of silver I pulled out of trashy spot's in the early 90s was amazing..And the minnie balls at depth in the woods was eye popping smiley

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2016 01:13AM by Keith Southern.
June 23, 2016 06:03AM
What would the difference be between a Sovereign and Excalibur II? I have never had a Sovereign but did have an Excalibur II with 10" coil several summers ago. Both of them used BBS technology but I don't know if one was better suited for land vs the other. The Excalibur II sucked in this red dirt here. A man would have a better chance at finding something good by digging random holes.
June 23, 2016 09:20AM
IF they considered a waterproof Sov they need to speed up the recovery. Great machine great depth, but like the Xcal the recovery needs improving. Goodmore you forgot they also did away with the Explorer...... another very sweet machine on the beach. Thou the Sov and Xcal are basicly the same machine......the salt setting changes it to me.
June 23, 2016 02:40PM
A CTX that goes to a PI at the flip of a switch, a DD 4"coil in a DD 11"coil setup that changes with a flip of a switch, as waterproof as an Excal, and weighs less than 3#.

OK, <13# if you want it this century.
June 25, 2016 04:09PM
I would love to see this happen as well. BBS technology in an xterra box. How hard can this really be? I am no electronics technician but if they can make digital electronics so tiny to place in your ear (hearing aids) this BBS electronics project shouldn't be an issue.. I absolutely love the Sov GT. You are right Keith that machined sucked more silver out of hunted out places (and at phenomenal depths) I was truly amazed at its capabilities. It might be a slow recovery machine but boy it surely founds the goods (even in iron trash)

Thanks for the good hard laugh about the sov sounding like a kitty cat.

Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hopefully a Sovereign in an Xterra box...
>
> No reason why they cant revamp the Sov..
>
> What a beast of a machine ..Sucker would flat out
> kill Silver all day everyday..
>
> Best Buckle/Plate Digger I ever owned...
>
> Go into a house site full of iron an cherry pick
> foot deep plates and never dig a piece of
> iron..PARADISE !!
>
> Watched my buddy back in about 91 dig a C.S.A.
> buckle out of a house site we were hunting in the
> woods....I had a Tesoro and another guy had a CZ6
> just released and my buddy had the Sovereign
> Original non XS just released....
>
> He got a hit that sounded like a little kitten wee
> wee wee...he let us hear...we were laughing and
> said that things sounds like its a kitty
> cat..LOL..

>
> I went across nothing....CZ went across it
> nothing...
>
> my buddy started digging in that red clay next to
> the chimney...it was july and it was hot and
> ground was dry...he dug then we swapped out...the
> whole time saying man that's a piece of stove iron
> after the Cz could hit it he said there's hits in
> here everywhere like that....My buddy said I don't
> hear deep iron this ain't a fisher...thought yeah
> right??!!!We knew deep hits was deep big iron from
> running those 1265's and the Cz was doing the
> same digging deep iron everywhere.....
>
> Well finally after about 15 minutes or so the soil
> took on that greenish hue and my buddy said yeah
> iron.... Ha Ha ha ...Look out...he then chopped
> out a C.S.A Belt buckle and to beat it all there
> was a artillery fuse wedged into the buckle from
> the top right down into the top of the
> S........The Cz user bit his Cigarette in half
> ...LOL!!!
>
> Pure struck piece..tongue sticking out smileyriceless really....Poor guy
> who wore that buckle probably had one heck of a
> Gut ache..
>
> and I had a Sovereign before the week was out.!
>
> Keith
June 25, 2016 04:25PM
I would add an option to manual ground balance. The auto sensitivity is not very good so I dont see why we accept that their auto ground balance is any better. Let me do it so that I can run the machine hot.

Nox600, CTX, CZ21, Excal II and White's DF with 920i stealthscoop...I live and hunt at the beach in Wilm NCsmiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2016 04:29PM by adamBomb.
June 25, 2016 05:27PM
Same unit basically as the sovereign...

And yes what someone sees one place they don't see somewhere else..

You didn't have the sens turned down Did you Daniel?? There backwards on the Sovereign Full CCW is full sens Full CW is minimum..LOL..Crazy Aussies guess its from being upside down....

Stay out of Auto sens too..that Stink's

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
June 25, 2016 07:51PM
Developing a hybrid VLF system in a new composite mix of carbon fibre and plastic extremely light and tough with wireless phones expected release May 2017
June 25, 2016 08:14PM
Des D Wrote:
> Developing a hybrid VLF system in a new composite
> mix of carbon fibre and plastic extremely light
> and tough with wireless phones expected release
> May 2017

I haven't been detecting in quite a while,... but this should really get the juices going and the money flowing :-)

HH
Johnb
June 25, 2016 08:30PM
Hybrid. .... define Des. We talking water or land? Id be surprised they would do any detector now in BBS. I think its clear with the Sov gone any upgrade would be with the FBS tech.
June 26, 2016 03:31AM
I wish they would put updated sov in an xterra like box! Wow that would be awsome!

Des do you know if that new super D coil that the gpz uses will be available for or benefit other minelab machines? I wonder If this hybrid detector will use one? Maybe minelab will shock us and build a gpz 7000 type machine with disc waterproof to 10 feet. For a reasonable msrp lol.

John
June 26, 2016 10:10AM
Wireless headphones tells me its got a better chance of being a dirt machine. With all they can do now days youd think they could just make an app for a waterproof Iphone lol.
June 27, 2016 07:58PM
Minelab first needs to just make a light E-Trac/CTX machine and hopefully they can increase the depth to what I found the AKA Signum to do (1"-2" more).
They are just fun machines and hopefully they keep it a bit basic.

Outside of that, a new Sovereign would be nice.

Albert
June 29, 2016 12:43PM
Des D Wrote:
> Developing a hybrid VLF system in a new composite
> mix of carbon fibre and plastic extremely light
> and tough with wireless phones expected release
> May 2017

Can't wait to see what this is all about?

PI/VLF mixed type hybrid!? BBS/FBS/?? hybrid!? lol