Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Last couple weeks diggin'

Posted by Daniel Tn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Last couple weeks diggin'
June 22, 2016 04:20PM
Keith says this is his peak hunting season. It is the opposite for me. Most of my sites are overgrown and or have crops in the field; and the woods are protected by copperheads. So I have been trying the water hunting thing mostly and not doing so well at it. But as always, we have to keep our eyes and ears open for new development sites and save what we can.

Most of this stuff came from one site that has been vacant since the 2008 economic spiral. This was originally supposed to be a upscale subdivision but all they accomplished on it was clearing it off and making a culvasac into the place. Well since things have started bouncing back...houses are now going up in this place and dirt is being moved around. I decided I would try it over there for a little while; we have found a crap ton of Civil War relics there since 2006 or so when they first started clearing timber. It is nice to get a few saves out of there before it is totally gone. Flat buttons, a few knapsack pieces, etc. I hunted with both the GPX and MX Sport there; mostly just to see if the Sport could pull anything out of there in some of the spots with a lot of iron. The round stuff came with it...the underwear buttons, flat buttons, etc. The greener stuff like the knapsack hooks...those came from the GPX. The Sport doesn't seem to give as good of a signal on those odd shaped brass things as it does on round objects. The gun wrench came with the Sport as well and is in bad shape. I think there's not enough good steel left in it to try and do electrolisis on it.

The only piece to not come from there, was the big item to the left. This is a find that excites me a little. There are 3 of us that hunt together locally and over the last few years, we have been hunting this one site behind a church in town. One of the guys found a US plate there, and we have found a lot of eagle buttons and minie balls there. Well, one of them found the large part to an epaulette and a couple of the pieces to it. A few weeks later, I find two more of the pieces to it; and then almost a year later, I find another link to it. We have hunted all over this field trying to find the rest of it and haven't been successful. Then I go there with the Sport to just play around with it. Well I made one find and guess what it was. My buddy that found the biggest piece to it, has all the other pieces in his showcase at his shop. I can't wait to get over there and see if it all fits together now. I think the only piece we are missing now is the bottom piece that holds it all together; unless the piece I found is from another epaulette. If it turns out to be a match, I will post a pic of it all together again. This thing has been scattered out over a good piece of this field. No telling how it got so divided up.

Supposed to go tomorrow for a quicky hunt. One of the guys got a new TDI and wants to try it out for a while. Otherwise, big Dan is headed to the lake to see if the fish are biting, and if they aren't, it really don't matter as the hot chickas are out in full force in those nice 2 piece bikinis smiling smiley . It's just too blasted hot to be digging in ground that is like concrete.

Re: Last couple weeks diggin'
June 22, 2016 05:35PM
Excellent Daniel thumbs down
June 22, 2016 07:01PM
Some nice relics there Daniel, glad the White's is working good for you !

I've had good luck with White's machines for 22 years......
June 23, 2016 12:35AM
Nice digs..

Has anyone dug the crescent piece off the top yet?

Dug one whole epaulette in my life years ago in a camp...2 foot deep...sounded like a minnie ball...luckily it was in sandy dirt..Or I would of destroyed it being so deep and fragile...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2016 12:35AM by Keith Southern.
June 23, 2016 01:33AM
Keith I gotta' ask what detector were you using to go that deep, Nauty,Whites 5900, Fisher 1266,Troy X-5, Explorer or ??????????
June 23, 2016 02:00AM
Believe it or Not it was a bandido 2 umax with 10.5 coil in all metal...on the Island of Hilton Head...sounded small and sweet..LOL

Of course a whole epaulet is huge ..I dug a crater to get it out..LOL

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
June 23, 2016 02:34AM
I love digging in the early fall and late winter the woods to me are alive at that time

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
June 23, 2016 02:50AM
Some good finds Daniel.

Seems you have found your detector combo.

Nice work.
June 23, 2016 02:55AM
awesome !! keep digging
June 23, 2016 04:29AM
Keith -- The crescent part was the first piece they found. I hope it all fits together. Will find out in a couple days. I fear the church parking lot covered most of this camp but it is what it is.
June 23, 2016 10:27AM
Doesn't it make you sick to your stomach when ground you know has coins and relics, is being built on. These projects move along so fast these days before you can get the time to possibly detect them, they are completed. There are several areas I drive bye where old 1700's homes were standing and I think of them every stinking time.... and now housing or some strip mall. Weird feeling ya get when something valuable goes to waste.

Good stuff Daniel.