Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Nokta relic hunt with pic 6-22-2016 and commentary

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Nokta relic hunt with pic 6-22-2016 and commentary
June 22, 2016 10:18PM
Headed out this morning about 9am with my new detecting friend.

Back to the site we both hunted last week with each using Xp Deus.

Now for information purposes,, last week my finds were cherry picked using Deus-- I didn't dig all nonferrous detected.

Today though,,in order to get a better handle on this Nokta Relic detector all detected finds were dug.

I must say,,it was blazing saddles hot,,I couldn't drink water fast enough to keep up,,and at 2pm called it a day.

Anyway,,a few what I consider worthy finds for an older site.

Towards the end,,I even let my friend run the detector,,to get a feel for it,,and he could say he had used and seen a Nokta relic in action.

Turned out to be actually a good idea,,as we would sort of take turns,,one detecting and one digging.

My finds I didn't clean,,I rarely do,,so if the pic is low grade,,I apologize.

I do have something to add later here,,but I must exit this forum,,to take a picture. A pic of some big nails and a nickel,,with some commentary,,and maybe someone with more experience than myself will chime in.

Anyway thanks for looking.
Oh forgot to say,,settings were 3tone, gain at 85, ID mask 3, Imask 3, tone break set to 95, iron vol-3.

Okay,,the pic below,,2 big nails (ruler in the pic to show nails size) and a nickel in between.

First I should ask,,why did Nokta restrict the tone break setting on the low side to 20 in 3 tone vs allowing for more adjustment here using 2 tone??

Back to the pic,,,swing the Nokta Relic's coil left to right across the nails to detect nickel ( on top of the ground),,,3 tone a no go.
Can be detected in 2 tone as long as tone break is set to 15-17 levels.

But with a tone break setting this low using 2 tone,,,if a person swings across the big nails longways (solo),,they sound pretty good,,especially the bigger nail shown in pic.
Some iron buzz is duly noted when doing the above with say iron volume say at level 2 or 3,,but even from my hunt today-- some targets give good tone with iron buzz,,so hard to run like this and have a lot of confidence in distinguishing ferrous from nonferrous.

I do have other detectors that will both detect the nickel as shown,,and will identify tonally both the nails when swept down the barrel (without altering settings,,actually using my hunt settings) I use most of the time.

Now I did use two 12 penny nails and with tone break set to 20 in 2 tone and 3 tone,,nickel is detected when swept.

Not a hit job here,,but did notice this while doing some of my testing I like to do,,,,to better understand what a new detector to me is telling me while in the field.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2016 11:30PM by tnsharpshooter.