Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Indianhead pennies ID number?

Posted by kickback 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Indianhead pennies ID number?
May 21, 2008 07:35AM
What ID numbers do you get on Indianhead pennies with your F 75.Thanks Bill
Re: Indianhead pennies ID number?
May 21, 2008 10:36PM
The IHs I've found have been deep 8"+ and have read inconsistent. It's only been a gut feel that made me dig them instead of regarding them as deep iron.
May 22, 2008 12:16AM
Most 'dug' Indian Head pennies ID around '57' (plus/minus approx 2). In the 4-tone option on the F-75.... this ID would give you the tone that is just below the highest tone (this is the 3rd tone). If you are in 3-tone mode...... Indians read/ID as trash (mid-tone).
.... Funny thing; I have a friend that positively proved to me that all 'dug' Indians,,,, would positively ID as a '59' or higher. (His highest Indian ID'd as a VDI = '61'). He was quite shocked when I passed hundreds of my 'dug' Indian Head pennies under his coil.... and most ID'd as '57',,,,,with a few as low as '53'...... and a few as high as '61'. He then admitted: "Come to think about it...... I never dig anything that ID's as '58' or below." Hmmmmmm. Case closed! He was hurt.... as he knows he passed up a bunch of '57' +/-(2) targets where he was finding a few IH pennies.
The composition of IH pennies are of a conductive material so as to be LESS conductive then today's Zinc pennies...... even IH pennies that have NEVER seen dirt. This is why SO many Indian Head pennies are "left behind". KNOW WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR! UNDERSTAND CONDUCTIVITY!!! You'll have MUCH better success and will be startled more often.

Tom
May 22, 2008 12:18PM
Thank you Tom. I am in a area that is produceing old coins. Pull wo first yeasterday. Two barber dimes, 1902 and 1907. First barbers and oldest coin. I mostly have been useing 3H. I have never dug and Indian yet and now i know why. Looks like i may have to use the 4 tone. Does the 4H tone make the indians a high tone? anyone know?
May 22, 2008 05:15PM
4H tone only brings the 25-30 range into the high tone area in order to boost nickels - it won't help with IH's that are ringing in the 50s.
May 23, 2008 01:12AM
Tone option 4H brings 25-35 into high-tone....... where as tone option 4 allows the 25-35 range to be a mid-tone.
If you invoke 4-tone (and/or 4H tone)..... wave a Zinc penny by the coil..... and wave a dime by the coil. MEMORIZE those two tones... AND DIG THOSE TWO TONES in old areas. Remember; Silver Half-Dimes, Silver Trimes (3-cent silver coin).... some silver Barber dimes..... tilted silver coins, Indian Head pennies, U.S. Half Eagle $5.00 gold coins, many Half-Cents, some Large Cents, early wheat pennies (the list goes on) all ID and audibly report just exactly how a Zinc penny reports when 4-tone mode is selected. This is the 3rd highest tone....of the 4 tones available. If you are in 3-tone mode...... ALL of the coins listed above will audibly report as trash-tone (mid-tone). BE CAREFUL! A regular CZ will report all of the above coins as a mid-tone (trash tone) also...... but the CZ-3D with 'enhanced' mode invoked, will ID all of the above coins as a 'high-tone'. The T-2 & F-75 nearly exactly mimic the CZ-3D in 'enhanced' mode.....for this exact reason...... by no accident. Without this knowledge, you will miss a LOT of serious/good coins.

Tom
Kas
May 23, 2008 11:38AM
I was about to make the same point about the CZ-3D. I've found more IHs,nickles, at my old sites this year than ever before. VDI does not come into the equation, but high tone repeatable signal does. Simplicity! A lot of good coins can be easily missed by the human discriminator.

Ken
May 23, 2008 03:01PM
Going out tomarrow, going to give the 4H one a full run now that ive cut my teeth on the 3H for awile. Will let you know how it gos.
Is it legal to hunt public school yards without permission?
July 10, 2008 06:26PM
I have been into metal detecting for a little over two years and have enjoyed it very much, it is good exercise as well as being profitable for me. I have enjoyed hunting in parks and some private properties with permission but I have twice in the last month been asked to leave property. One of them was from a field that is right next door to a town park. I actually thought that it was a town park field and I have hunted there many times. Well I had someone ask me to leave and he said that the property was private property beloning to the local volunteer firemen. I of course complied with his request.
Yesterday I was at a public school yard and the school is in summer recess and there are only some maintenance people and some construction people there. My buddy and I had been there about fifteen minutes when this crazy (acting) man demanded that we leave or he would call the police, again of course I left at once. But the question remains. As a tax payer and I feel part owner of both the firemen's field and certainly the school yard should be mine to use, and of course to not abuse and never to hunt there when school is in session. Does anyone know the exact rules on this situation. I do not want any trouble from anyone but feel that I am totally in the dark about what my rights are. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Jerry
Re: Is it legal to hunt public school yards without permission?
July 10, 2008 09:57PM
I contend with this problem also. Asking permission gets you much closer to getting a "NO". Especially if you use the word 'hunt'..... as most folks associate this word with guns. ,,,, ..... And legal words like 'permission' and 'property' will "legally bound" the owner. Then multiply the factor again by...... if we use the words like 'looking for old silver coins' .... 'looking for old relics'. This can lock on to negative fate. Sooooooooooo...... do NOT use words like:

hunt
permission
property
silver
gold
relics
dig/digging

Do NOT say the following:
May I have WRITTEN PERMISSION, to HUNT your PROPERTY to DIG for OLD SILVER COINS and RELICS and GOLD.

RATHER..... ""CAN I PLAY IN THE GRASS ... LOOKING TO FIND POP-TOPS AND PENNIES""...... my wife/husband found a way to get me out of the house and get some fresh air and exercise with this new detector thing.

This may sound funny and somewhat deceptive....... but welcome to the new world. Legally binding a individual (property owner) is sure to put him 'on-the-defensive'..... making it SOOOOOOOO easy for him to give you a "NO".

Sure, if you can have a property owner give you something in writing.... this is the ideal dream!

I have been kicked off of property many times........ only to learn that the person doing the 'kicking' does NOT own the property and is ALSO a detectorist (not wanting you to hunt HIS site).....or....... he/she is a archaeologist. I have even had folks tell me to quit what I'm doing because they just simply thought it was wrong (and they may have .... for some reason...... had some jealousy).......and...... once again....... they did not own the property.

It is sad to report this type of information....... but yet, it is the reality of this new world/generation. In the late 1990's...... there were several consecutive years where I tried to get permission for EVERY SINGLE site that I wanted to hunt. Long story short; ...... I nearly quit the hobby. It still hurts my platform-morals to take on the stance of; Adapt - Improvise - Overcome motto...... and/or; "It is easier to ask for forgiveness, , , than it is to ask for permission"; yet, I choose to retain this burning passion hobby.

Bottom line; GETTING PERMISSION IS TOUGH.
July 11, 2008 12:42AM
I am the king of getting permission Tom...i even got permission to hunt State owned land at a water fall where tourists walk...lol!!!

i got permission to hunt a swimming area that the city wont let you hunt there (even though theres no law against it)..

I used to have permission forms, like u said, to formal, i used to drop notes in peoples mail boxes w/ over grown lawns telling them i will cut their lawn and they wont have to pay me, just let me detect your lawn after, and as far as my digging goes, i am so good at it, you can place your face an inch away after the next rain storm and you wont see a thing...got several calls on those...
The way i do the state land thing, well, dont want to post it here in case state workers read it and catch on, email me and i will tell you...it's a bit scammy, but what is that Tom, welcome to the new age? HAHA HH All.
Don't own a F-75 but...
July 11, 2008 01:17AM
Indian pennies depending if they are a real early one or one from the early 1900's can run from square tab right into the zinc penny range due to their mettalic content which changed over the years. Add extremely deep ones and real crusty ones and they can cover a lot of meter numbers. Always remember my XLT buddy showing me one of the first years minted and as I had square tab notched out didn't get a purr on it on the ground. Thats where Tom's CZ3D comes in to cover more of the older coins..So my friend you have a lot of area on that meter to dig if you wish to excell finding them..