Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Nokta relic hunt 6-24-2016

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Nokta relic hunt 6-24-2016
June 25, 2016 02:23AM
Back out with the Nokta relic detector small coil for around 3 hours.

Took the Deus along but not for signal comparison this time,,rather spent about 15 minutes with it in some cleaner ground,,,playing with AM modes,,,if anyone can run these babies,,they are better than me.

Back to the actual hunt.

Folks I see a trend when using this detector.

What is the trend???

Well,so far I'm 2 for 2 to find at least one coin in sites I've never found the first,, using any of my other detectors over the last 5 plus years.

And one other site,,I pulled a coin with the relic detector--- and this site has only give up one for me hunting off and on during the lat five years.

And remember I'm still wet behind the ears with this detector.

I hunted what I call my proving grounds a bit today,,found the partial pocket knife,,,and there is a good chance the small piece I found yesterday in this site belongs to the knife.
Notice the real small find in the top right of pic,,this baby rung in pretty good and was 6" deep.

Well I got hot as a bear,,and notice the sun had set behind some trees,,shading a site where a house and barn once stood--- I had never made a coin find in this particualr site,,and I busted it hard with etrac and CTX.

So off I went,,first target was a purex lid,,,I said to myself I know how those ring up on a minelab and so this was promising maybe some coins would show up. The iron was thick as flies,,and I get a atop you in your tracks tone,,meter reading 71,, out pops a penny.

I did get some tone on some even lower conductors reading in the steady 40s passed on them though,, btw I had dug a few lower conductors on previous hunts,,so I knew some were there,,junk target wise.

I keep moving around,,and get another purex lid.

Then I get another stop you in your tracks tone and look down at the meter,,,flashing 71,,I'm thinking another coin.
Cut the plug and turned it over and run the pinpointer in it and discovered the little shiny item,,,I'm thinking ok,,then I sweep the plug and the banging 71 was still there,,and low and behold out jumps another wheat penny.

Settings I used today,,DI2, O ID mask,,20 tone break, Imask 3, iron vol 3,, gain at 70.

This detector won't be going anywhere anytime soon,,except with me.

This detector can hunt coins,,especially in iron-- make no mistake.

How much do I like it thus far????
I have a new Racer 2,, and if things don't change with the relic detector,,,Racer 2 may not get much use.
And the small coil likely will not be leaving the end of my Relic's pole either.

I have another site lined up,,at a distance it looks like the cattle have it grazed down,,a site I hunted some,,but not much actually with a White's V3i,,,should be interesting to see what the relic detector pops out.

Actually I will be rehunting all of my sites I can get to in coming years (lol) using this relic detector.

I can already say this,,just based on my limited use of this detector.

The folks running the Minelabs coin hunting,,,,this detector is not pricey,,will augment your detecting possibilities on say gold, even coins in areas riddled with iron.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2016 02:32AM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Nokta relic hunt 6-24-2016
June 25, 2016 03:02AM
Nice work!
The Relic just nails those coins in the iron. I use very near the same settings as you do but have realized that I wasn't recovering anything that I cared to dig with a TID under 50. So, I run my tone break to 50 and roll. Yes, I know, I may be missing some goodies... I can always go back later as good targets thin out and check out those lower numbers.

Keep the finds coming!

Dean
June 25, 2016 11:15AM
Thanks Dean.

Something else I notice,,,it seems if a person listens-- and remember I'm listening via external speaker,,,even when running tone break say at 20,,, the signals that seem to be iron that come in over the tone break setting,,,many, most of them don't have the same touchy freely sound,,,but when the coil comes over the nonferrous it stands out.

Still learning obviously and enjoying every second.

I thing 2 tone suits me more,,versus 3 tone,,in areas where modern trash is moderate or almost nonexistent.

More to come,,
June 25, 2016 11:45AM
good story. that small coil don't miss much !
Dean, last time i hunted i only dug the stuff that came in above 70 i was thinking about setting tone break to something like 60, think i will try it.
June 25, 2016 12:06PM
How do you guys factor in the effect of broken signals from good targets that register near the tone break setting? I'm talking about, for example with TB set at 70, a target that fluctuates between, say 68 and 74, will often give a broken signal as the machine fluctuates between the lower tone and the higher tone. You don't necessarily hear low - high - low - hi - low; you are more likely to hear a low, fuzzy, on and off tone. At least, that's what I get.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
June 25, 2016 02:52PM
Potomac Run- I think, too, that it depends on the type of site and your "site strategy" for the day's hunt as to your tone break settings.
I hunt a couple of sites that have desirable lead finds...bag seals, old bullets, etc. Lead comes in at lower numbers 55-65 or so. I wouldn't set my tone break above 51 in those spots (DI2). Other spots with no desirable lead finds I would crank it up some. Most copper seems to come in above 65. If I were cherry picking coins I would set it at 70.... I better qualify that with- "in my soil".

tnsharpshooter- I agree with you, DI2 in areas mostly absent of modern trash is where it's at. It sure cuts through the nails. DI3 was my favorite setting on the CoRe- not so with the Relic. I love DI2.

Wayne- I know what you mean. It seems the machine can't quite decide where to put the target. I always investigate those. At times, you will get those targets that come in well below your TB setting but they are very stable on the TID from multiple swing directions and have a more "solid, positive" tone even though it's a grunt. I dig those too. Like I said, we can always go back later using different settings. That's the fun of it! HH!

Dean
June 25, 2016 03:21PM
Tnn, I would dig this steady 40s have found that old nickels fall in that range. The two V nickels I got with the relic were 44 and 46 respectively. I agree with you that it's very hard to put it down and use other machines when it's working so good. I usually set the tone break at 65 to give high tone on Indian heads in DI3, ID mask 20, Imask 0 iron volume 3. DI3 seems to work the best for me with flat tin.
June 25, 2016 03:34PM
ncwayne Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How do you guys factor in the effect of broken
> signals from good targets that register near the
> tone break setting? I'm talking about, for example
> with TB set at 70, a target that fluctuates
> between, say 68 and 74, will often give a broken
> signal as the machine fluctuates between the lower
> tone and the higher tone. You don't necessarily
> hear low - high - low - hi - low; you are more
> likely to hear a low, fuzzy, on and off tone. At
> least, that's what I get.
>
> Wayne

I don't think there will be a cut and dry answer to your question.

What I have seen thus far,,,,aside from nickels when hunting sites loaded with nails and modern trash,,,if I can ever see 60 come in the window,,,even if I have to pivot around target to get 60 or higher= dig for me.

And I'm sure by doing,,some things worthy likely to slip by,,,but right now in sites as I have described,,,as hot as it is,,,a person has to know their limitations by judging the amount of digging one can do in the HEAT.

Remember the gent who found the $1 gold coin some time ago with Deus,,,I believe in a site in Mo,,,,I would be busting that site again hard and heavy with the Relic detector with small coil attached.

A little off the subject here,,,but is some info I think I should share,,,,and not knocking any detector either,,,but I have hunted sites that were productive where I had busted with Deus both 11" and 9" coils,,,and I have busted these same sites with Racer 1 with 5x10" coil.

What did I find nonferrous wise in the sites with Racer 1 using the 5x10 coil??? Not one find period.

Now this is really not a bad thing to say,,,but it seems Racer 1 with 5x10 and Deus with 9" coil--- If I were a betting man,, based on my results = very similar performance separation wise in sites loaded with iron.

This one site,,I can't hunt currently,,,but here in a few weeks,,Relic detector will be going in,,,this will be another good test to see its performance.

And another reason why I'm planning hunting these Deus busted sites with Nokta relic detector,,,,,hunting sites busted with Deus,,,IMO most of what is left will likely be nonferrous that is extremely challenged by iron and nails,,, this ups the odds for me to actually nail down how the Nokta Relic detector talks to me on these super challenged targets.

Going to lesser hunted or virgin sites--- this learning for me likely to take more time,,,and I don't like wasting time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2016 03:37PM by tnsharpshooter.