Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Returning to the world Of BBS.....(1/19/17 Update..Picked up a scorcher of a GT went ahead and modded it too)

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Anyone looking for a BBS = heads up

there's 2 sov GT's and 2 sov. XS's on ebay up for auction/sale
That XS on there does not have the AA battery holders which are easy to purchase. But it also is lacking the little board they plug into. That is very hard to get. I PM'd the seller.
I liked the GT but to my ears there wasn't enough tone variation. Suposedly there was a way to increase the variation but I never popped the case to give it a try. Instead I relied on a 180 meter. Very accurate. Very large disc range for low conductors. In my ground I had to charge almost all the moderate to deep signals to get a true read. No ferrous falsing at all. That was one thing I really liked about it, the way you could get a near continuous un-broken tone with a little wiggle over the target, charging it up until it peaked and held steady. Took a bit to learn the volume and threshold settings as they weren't intuitive. The interactions seemed backwards to what I expected. The only multi-freq minelab ever made that was good on low conductors.

I thought it was a great detector but pretty slow hunting that way so I regulated it to the 'retired' list (detector to get again after retirement). Course then they go and discontinue it.

HH
Mike
Yes the used prices are ridiculous..

The new ones were cheaper than the used one LOL

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
Even the accessories for them are high for no more than what they are. Sheesh. A Minelab cover to hip/chest mount the control box is $40. The search coils are still $200+ unless you get one of the NEL/Cors coils for them. With the exception of Ron's meter...the other meters are right at $300.

I thought I was really onto something big with the Sovereign but my hunt yesterday really shut down that way of thinking for me. If you watched my video posted a in another thread down below, you will know why. I'm pretty sure the reason was the preset iron reject on the machine. When targets in the ground are being interpreted by the machine to be iron, then you'll never hear them if your discrimination is set to knock out iron. What I'm curious about is how the Sovereigns can handle wet sand and mineralized beaches so well but not so great in some forms of red dirt. I say some forms...because here at the house it is all red clay and it does pretty decent in the ground here but that powered red dirt like what is at my Civil War bullet site is another story.
Check those whisper iron signals at the beach. They can turn good with a few scoops of sand removed. Removing some sand is a whole lot easier than removing some of your hard dirt.
Hey Daniel..

Yes Coils are high unless u can find them used..

The meters are nice to have but aren't worth 300.00 lol..

I like the stock meters the best then mod them to 180 if there factory 550.

I'm not selling my 180 low profile ones..LOL..But wouldn't buy one either at the prices they command..

Keep an eye out for used stuff..

There's a Ron's meter on findmall right now for sale..Like cheap..just remember on a Rons meter you have to tap off the coil connector of the coil to make it work Via RCA plug..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
I was able to track down a used Tornado 8" coil, used black Ultimate 13 coil, and got one of Ron's meters used. The 8" and meter came today...Ultimate 13 will be here tomorrow.

Ron's meter didn't require any special hookup or tampering. It came with a 3 way cable...one end plugs into the meter box and then a male and female connector on a Y cable. The coil plugs into one and the other goes to the control box. Very simple design and extremely accurate as to the reference chart provided for it.

I will test the Ultimate against the Cors coil of the same size and see which I like the best then sell the other. I've got quite the Sovereign package now.
you'll like the 8 Tornado Daniel..

I saw that 13 ultimate Artie had..That's one I was interested in to see what it does..

Its probably going to be hard to beat the 10 tornado in the real world hunts though for day i day out use..

I like the 10 even in the trash ...

You may come down to the 8 T and 10 T.. and the end..

Good luck..

P.S.

Picked Up a Infinium local today..Another closet Queen LOL guy bought it a decade ago and never got to use it..I want to run it against the sovereign on the beach in late Sept.. ..ought to be fun..I have some more things to test against them Too..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
Well the Sovereign is my favorite detector. But I didn't have one in my arsenal for about six months. I rectified that yesterday and picked up a GT. My detector budget is tight right now, but I couldn't resist the detector. This post had me missing one like a long lost friend. I'll be looking for the brown truck.
I hunted with it about an hour yesterday around the fields on my property. I used the small Tornado coil. The meter is helping me recognize the tone differences. I was just kind of going along and digging things like I would if I were relic hunting and then checking the meter numbers and listening to signals. Just learning. I've not dug the first coin or keeper target with it yet, but I have dug a bunch of targets just to see what they actually were. This thing gives a lot of target info via audio. It is a lot like how I have learned the GPX, especially with the items that are right at the breaking point of the high/low tone and do what we have dubbed as the "turkey gobble".

I've not began to use disc on the Sovereign though; been keeping it at the minimum setting. There is a lot to learn on this machine; thankfully there is a lot of info out there on it, since it is 20+ years old and has had several books written on it, plus forum history that can be dredged up.

FWIW...I did play with the Ultimate and the Cors coil of the same size that I have (I forget the name of it...basically the NEL Tornado). I like the Ultimate better just because of the weight difference. The Ultimate is lighter weight and you can really feel the difference in them. Air test wise, they are pretty much the same.
My Elite Set Up (PIC)
August 12, 2016 10:44PM
Here's a Pic of My Elite Daniel with the straight shaft and Pluger handle with Digi-Meter on top..

Swings like a dream with the 10 inch..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2016 10:45PM by Keith Southern.
Hope it becomes your best friend Goodmoore..

I keep buying them up myself...

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
Another nice lookin rig there Keith thumbs down
Yeah DanielII'm sure the ultimate is at least lighter..

good feedback

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
Here is mine. I might try to come up with some other place to mount the meter; or might even eventually be able to get away from it and just go by sounds.

Mine is a Plugger's hipmount shaft but I liked the Minelab arm cuff better than the one that came with it; and it allowed me to mount the control box under the arm too. The box cover was a weather proof case I got from eBay from the UK. It is a nice little cover; I got it for the beach trip.
That Minelab cuff is the best I have used. I have drilled holes in other shafts to mount it and make it workable.
Nice box cover Daniel!!

I need a cover myself......Send info in P.M. when you get a chance Daniel...

Yes the Elite and GT and GPX series armrest is Superb..Goodmore..

What I did was order a Plugger grip from California....and bought a Minelab straight shaft off Amazon 40.00 free shipping with prime..then put the elite metal armrest on the minelab straight shaft..

You can also order/Go pickup those handle bar extenders like I used on the XS2A...I get them locally at bike shops like 18.00 for 2..I used a Plugger this time to see what the fuss was about..I like the Bike ones just as well maybe better?

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
Here is my Minelab Musketeer XS mounted on a Whites upper and lower rod and Minelab arm cuff. Can't remember what the middle rod came off of. Maybe an IDX. I first put this rod together for my Sovereign XS 2a Pro

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2016 09:27PM by Mike G..
Nice Rig !!

Yes the Whites pistol grip is always good solid viable option for mods!!

Thanks for the PIc!!

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
VIDEO showing Meter Mod and tone change
August 14, 2016 09:41PM
Hope this helps some who want to Know what to do or wondering what its all about..

[www.youtube.com]

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
Bought a Sovereign xs2a pro off of Keith. Had this old house site that had lots of iron in it. Hunted this place 2 Sunday's in a row with my CTX. Found 4 silvers with the CTX and some IH's and wheats. Was having trouble with iron falsing. So after talking to Keith about trying a Sovereign and deciding to go ahead aand purchase one I decided to use it at this old house site. Never using one before it took me a minute to get the hang of it. Found a wheat cent and a handful of modern change. Was getting a lot of nulling because of the iron but, no falsing. All targets that came up 180 on the meter were coins and then I got a high tone in the 170's about 4 or 5 inches deep. Was very surprised to dig this target up because I know I went over this spot several times with the CTX. This target was in the hole with iron all around it. Just wanted to thank Keith and Jim both members of this forum for all there help. Can't wait to see what the Sovereign can do in some of my other sites.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2016 07:25PM by Mccrorysjewelry2.
Very nice find. I'm surprised it rang that high in the 170's. Gold can be weird but a smooth sound.
Keith: How did you mount the v-clip on top of the handlebar extension? It's a clean look.
Thanks,
Duane
jrk
Re: What ya Think we petition MInelab for a SOVEREIGN
August 28, 2016 02:08PM
I'll buy 2! Now!!!

Who do I write the check to?

Randy

Des D Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Keith Southern Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Maybe I could start a New thread if anyone
> thinks
> > it's warranted..
> >
> > Ask for a New Sovereign maybe all terrain or
> just
> > a land version ..in an Xterra type box???
> >
> > The ultimate would be a AT-PRO challenger...ALL
> > TERRAIN but BBS and have visual ID ...Shouldn't
> be
> > that hard to do..
> > Sov for 700.00 dollars??
> > Just get this technology back on the
> market...too
> > good to let it sit idle...simple effective and
> > works in adverse ground with no adjustments...
> >
> > I for one would start a thread on a couple of
> > forum's and then send the link to Minelab..let
> > Minelab see people still want this technology
> in
> > a modern design.
> >
> > We can do it if Yall think it holds water..
> >
> > Keith
>
> "That's what I pointed out in another thread... a
> New VLF Hybrid tech - an auto switching and
> simultaneous VLF/BBS system in a platform like
> nothing we've seen so far...think bicycle
> helmets...in a really strong carbon fibre plastic
> mix. Twin coil processors DPT (dual processor
> technology) - one to process the ground signal
> only and auto GB the entire time to negate
> minerals - the other working in tandem with
> multiple processors in the tiny control box to
> focus on the target signal to produce finer /
> cleaner target ID's. In essence a huge improvement
> on their VFLEX system which by now is 'old hat
> technology' anyway. Such a device could kill off
> the French miracle in one fell swoop?"
Re: What ya Think we petition MInelab for a SOVEREIGN
August 28, 2016 07:07PM
P.M. Sent Randy ..

good to hear from ya..

Keith

jrk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'll buy 2! Now!!!
>
> Who do I write the check to?
>
> Randy
>
> Des D Wrote:
> -----
> > Keith Southern Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Maybe I could start a New thread if anyone
> > thinks
> > > it's warranted..
> > >
> > > Ask for a New Sovereign maybe all terrain or
> > just
> > > a land version ..in an Xterra type box???
> > >
> > > The ultimate would be a AT-PRO
> challenger...ALL
> > > TERRAIN but BBS and have visual ID
> ...Shouldn't
> > be
> > > that hard to do..
> > > Sov for 700.00 dollars??
> > > Just get this technology back on the
> > market...too
> > > good to let it sit idle...simple effective
> and
> > > works in adverse ground with no
> adjustments...
> > >
> > > I for one would start a thread on a couple of
> > > forum's and then send the link to
> Minelab..let
> > > Minelab see people still want this
> technology
> > in
> > > a modern design.
> > >
> > > We can do it if Yall think it holds water..
> > >
> > > Keith
> >
> > "That's what I pointed out in another thread...
> a
> > New VLF Hybrid tech - an auto switching and
> > simultaneous VLF/BBS system in a platform like
> > nothing we've seen so far...think bicycle
> > helmets...in a really strong carbon fibre
> plastic
> > mix. Twin coil processors DPT (dual processor
> > technology) - one to process the ground signal
> > only and auto GB the entire time to negate
> > minerals - the other working in tandem with
> > multiple processors in the tiny control box to
> > focus on the target signal to produce finer /
> > cleaner target ID's. In essence a huge
> improvement
> > on their VFLEX system which by now is 'old hat
> > technology' anyway. Such a device could kill
> off
> > the French miracle in one fell swoop?"

-Nikola Tesla
Good job on the Sovereign Keith,

Like others, I too feel the Sovereign has some life left in it. It can go on for another generation if packaged right with the right meter assembly and a few upgrades in place.

Minelab needs to give it more thought, it would be a good unit for us who see the advantages.

Excellent work Keith!
Paul
jrk
Re: Returning to the world Of BBS.....I've done a VIDEO showing Meter Mod and tone change
August 29, 2016 01:38PM
Thanks Keith! Likewise.

Randy
1/19/17 Update..Picked up a scorcher of a GT went ahead and modded it too
January 20, 2017 12:40AM
Well picked up a GT last week..

Dug in the parts bin and got some rods and and such and threw together a straight rod mod and did the 180 meter mod...

Feels good..

Power tip,,,Makro lower rods are Cheap 16 bucks...Minelab are 42.00...the Makros work perfect!!

Still loving the Sovereigns..

Save the BBS' ...LOL..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
I love the setup! You must have shaved a couple of ounces off with the custom rod setup? I agree - save BBSthumbs down
Thanks..!!

I was going to use the Minelab GPX type armrest pon back but installed it and it seemed rear heavy...so swapped to a Whites armrest..helped alot..

What we have is a Whites 80s style hip mount pistol grip..a sovereign center rod..I used a pipe cutter to remove it form S-Pole..and a Makro lower rod..

I took a piece of flat stock and bent it and slid it in the grip and riveted it in place...and riveted the clip for meter...may add a remote switch for all metal disc under the meter??

Keith

-Nikola Tesla