Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

View of my hunting ground.

Posted by ghound 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
View of my hunting ground.
July 14, 2016 08:39AM
This was at 630am, you can just see part of the 13th century castle in the background!

Re: View of my hunting ground.
July 14, 2016 10:37AM
Nice! .....That will take a while, good luck. I'm sure you'll find something exciting.
July 14, 2016 10:42AM
Luckily for the sheep, they're not in Wales, so they're safe.
July 14, 2016 11:23AM
ghound let us know what you find! Great picture by the way.

That deeptech machine you are using, how high can the discrimination be set?
July 14, 2016 11:27AM
Hungarian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ghound let us know what you find! Great picture by
> the way.
>
> That deeptech machine you are using, how high can
> the discrimination be set?

That machine is a Golden Mask 5
July 14, 2016 02:59PM
Pimento Wrote:
> Luckily for the sheep, they're not in Wales, so
> they're safe.

What's up with Wales, Pimento? Or should I not ask and use my off colored imagination?

Reminds me of the old joke about the Indian and the Ventriloquist......The last line in it was the Indian speaking to the Ventriloquist, "Don't talk to sheep.....sheep lie".

No need to go further than that.
July 14, 2016 03:02PM
Looks like a great spot. I bet stuff is very deep there.
July 14, 2016 03:13PM
Ozzie: Google, and off-coloured imagination, should be enough to get your answer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2016 03:14PM by Pimento.
July 14, 2016 03:17PM
Sometimes the best looking sites are the worst to hunt I have had that happen to me many times and the sites I'm thinking of passing on seem to have the best finds...

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
July 14, 2016 03:28PM
Wow...hope you have lots of time and energy and a big coil as awful lots of ground to cover...good luck in your ventures and find one coin mark the spot as either hit a hotspot or continue your hunt next year...
July 14, 2016 03:51PM
I know where I would be swinging my coil....up close to the castle ruins.
July 15, 2016 12:00AM
Please excuse the expletive...

ozzie Wrote:
> Pimento Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Luckily for the sheep, they're not in Wales, so
> > they're safe.
>
> What's up with Wales, Pimento? Or should I not ask
> and use my off colored imagination?
>
> Reminds me of the old joke about the Indian and
> the Ventriloquist......The last line in it was the
> Indian speaking to the Ventriloquist, "Don't talk
> to sheep.....sheep lie".
>
> No need to go further than that.
July 15, 2016 12:38AM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> Please excuse the expletive...

Since there is no picture of a metal detector, I don't think anybody here will notice it. grinning smiley
July 15, 2016 12:41AM
Funny, Gordon Ramsey would definitely say something like that. lol
July 15, 2016 01:51PM
I wish I had old pasture to hunt. I wish I have real history. If I find a 100 year old coin here, I'm over the moon. I see these vids of you guys and your pastures and it turns me green. "Oh it just another Victoria young head penny!!!!" I've never touched a Victoria young head penny! Clad coins were introduced here in 1927 for crying out loud!

Buy the way, would you consider the Golden Mask 5 to be a deep machine? Easy to hit a half penny at 10 inches in low mineral soil? Do you find the "graph scale" read out showing types of metal on the target to be useful in identifying deep rusty large iron?

Thanks
July 19, 2016 07:58AM

Hi, forgot to update this, i found nothing age related to the site, a couple of musket balls, religious pendant and an 1820s silver shilling.
Wasn't expecting much to be honest as it was more of a test session for the detector and operator as the ground has been destroyed by green waste, you get dozens of signals in each sweep of the coil. I ran it in 8khz and on mono tone which seemed the best choice, 18khz was just picking everything up.
Other than the pendant everything was around the 7-8' mark so could have been found with other machines easy enough, though it is quite mineralised and needs factored in.
I do remember a particular day spending 5 hours on this property with another detector and only found a dog tag, so quite pleased with the GM5
Borneo-bleeper, im not sure if it would be a deep machine in good ground, it gets a big old english penny at 13-14' in an air test so that's about its limit, where it works best for me is in med-high mineralised soil as it loses very little of its depth compared to other detectors that trump it in air tests, eg the racer gets the same penny at about 18' in air, but can barely get 9' in my soil with stock coil, the GM5 easily gets it with depth to spare with a nine inch coil.
The spectrum screen like most ID screens is accurate to a point, i much prefer it to a number readout. Take for example a nail and set it on a coin and it will show both metals on the screen, with a number based ID it might show one number-both-or just jump between them, then you got to remember what each number relates to etc etc, i find this more simple.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2016 09:20AM by ghound.
July 19, 2016 10:28AM
Still a good days finds.....couple silvers.......comparing it to over here in the states, anyway.

G-hound, what is green waste....sheep $hit ?
July 19, 2016 11:10AM
Ozzie, green waste is susposed to be recycled biodegradable type of fertiliser but it also contains small fragments of glass, ferrous and non ferrous metal etc you can see it by eye when the ground is ploughed and and harrowed, nasty stuff!
There's stories of farm animals getting it stuck in their feet and mouths, I'd never use it on my own farm.