Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tom you are going to hate me for this....

Posted by Jackpine 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Tom you are going to hate me for this....
March 25, 2007 11:50AM
Much of my detecting is for for small low conductors (jewelry) in the iron infested shallows of fresh water lakes. I have had good success with the 1236X2 for this as the audio allows me to pick out hints of small non-ferrous targets in iron. Believe it or not the 1236 will pick out small kids 10K rings in some pretty nasty conditions. I also use the ML Advantage and although it does very well on copper coins (one scoop, multiple nails, one old copper penny) in those conditions it does not have the same responsiveness to small low conductors as the 1236. The 1270 works very well in small iron but not around larger flat irregularly shaped rusty iron/tin (iron disc 5-5.5, sens 3-4).

Will the T2/F-75 have this same ability as the 1236? Why my greater success with concentric coils on the Fishers, even using 8" concentrics compared to the ML's DD coil of about 7.25". I know frequency has a lot to do with it but the 1236 at 5.7 something Khz is not much different than the ML Advantage.

Ok, the bread and butter question (pun intended). In your opinion, will the F-75 do better in this scenerio with a small concentric or a small DD? Rounds vs elliptical?? and how will it respond to the larger irregularly shaped crap in highly conductive shallow fresh water. Will it act like the 1270 or more like the 1236??? I can read the bigger stuff with the 1236 without having to raise the coil and hits right on the edge of the junk have enough info to tell me if its falsing or a co-located small target a large percentage of the time, occasionally the 1270 surprises by digging some really weird sounding responses.

I told ya you would hate me. LOL

Tom

PS: I am on the verge of trying out a Tesoro Cibola for these conditions. Vince seems to think it would be better than the Vaquero in fresh water. Don't have a clue as to why but that was his recomendation.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2007 12:42PM by Jackpine.
Re: Tom you are going to hate me for this....
March 26, 2007 09:15PM
There are so many variables between detectors; ie.... process speed, 'stacked' filters, resonance, coil config, operating freq, Sensitivity vs. white noise.... etc.....

The (current) ideal field intensity footprint for small low-conductors is a "elliptical" ""DD"". The intensity of the field-strength is very dense within a electromagnetically confined corridor, thus placing a higher level of energy into/on small objects....even over 'round' DD's. Concentric coils have the electromagnetic energy much more dispersed (thinned out); hence less detection of small objects; yet, inversely & inherently more stable over E-DD's.

Comparing the 36-X2 to a 1270 is somewhere between apples-to-apples...and...apples-to-oranges. Comparing T-2 to F-75 is apples-to-oranges when F-75 Jewelry mode is invoked, higher sensitivity settings,,, '0' zero discrimination....and small jewelry is being tested. Comparing F-75 to 1270/1236-X2 is comparing apple-to-school bus. Take that true 10K (NOT gold plated), thin-band, Size '3' kids gold ring.....and use a pair of side cutters and 'cut open' the ring. Keep it in a circle.... but keep the cut 'open' so as to break continuity of circle. This will (forever) be your current & future test-standard by way of ALL future comparison head-to-head testing. ((( You may already have some form of a low-conductor "test-standard" ))). You will learn that 1236 & 1270 will not detect this target. The T-2 may detect it to approx 1".... assuming maxed out settings. The F-75 will detect it to approx 3". A Gold Bug-II will get it at 4".

For the type of hunting you are doing, I would recommend a GB-II with "Iron Disc" switch invoked..... assuming mineralization is not severe. Then calibrate your learning curve to sweep-speed vs. distance-covered "Target Size Profiling"..... and recover the targets that meet your size criteria.

The F-75 would also be a good choice utilizing stock coil config.... or future smaller elliptical DD coil. And the F-75 is also a General Purpose unit.... should you decide to dabble into other types of hunting arena.

Keep in mind..... if you hunt in bad ground; good targets may ALL want to report as iron.

Concentric coils like circumferentially 'round' objects; .... E-DD coils hardly care.

A standard concentric coil on the T-2 or F-75 would most likely make the unit less 'chattery' .... as it would then become 'less' sensitive to all of the tiny trash this Earth conceals. A concentric coil would also 'desensitize' the unit to tiny objects..... but amp-gain coin-sized objects,,,,...... especially at depth....possibly (most probably) trumping all other detectors for overall total depth. A concentric coil (vs. DD) in bad ground,,,,,...... well, you can't win them all!

Tom
Thanks for the reply ...
March 27, 2007 11:17AM
I have consdered the Bug II but, not sure of the iron ID function. Is it a form of iron ID by the audio response only or is there adjustable disc control in the iron range?

Since you brought up concentric coils, it begs the question, was the "default mode" gain setting on the F-75 designed/intended primarily for concentric coils and coin hunting?

Tom

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2007 12:19PM by Jackpine.
Re: Thanks for the reply ...
March 28, 2007 11:07PM
The GB-II "Iron Disc" switch is a non-adjustable (fixed) iron discrim..... and it's dialed in to a hair-splitting iron disc set-point. The smallest/tiny non-ferrous low-conductor items will be detected with iron Disc invoked.

Default mode on F-75 is factory standard mode.... no additional attenuators,,,no additional amps/filters. . . . with no concern of concentric or E-DD coils.

Tom