Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I have broken two Lesche digging tools in the last nine months

Posted by Bayard 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I have broken two Lesche digging tools in the last nine months
July 18, 2016 06:15PM
Last October, I managed to crack the blade of my Lesche digger. The crack started at the serration nearest the handle, an obvious stress concentration point. The factory sent me a free warranty replacement. I presumed breaking a Lesche was a once in a lifetime fluke; however, the nine-month-old-replacement digger now shows a crack in the exact same location. The factory is willing to replace this one under warranty as well; but, I'm starting to lose confidence in the long term viability of this otherwise excellent tool.

Any suggestions for other brands of diggers? I contemplated having the serration where the crack begins welded up; but, the factory said this would void the warranty. I dig in soft Illinois soil and am no stronger than the average man by the way.
Re: I have broken two Lesche digging tools in the last nine months
July 18, 2016 06:22PM
If you are breaking Lesche's there is probably no better option for you in the hand digger department. Maybe a 18" or 31" Sampson?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2016 06:23PM by detectingMO.
July 18, 2016 06:36PM
Check our Predator tools. They were the makers of the original Lesche before. I am on my 6th year with the serrated edge hand trowel and 9th year with the short Little Eagle relic shovel. I have found them to be better then the current Lesche. HH jim tn
July 18, 2016 06:45PM
Predator......the big one.....model 85 I think.....never had a problem with mine....gl and hh!
July 18, 2016 06:46PM
All I can say here,,,not all metals used in tools is the same.

With so e of the outsourcing to foreign countries,,,,I see this with tractor implement cutting blades, etc.

To the naked eye,,one won't know,,,but with use= Bingo!!

Even things like butcher knives have changed for the worst.

Cheers and I hope you find a digging tool that will last you for a least a sensible period of time.
July 18, 2016 06:50PM
I have broken two also but I blame nobody but myself...I will still consider nothing else for a hand digger.
These are designed for digging, not prying, and I do way too much of that.
The first one I bent after attempting to pry up a chunk of frozen soil in the winter, a few months later it broke, the second was prying up a big rock stuck in the ground, I even felt it bend at the time, and big roots will do the same if you catch your blade under them.
I live in the southeast with lots of hard as concrete tough dirt I need to chop through when it gets super dry, I have cut plugs correctly and dug dirt in great soil and bad and nothing affects this thing, in my experience these actions can't hurt the thing in any way except maybe wear down the blade a bit, but prying will do it just about every time if you push it too far.

I am not saying you did this, maybe your grass is an extra tough type that I don't know about, but it sure sounds thinks that's what happened.
I am usually in a big ol' hurry and sometimes don't cut plugs right, don'tcomplete cuts around the plug completely or don't undercut enough to cut the plug free and still pry...I should not do this but I forget this is a digging tool and not a prying tool because this action can weaken that blade also.
Again, not the tool's fault...mine.

This kind of action will usually result in the same result on most normal diggers even the top ones of any brand.

I might suggest you replace this one again, (love this warranty and that's why I use this brand!), and use it but immediately start looking for another type that will hold up for you because you seem even tougher on these than I am and I didn't think this is possible.

I might suggest looking into a very well designed and super tough positive reviewed Hori Hori type digger instead.
That might hold up better.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2016 07:13PM by diggwr27.
July 18, 2016 06:58PM
My diggers were made by W. W. Manufacturing. Is the Predator Tools version better?
July 18, 2016 06:59PM
The U.K-made "Evolution" products get very positive reviews:
[www.metaldetectingauction.com]

I have no affiliation to the manufacturer, I've just seen plenty of Forum chat.
July 18, 2016 07:06PM
Bayard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My diggers were made by W. W. Manufacturing. Is
> the Predator Tools version better?

Doubt it.
Similar styles on many models between them, similar thinking on metal choice and manufacturing methods because these companies were run by the same guy...George Lesche.
I have seen owners post about these tools breaking too, just about all of them admitted that was after pushing them to the limit and then a little bit past.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2016 09:25PM by diggwr27.
July 18, 2016 08:40PM
Predator tools are made by George Lesche in his shop. Lesche tools are made somewhere other than the U.S. One is a Mercedes, the other a Yugo.
July 18, 2016 09:02PM
Shenandoah Digger Wrote:
> Predator tools are made by George Lesche in his
> shop. Lesche tools are made somewhere other than
> the U.S. One is a Mercedes, the other a Yugo.

First time ever hearing that....ever.
This is why....

"Made in the U.S.A.

So many tools these days are made overseas (and can be of questionable quality). The Lesche Digging Tool is made in Bridgeton, NJ and has a 5-year warranty. The maker, W.W. Manufacturing Co. Inc., was founded in the 1950’s by Walter Lesche and is still family owned."

There was divorce, some sort of family trouble and George Lesche left.
Using the same knowledge he gained making the Lesche tools, (in the USA), he picked right up and continued to make tools under the new name Predator tools using similar techniques and aircraft quality steel common to both companies.

All of this is well known and has been discussed often in the forums over the years..

[www.findmall.com]

I have the same faith in the quality of both companies, even was going to order a Predator Raptor tool at one time because the scoop design would have helped me dig deeper holes faster in the very nice black Kansas soil.
After realizing that a move back to the southeast was coming and knowing that the Raptor without that smaller, more pointed tip would never penetrate this much tougher soil anywhere as easily I just chose to stay with the very popular standard configuration Lesche tool I already had.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2016 09:17PM by diggwr27.
July 18, 2016 09:03PM
Shenandoah Digger Wrote:

Both companies claim to manufacture in this country. Unless you have some inside information, I believe you are mistaken.
July 18, 2016 09:14PM
Shenandoah Digger Wrote:

Ummm....last time I checked New Jersey was still in the United States.

I know it doesn't seem like it when you hear them talk, but....
smiling smiley
mike
July 20, 2016 07:42AM
Prozac

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
July 20, 2016 09:31AM
I had a mate back in Oz make my picks and he set them over here, I think they are made from Disc plough blades they are a work of art and just the right size, I made the handle from a Beech Pick Axr hand I went and bought so that won't break, But I will order some of those tools from that UK company and see how it goes,

John
July 20, 2016 12:11PM
Digging tools can basically come in 2 forms and these are usually purpose made tools or say modified gardening/agricultural ones,cost of course can play a massive part of what tool is purchase.

One of the popular options over here in the UK is buying a small spade with a lightweight nylon handle,this is great for carrying around all day due to being light,but when the going gets tough like it is at the moment because of the hot weather the ground becomes like concrete,so folks tend to put more pressure on the shaft and they then find out they are snapping like carrots.This usually only happens when you are miles away from the car or home then you are in big problems.

Another popular option is using a womans stainless border spade and the blade is cut with a grinder into a shield shape and usually comes with a strong Ash handle,these do work very well and had mine for many many years,but always carry a backup just incase.

Then we start getting onto Pro purpose made tools in different sizes and shapes,these of course come at a cost,but over a greater time duration the cost is cheaper,digging tools are made with different peoples budgets in mind and for the most part they work very well,in some cases like the opening post has mention that they have broken 2 spades in a short time duration.Could this be due to a design fault or operator error or a mixture of both ?? that is not for me to say.

I use a brand of digging spades and also including sandscoops and small trowels that are made as about as strong as anyone could wish for,you could drive a tank over them and try and bend the shafts and they still come back for more.I wont mention the brand or a link or even a video link as i dont want to fall foul of the forum rules.

But digging spades have too be reliable,its all well and good getting a free replacement spade for life,sometimes they have small print cop out clauses attached with them as well,but what good is a free replacement spade when it breaks and usually when you are miles away from the car,trust me that is called sods law when it happens,it does not happen when you are insight of you car or near home.

Reliability is the key thing as also is the very important boot/shoe sole protectors on top of the blade which some folks forget about,a decent pair of boots are not cheap and can be junked without those important boot protectors which only cost a small amount to add when making the spades.
July 20, 2016 01:27PM
Boot protector? Never have seen one.
July 20, 2016 01:37PM
bado1 Wrote:
> Boot protector? Never have seen one.

Some folks make a detecting spades out of say a el-cheapo garden spade cut down with a grinder,which is fine,but across the top edge of the blade they usually have say a stiff top edge of the blade of the metal rolled over,some half metal welded on the top as well,its too protect the sole of your boots,shoes from being damaged by the sharp top edge of the blade.But on some cheap spades or digger they may be left off to reduce cost etc.

So this why i call them boot protectors,could be called many other names i guess,its just to stop your boots from getting damaged when pushing down onto the blade when digging,folks across the pond may call them differently.
July 21, 2016 04:08AM
I would never rule out a manufacturing defect, but...

Both Predator and Lesche tools are well made and sturdy.

Usually when they fail, it's because the user is using the tool as a prying instrument too often with way more force than the digger is designed for..
July 21, 2016 05:05AM
Diggers not for prying.

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.
July 21, 2016 05:01PM
Gator diggers. I love them
July 22, 2016 02:14PM
Oh for the good old days....after 25 years my 3 in 1 with wooden handle is about an inch shorter...not to be confused with new version with plastic handle which will snap....
July 22, 2016 02:32PM
goodmore Wrote:
> Gator diggers. I love them

Add me to that group. And a Gator will pry all day long when a Lesche will fold up like snitch facing hard time.
I have both, but my Lesche looks almost new and my Gator is probably an inch shorter than it started life from all the sharpening.
July 22, 2016 03:18PM
I bought a Treasure Wise digger late in 2004. Been using it ever since without issues. Needs a light sharpning ever so often but thats about all. I tried a Lesche but decided I liked the Treasure Wise digger better and didn't keep it.
Take a look and see what you think.

HH
Mike