Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Short hunt with GM5

Posted by ghound 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Short hunt with GM5
July 21, 2016 07:04AM

Had another outing with the GM5 last night at a site of an old schoolhouse. School houses here mostly only go back to the 1600 from the time of Scottish and English plantation of Ireland. A couple of friends also went, one with minelab 705 and an etrac.
The little GM5 sparked some interest especially the weight, carbon shaft and wireless headphones, ran it in 2 tone in 8khz and it held it's own with a couple of coins, the same as the etrac, though they were well past their best, no silver though, there can't always be silver!
Re: Short hunt with GM5
July 24, 2016 03:20AM
Some nice finds.

I need to read up some on your detector,,,know little about.
July 24, 2016 10:25AM
Had an hours hunt on the same field this morning before rain stopped play, absolutely stoked as i got a hammered coin, think its 1350s, just waiting for a confirmation on ID
I was running the 18khz which is very sensitive, coins like this are rare in my area as in this period we were bartering and trading goods more than using coinage.
Totally loving this detector!
July 24, 2016 12:01PM
What a find!!,..... cool primitive looking coin.
July 24, 2016 12:26PM
Thanks Ozzy, it's smaller than a 5 cents and about a 5th of the thickness!
It's a bit older than i thought, King Edward 111, dated 1307-1327
700 years in the dirt, real history, got to love this hobby!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2016 02:23PM by ghound.
July 24, 2016 02:23PM
That coin is awesome! Great find!! Old coins here in AZ., USA date to the late 1800ssad smiley.

Dean
July 24, 2016 02:28PM
Cheers Dean.
July 24, 2016 02:50PM
Nice items and love the hammered...... Very nice machine the GM5 when running sweet..... Well done.
July 24, 2016 02:58PM
Cheers Ziggy, i watched your vids of it before buying, i love the simplicity of the spectrum screen compared to a number ID, and it cuts through my mineralised ground like a knife, it's a keeper.
July 24, 2016 05:59PM
Your hammered is killer, looks like it has the court jester in the center!

How do you like your GM5? Is there any issue with lag on the wireless headphones? How do they sound compared to normal detector headphones (like KIller B's or whatever you get in the U.K.)?

I like the multifreq aspect, seems to be a similar machine as what Nokta is going after on their, yet to be released, Impact.

hh,
Brian
July 24, 2016 06:24PM
Excellent coin..

Thanks for sharing...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
July 24, 2016 06:44PM

Thanks guys, Brian I'm pretty critical of the detectors I've used but to be honest this one ticks all the boxes for my type of hunting.
For a modern coin/park hunter or depth machine in good ground there's better alternatives out there, but for relics, old copper and silver at depth in mineralised ground its ace, and the headphones are spot on, no lag that I've noticed, pair immediately and have volume control etc.