Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

A suggestion here for this forum

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
A suggestion here for this forum
July 24, 2016 04:32PM
I certainly don't know the in and outs about programs involved with this forum for example.

But is there a way,,,that could be done here,,,where an option is open for Op creating thread,,,so they can post info and at their choosing,,,make their particular thread automatically bump or not??

A choice,,or even maybe a way to select for example a time frame for thread to be bumped,,,when folks respond for example like 5 days,,a week, etc

Folks hungry for information will tend to seek out,,,even by doing searches here.

I feel sometimes some folks may be refraining from giving valuable opinion/ experience /thoughts for fear they realize their posting bumps the thread in question.

Maybe Wild Wally will comment on this.
Re: A suggestion here for this forum
July 24, 2016 05:13PM
at the very least, there should be a sticky section
July 25, 2016 12:53PM
On most forum software there are these options. Usually only the admin can set them.

Nox600, CTX, CZ21, Excal II and White's DF with 920i stealthscoop...I live and hunt at the beach in Wilm NCsmiling smiley
July 25, 2016 09:06PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I certainly don't know the in and outs about
> programs involved with this forum for example.
>
> But is there a way,,,that could be done
> here,,,where an option is open for Op creating
> thread,,,so they can post info and at their
> choosing,,,make their particular thread
> automatically bump or not??

Why would you want a thread that has run its course to be revived for no reason? We'd all be looking to see what dialog has been added only to find none.
>
> A choice,,or even maybe a way to select for
> example a time frame for thread to be
> bumped,,,when folks respond for example like 5
> days,,a week, etc
>
> Folks hungry for information will tend to seek
> out,,,even by doing searches here.
>
> I feel sometimes some folks may be refraining from
> giving valuable opinion/ experience /thoughts for
> fear they realize their posting bumps the thread
> in question.

What are you trying to say here? Folks don't want to reply to an old thread that is the result of their search because it will revive the thread and bring it back to the top of the list? Is that what you meant to say? Because that is what you said.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
July 26, 2016 12:02AM
And what is wrong with bring old threads to life again, ??

One thing that so many have complained about on the Whites is the forum software automatically locks the thread after a certain amount of time which makes it impossible to expand the subject any further, I posted on an old thread last week and people had more of an issue with the fact I had posted on an old thread totally ignoring the question, Which is stupid,

If people don't like it then don't read it and more to the point what on earth has it got to do with them if they have no intension to answer the Question in the first place just to bitch at someone over something that has nothing to do with them. When I know that they would never comment if I was standing 3 feet in front of them,

John.
July 26, 2016 12:43AM
auminesweeper Wrote:
> And what is wrong with bring old threads to life
> again, ??

Who said it is wrong? I didn't and I don't think tnsharpshooter meant to say it, either. That is what my post was about. Folks here, and other forums as well, are not careful enough or courteous enough, oftentimes, to speak or write clearly.
So, much of the griping and fussing is often due to misunderstandings rather than actual differences. There is reason for caution before hitting the post message button and also reason for caution before firing off a reply. CAREFULLY READ WHAT YOU AND OTHERS WRITE before POSTING!

BTW, John, I appreciate your contributions to the forum. You have much experience and knowledge to share. And I understand your frustrations and anger with White's for letting you and many other long-time White's supporters down. But your relentless repetition of your angry comments just adds to the noise quotient, IMO. I heard you the first time and I am sure others here and at White's heard you, too. Please move on to posts of more light and less heat.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

July 26, 2016 01:11AM
I think folks are misunderstanding me.

To have the op,,given the choice to have their thread bump,,,or being able to select how long it will be bumped.

Doesn't mean a person would have to choose,,,therefore the way threads are done now,, would be the result.
July 26, 2016 01:15AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> I think folks are misunderstanding me.
>
> To have the op,,given the choice to have their
> thread bump,,,or being able to select how long it
> will be bumped.
>
> Doesn't mean a person would have to
> choose,,,therefore the way threads are done now,,
> would be the result.

Arrrr Right now I understand, Thanks for clearing that up,

Well done,

John
July 26, 2016 04:07AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> I think folks are misunderstanding me.
>
> To have the op,,given the choice to have their
> thread bump,,,or being able to select how long it
> will be bumped.
>
> Doesn't mean a person would have to
> choose,,,therefore the way threads are done now,,
> would be the result.

that's better? So you're saying if ops had the choice to have "their thread bump..." would result in the same thing as we have now?
no wonder folks are misunderstanding you, tnss. Are you sure you understand what you are saying?

No disrespect intended, but very difficult to decipher without your decoder ring.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC

July 26, 2016 11:41AM
ncwayne Wrote:
> tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I think folks are misunderstanding me.
> >
> > To have the op,,given the choice to have their
> > thread bump,,,or being able to select how long
> it
> > will be bumped.
> >
> > Doesn't mean a person would have to
> > choose,,,therefore the way threads are done
> now,,
> > would be the result.
>
> that's better? So you're saying if ops had the
> choice to have "their thread bump..." would result
> in the same thing as we have now?
> no wonder folks are misunderstanding you, tnss.
> Are you sure you understand what you are saying?
>
> No disrespect intended, but very difficult to
> decipher without your decoder ring.
>
> Wayne

Wayne,

Maybe this explanation will help.

For example a person wants to list a detector for sale.

They could post,,,and select for example to allow the thread be bumped for 5 days.

An off topic thread,,,op could elect not to have bumped,,,yet folks could still comment.

A hunt story,,,folks could elect to let bump for 5 says for example.

Now,,some folks here ( newbies) maybe,,,may be a bit shy here to post,,,,realizing when they do,,,may not post feeling they will draw attention if they do post,,,,because the thread will be bumped when they post comments.

Now ,,a person here who post,,,would have to have knowledge while reading of how the thread is set up initially " bump wise" by the op.

And to add folks would have to take responsibility here,,,to choose if their post bumps,,and for how long.

This whole subject,,and being able to implement here,,,,could be viewed as either too complicated or not possible to do.

Some of the off topic threads here,,,,we have seen what can happen.

And this recommendation I have here,,,could be one solution to help.

I certainly don't have any ulterior motives here for suggesting this.

And input here provided by folks on this recommendation,,,all good.

I certainly hope this explains better for you and maybe others.

One more thing,,,if it were possible even to have where the responder could choose,,,when they post,,,to have or not allow the thread to bump when they respond --- this too might help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2016 11:47AM by tnsharpshooter.
July 26, 2016 11:45AM
Personally, gets a little frustrating see a post for 3 years ago with 5 pages ...... just to find out its really really old. First thing one does is go to the last page to see the recent comments....... then you have to read all those pages so someone dont beam you up for repeating what someone else already said. I prefer someone who has a question start another thread and include previous threads they read leading to the question. Now that sticky ...... especially some of Toms would be interesting. No one seems to like to search for the answer....... which most times are in a previous thread.

Dew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2016 11:49AM by dewcon4414.
July 26, 2016 02:07PM
I would like to have an ignore or block button for individuals. Some of the other forums I go to have this...anything they post is invisible if you are logged in.