Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Advice Needed - Saltwater/Beach Hunting Detector

Posted by rustic charm 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Advice Needed - Saltwater/Beach Hunting Detector
July 28, 2016 06:02PM
Hi Guys -

I an based here in NZ & have a friend who is looking at doing some water/beach hunting during our summer months -

He has narrowed it down to the 3 following units, so if you could let me know which of the three may be the best option please feel free to pass on your advice - I appreciate feedback from both experienced hunters as well as those of you new to the hobby as your input is as valuable in many ways as well -

Fisher 1280X
Tesoro Sand Shark
Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II

Being based in NZ we would still possibly have to send anyone of the above units to the USA to be serviced as the Garrett/Fisher Dealer here do not carry out the repairs/warranty work themselves, but forward them through to the US (from my understanding) -

Is there a clear difference in performance etc? - Thanks guys - Any feedback is truly appreciated and especially from those of you who do water hunt & have experience with the about units -

Vincent

[www.earthscan.co.nz]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2016 06:03PM by rustic charm.
Re: Advice Needed - Saltwater/Beach Hunting Detector
July 28, 2016 06:47PM
I have not used the Garrett Sea Hunter. I have had both the Fisher 1280X and the Tesoro Sand Shark and presently have the Tesoro Tiger Shark. The Sand Shark is a PI detector and while it works very well on and in the Saltwater beaches, being a PI, it has no discrimination so you need to plan on digging iron trash targets like bottle caps and bobby or hair pins. It will have much greater depth than the Fisher 1280X. The 1280X is a VLF and because it is, it does have discrimination and the ability to eliminate the iron trash targets. The 1280X does not work very well on the saltwater wet sand or in the water so it's really made for fresh water hunting. I also feel it's not nearly as good in the fresh water as many other detectors such as the Tesoro Tiger Shark, White's Beach Hunter ID, Fisher CZ20/21, or Minelab Excaliber. It sounds to me from your post that you're looking for something for saltwater beaches. Forget about the 1280X. Saltwater beaches with the ability to use in the water PI detectors (dig all) would be the Tesoro Sand Shark, White's Dual Field PI, and the Headhunter PI. For Saltwater friendly VLF detectors you should be looking at the Fisher CZ 20/21, White's Beach Hunter ID, and the Minelab Excaliber. JMHO
July 28, 2016 10:21PM
Are they a beginner?

Do they want a PI or VLF detector? What kind of detector is most often used in that area (PI or VLF)?

Nox600, CTX, CZ21, Excal II and White's DF with 920i stealthscoop...I live and hunt at the beach in Wilm NCsmiling smiley
July 29, 2016 12:48AM
Go with the PI. He may dig more trash, but depth is everything. The other two just don't qualify.
July 29, 2016 01:07AM
thanks Tom Slick - I will pass on your input - I really appreciate it -

Hi adam bomb - No he is an experienced land hunter but wanted to get into doing some saltwater hunting this year - the Fisher 1280X was a late choice thrown in by the local Fisher dealer and i should have picked the fact up that it is indeed a VLF - I do think he is after a PI so that now narrows the choice down somewhat - I am all ears however on anything you might have to say -

goodmore - that what I was recommending to him at the start, obviously I missed the most basic of narrowing it down - VLF/PI
I take it the Garrett is also VLF? - Bearing this in mind, that then leaves the Sand Shark (PI) and the recommendations TS has advised on - Can you add to those already mentioned goodmore/adam bomb?

I thank you ALL so much for your input - winking smiley

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
July 29, 2016 12:15PM
Ill relay what i told someone the other day...... a guys said im not digging any targets...... my answer to him, if you just want to dig targets get a PI. If you havent been a water hunter and dont know your beach then you dont know how much trash you will be digging. Most of the time its how you want to hunt. If you want to work a section of beach then a PI maybe a good choice........ but i wouldnt recommend one if there is a lot of competition during recent drop periods. An Xcal or CZ would be more practical as a first machine...... then pick up a PI later for clean up.

Dew
July 29, 2016 12:42PM
I think non beach hunters say they want to dig it all until they spend a few hours digging pieces of fish hooks that you cant even find half the timeconfused smiley. I think PIs are great but they are definitely for specific types of hunters, on certain beaches, at certain times. If he is just going for a vacation or something it wont matter but as a dedicated beach machine I would definitely get a VLF unless he has a good case for the PI. If the beach turns out to be trashy he is going to go nuts with a PI and if the beach has really low mineralization like mine, the VLF will be just as deep. I was on a trashy patch of sand this morning and went nuts just digging pieces of foil...I couldnt imagine if I also had to dig the iron too. I prefer the PI in the water and on highly mineralized beaches.

Nox600, CTX, CZ21, Excal II and White's DF with 920i stealthscoop...I live and hunt at the beach in Wilm NCsmiling smiley
July 29, 2016 01:01PM
I have never been to your beaches, but would recommend the Excall or CZ for the descrimination abilities. A beginner would get very frustrated starting out with a PI machine and digging so much trash. Also if he finds he loves water hunting there is no need to upgrade to a better machine later on. Plus if he finds he hates water hunting he will have no problem selling either machine for a fair price. The PI machine is great in an area with very little iron and modern trash. They are a dig everything machine so can be very site dependent as to where to use them. They are capable of finding deeper targets than the Excall or CZ. Just remember, however, a PI machine will not air test a target very deep, but in the mineralized soil, the more mineralization your beach has the deeper the PI hits on items. If you have no mineralization (black sand) on your beaches, such as Miami, then the PI offers no real advantage over the descriminating machines. If cost is the main factor, then buy a used unit an you can save almost half the cost up front and resale later for about the same price....Stuart
July 29, 2016 01:29PM
I am aware that its not a machine that is on your original list,but still one of the all time favourite machines is the Minelab Sovereign,if all it is being used is one tide edge then that will do very well as its not a diving detector but for the wet sand they are a very hard act too follow.
July 30, 2016 02:58AM
Thank you all so much Guys - Great solid advice of which I will pass on - This is exactly why i look up to you all - Now I feel like i need to shout you all a Beer -

Cheers smileys with beer

Vincent

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
July 31, 2016 08:42AM
I have to echo what the others mentioned on utilising a machine with some sort of discrimination vs a PI digging everything. I started off using a pulse induction Garrett Infinium (close cousin to the Sea Hunter) which proved to have excellent depth capabilty, though a lot of wasted time was spent digging an assortment of junk targets when I could have been leaving them in the sand. Can't recall the ridiculous amount of bobby pins and tent pegs I'd dug with that machine, not to mention some of the huge holes that were needed to recover them. Ensure he gets a strong stainless beach scoop if using a PI detector, he will need it.

As I wasn't hitting the water, mainly wet tidal flats and dry sand, a multi frequency detector proved to be a more sensible choice for me (explorer/etrac). Less frustration, less junk, more time to cover ground between tides, and improved recovery rate of desirable targets. They are also no slouches when it comes to depth capability either, and much more preferable over a VLF which will struggle for depth on the wet sand.

As you are also thinking about hitting the water, the Excalibur would obviously be more suitable. Both the Minelab Excalibur and Sovereign are very popular and proven beach detectors here in Oz (Excalibur is essentially a waterproofed BBS Sovereign). If you ever require warranty work, at least Minelab are only just across the ditch vs having to send a US unit halfway around the world.
July 31, 2016 05:59PM
Whites TDI Pro--depth king on salt beach.