Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Lightning safety

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Lightning safety
July 28, 2016 07:06PM
Again,,this time fo the year,,lightning can be exist and can be dangerous.

Common sense needs to rule the day here to prevent serious injury or death.

Lightning,,,the way it works,,,there are some tendencies it has that can put a person more at odds of being struck.

Avoid open places,,,avoid isolated taller trees,,,if trapped outside and a person cannot seek shelter,,,try to go to lower terrain.

You will see where experts state,,if you can hear thunder you could be in range of being actually stuck by lightning,,,I am not so sure I would go that far,,but many folks do put their lives at risks,,,because they don't see any lightning close or even any clouds overhead.

Not seeing any clouds overhead,,,this is a poor calculation for folks,,why???

Lightning doesn't always when it strikes,,to move directly vertical,from above,,,very possible for example the the cloud to be as far away in a horizontal direction say 7 miles away,,,and a person could be struck because of the path the lightning takes.

Also,,drier air seems lightning thrives in moreso,,,so the leading edge of a storm,,,needs ultra respect.

Stay away from talking on hard wired phones,,computers,,even taking showers and baths,,cooking,,using the restroom.

Metal fences can conduct electricity from a lightning strike so watch those.

Swimming pools too should be avoided.

Remember,,,too lightning does have to strike somewhere first,,,so just because you haven't seen lightning or heard thunder,,,doesn't mean your situation doenw't require commonsense action.

Be safe out there and happy detecting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2016 07:22PM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Lightning safety
July 29, 2016 12:54AM
Swinging a piece of metal in front of you doesn't help either...after a good electrical storm time to find the ones others missed as I believe the ground gets charged...
July 29, 2016 01:11AM
With all the snakes and lighting, mabee I betteer stay home.
July 29, 2016 01:33AM
Hobo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> With all the snakes and lighting, mabee I betteer
> stay home.

grinning smileyGood one Darrell.
July 30, 2016 05:51PM