Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Check out this coin,,,before and after.

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Check out this coin,,,before and after.
August 19, 2016 07:05PM
[metaldetectingforum.com]

[metaldetectingforum.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2016 07:07PM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Check out this coin,,,before and after.
August 19, 2016 08:00PM
Looks better before it was cleaned it seems to have lost some detail
August 19, 2016 08:05PM
messed it up

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
August 19, 2016 08:38PM
Sure screwed up the nice patina. I hope he likes it now. LOL

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
August 19, 2016 08:59PM
Great find.

To each their own, he obviously thinks he improved the coin. But the before and after makes me cringe.
August 19, 2016 09:12PM
It's probably just because it's oiled and dark. You can still see green. I don't think it needed a peroxide bath though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2016 09:14PM by bespride.
August 19, 2016 09:58PM
Club member who is a coin dealer always said if you find a coin....let the cleaning to the pro's as usually worth more as dug....nuff said I guess....
August 19, 2016 10:43PM
Should have soaked it in olive oil for weeks or months. The coin now has a processed look that is unattractive.
August 25, 2016 08:39AM
Not sure what the monetary value of a coin like that is worth,but its a shame its been cleaned like that,of course its upto the finder who can do what ever he likes with the coin/find but its often preferred to keep them in the original condition they cam out the ground,also coin collectors/dealers also like them like that as well.

Its a stunning find,well done.
August 25, 2016 08:55AM
I wash and lightly clean my silver but not my coppers as it soo easy to wipe out the detail.