Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

MXT Testing,

Posted by auminesweeper 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
MXT Testing,
August 20, 2016 09:38AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Your MXT must be specially hot. The two I had, I
> had a 4x6, 5.3, and 13" ultimate coil for. I also
> have several picker gold nuggets weighing 5 to 5.5
> grn, with the biggest being 13 grn that I've found
> panning and sluicing. The MXT wouldn't pick up
> any of the smaller ones unless you basically
> scrubbed them with the coil with any of those
> coils. I might have gotten 1.5 inches at the most.
> The only one it really responded to was the 13
> grain one but it is nearly 3x the size of the
> others. The Relic on the other hand...those same
> small nuggets were more like 4 to 5 inches with
> the stock coil. I never tried them with the small
> coil though. 5 grn basically amounts to .32 grams.
> In gold, that is approx the size of an apple
> seed. For small stuff like birdshot size
> stuff...I've never seen a detector more sensitive
> than the Relic. That is why I didn't like mine.

Ok, well you must be either running your SAT too High and Turning down the Gain Too Much

Air Testing Using 10" DD

On a US Quarter in the Prospecting Mode,,, I get up to 19 to 21+ depending EMI
In RELIC I get 15 to 19"

Prospecting Mode, On A Zippo Lighter 34 to 36"
Relic Mode 30 to 34 Inches.

Air Testing Prospecting Mode, Using the 5.3. Using Lead Nuggets. Non of these bits are flat, If I flatten them then the distance increases

One Target UN-Weighable 1/4" to 3/8" .

0.006 gram OR 0.00019 ozt OR 0.091 grains = 1 " to 1.5"

0.010 gram OR 0.18 grain =2"

0.033 grams OR 0.50 grains = 3 to 4"

0.091 grams OR 1.43 grains = 3 to 4"

If you can't get these distances then that might be more related to how you are using it .

John.
Re: MXT Testing,
August 20, 2016 10:07AM
All these stunning figures on minuscule items in air tests are all well and good and yes i am aware of the actual environment that you carry these tests out in,the MXT is a top flight machine and i guess no one is sying other wise,but i can only speak for myself and no one else but i just dont hunt for ultra small grains of what ever,most of my detecting is done as you are aware on ploughed and rolled and deep pasture for the most parts everyday coins and deep artifact and hoards.

We dont have microscopic small gold particles here in the UK,cut halves and 1/4 hammered coins,1/4 staters and rose farthings are very small and about the average small item that us folks in the UK would be after and not 0.000 or what ever grams of gold,as you are aware that i do have some very deep heavy hitters as i call them that i use for deep pasture work when after artifacts and hoards,but i also have a few machines that are setup for smaller targets as well,mainly i guess in small coil sizes like my 5'' coil on the T2 and 5.3 on the DFX,but these machines are setup for more trashy roman/saxon sites and getting in between stubble rows and not for minuscule gold nuggets.

Of course i can only speak for how i use my machines on my permissions and the main targets that are either common here in the UK or specific targets like large artifacts or hoards,if i or folks generally detected full time in say Aussie land or Nevada for just gold nuggets then a MXT or prehaps a other brand or a specific dedicated nugget machine would be the right tool for the job,folks do and can have options of other machines,this maybe that they are within the person tight budget,easy of use,good general all round performance and many other things.

The MXT maybe the No1 general all round machine on the planet,but not all folks think the same way,and of course we all use what we think is the right machine for them and if some folks enjoy using a Garrett,Nokta or any other brand then that is upto the individual.

These are of course just my personal views and nothing else,with me its all about getting out and enjoying this great hobby of hours and using what machines we like.
August 20, 2016 11:05AM
I think people are missing the whole point of my post.

The Depth or the distance is Null and Void because it all changes when they are in the Ground,

What Is Important is the fact that it can see them, Not the Depth,

The Next Issue is the way people use the MXT and the GMT, I watched a Video of a Guy using one and thought what the heck is he doing and then I realized what he was doing and it is So obvious it's not funny because I realized he was doing what I do,.
August 20, 2016 12:35PM
These detection distance figures are very impressive for such a large (10 inch) coil. I'm curious how different they would be for a smaller coil, say 5 inch.
I'm tempted to make a series of tiny lead targets for test purposes. I would prefer to use electronics solder, due to ease of melting into blob shape, but I'll see what sucess I have with plain lead. (I don't have an MXT, I'm just curious...)
August 20, 2016 01:02PM
My gold pieces are flat from having been washed/worn by water over the centuries. Like I said, mine are 5 grains....not .5 or .05 grains. 5 full grains and one being 13 grains. I've had the regular MXT and MXT Pro. I'm pretty sure I know how to set SAT on a metal detector though; particularly for hot red dirt as that is all I have here. If the SAT isn't set correctly for hot dirt, you are going to know it pretty quickly.

I can only think of a few other possibilities to why my results differ greatly from yours. #1. When I sold most of my gold, they tested it to see what karat quality it was. Mine came out to being 22 karat average. They gave me more for it than what the spot price was because they said it was purer than what they normally buy from people. I can't help but think that might be one of the possibilities; maybe the higher quality the gold, the harder it is for a detector to pick up? Just a guess. I don't have any lesser quality gold nor an MXT to experiment with now anyway.
August 20, 2016 01:13PM
Pimento Wrote:
> These detection distance figures are very
> impressive for such a large (10 inch) coil. I'm
> curious how different they would be for a smaller
> coil, say 5 inch.
> I'm tempted to make a series of tiny lead targets
> for test purposes. I would prefer to use
> electronics solder, due to ease of melting into
> blob shape, but I'll see what sucess I have with
> plain lead. (I don't have an MXT, I'm just
> curious...)

The section where all the Tiny weights are listed were measured using the 5.3 coil which is a 6 inch concentric coil, On larger objects it will still see them at a fair distance.

John.
August 20, 2016 02:24PM
OK, missed that detail, sorry.
I've just had a quick go at making some lead nuggets, will take them into work to weigh them on Monday.
August 20, 2016 02:43PM
Pimento Wrote:
> OK, missed that detail, sorry.
> I've just had a quick go at making some lead
> nuggets, will take them into work to weigh them on
> Monday.

The reason for such tests is because here we have coins that are about 5 to 6 mm across all the way up to 32mm across, So I was working out what is the absolute minimum that the coils can see and which coil could see the smallest Items, Because those tiny coins are extremely rare and very hard to find, So to give a person the best chance possible such tests are needed.

Knowing what my chances are is just the starting point, different coils will see them but not at depth or not hit as hard on them,

John.
August 20, 2016 04:58PM
I know, I'm in the U.K.
But your test targets are representative of nuggets, and very small ones at that, and aren't a realistic approximation of any hammered coin, cut quarter pennies, or smaller ones etc.
August 20, 2016 05:26PM
Pimento Wrote:
> I know, I'm in the U.K.
> But your test targets are representative of
> nuggets, and very small ones at that, and aren't a
> realistic approximation of any hammered coin, cut
> quarter pennies, or smaller ones etc.

Like I said, the whole point of it was to find out which coils are the most sensitive, Now that relates to them seeing Hammered coins at a Greater distance,

So as far as hammered cut halfs are concerned it will see them at huge distances using the factory standard Coil,

Like I said it was a Sensitivity Test, Not a depth test. Because some machines won't see them past 6" even in an Air Test so they have got no chance of seeing them in the Ground past 2-3 maybe 4 inches.
August 21, 2016 10:36AM
While your lead targets have some practical benefits -they're cheap and easy to make, anyone could reproduce them and compare tests, they are also not representative of the targets you are trying to find.
A possible 'better' alternative is aluminium cut from the mid-section of drinks cans. They are thin sheet form, and the conductivity of the aluminium is not unlike that of a dugup hammered. The topic came up in a thread over on the Geotech1 forum. There are some variations in wall thickness, but the vast majority are 0.095mm to 0.105mm, so it should be possible to find a can with these characteristics. The alloy used seems very consistent, too. Something like a 7mm x 7mm square is not too far off a cut quarter, as a starting point.
August 21, 2016 11:38AM
Pimento Wrote:
> While your lead targets have some practical
> benefits -they're cheap and easy to make, anyone
> could reproduce them and compare tests, they are
> also not representative of the targets you are
> trying to find.
> A possible 'better' alternative is aluminium cut
> from the mid-section of drinks cans. They are thin
> sheet form, and the conductivity of the aluminium
> is not unlike that of a dugup hammered. The topic
> came up in a thread over on the Geotech1 forum.
> There are some variations in wall thickness, but
> the vast majority are 0.095mm to 0.105mm, so it
> should be possible to find a can with these
> characteristics. The alloy used seems very
> consistent, too. Something like a 7mm x 7mm square
> is not too far off a cut quarter, as a starting
> point.

Ok, I will say it again,, The Idea of the Tests was to find how smaller the targets can be for each Coil I tested, I don't have to replicate Hammered Coins, Because Nuggets are the hardest things to detect, So If the Coils can see them then they will surely find hammered Coins,

All the Coil will see the Nuggets but Only One Coil Stands out from the Rest, As for seeing Cut Halfs then All the Coils will see them But 2 Coils have the best results with The most sensitive Coil being close to the coils that had the best results.
August 21, 2016 01:56PM
I don't want to argue, but I don't really agree with your ideas. Roughly speaking, for best depth, you should be matching detector operating frequency to the 'target frequency'. 'Target frequency' is also known as: -3dB frequency, Corner frequency. For some approx. examples: Big U.S Silver Dollar = 1 KHz. Hammered penny/ringpull/ U.K 10p = 15 KHz, cut quarter penny = 25 kHz, fly sh!t gold nuggets 50 - 200 KHz. So if you were specifically looking for tiny nuggets, your machine of choice is likely to have 50 KHz+ operating frequency. Examples in real life include the Fisher GoldBug2 (72 KHz), Makro Gold Racer (56KHz). These will easily find your tiny lead targets, but that doesn't make them best on cut quarters/halves, something a bit more modest in the 15 - 25 KHz range would suit. Such as the XP 'Hammy Hoover' GoldMaxxPower (18 KHz), your 14 kHz MXT, the 19 KHz G2 (and it's cousins) etc etc.

As you don't have the option of changing the frequency of your MXT (and it's pretty much ideal anyway), the only way to enhance sensitivity (in air) to tiny targets is to increase the overall gain/sensitivity of the machine. It would appear that the MXT has such ability. But it's of dubious worth in real life, as achievable target depth is determined by the ground signal, and having lots of gain doesn't get you anywhere. It just increases the strength of the target signal and the ground signal by the same amount, and your machine still can't determine what's what. That's why machines don't generally air-test massively 'deeper' than they go in mild ground. The designers know ther's no point.
August 21, 2016 04:49PM
Pimento Wrote:
> I don't want to argue, but I don't really agree
> with your ideas. Roughly speaking, for best depth,
> you should be matching detector operating
> frequency to the 'target frequency'. 'Target
> frequency' is also known as: -3dB frequency,
> Corner frequency. For some approx. examples: Big
> U.S Silver Dollar = 1 KHz. Hammered
> penny/ringpull/ U.K 10p = 15 KHz, cut quarter
> penny = 25 kHz, fly sh!t gold nuggets 50 - 200
> KHz. So if you were specifically looking for tiny
> nuggets, your machine of choice is likely to have
> 50 KHz+ operating frequency. Examples in real life
> include the Fisher GoldBug2 (72 KHz), Makro Gold
> Racer (56KHz). These will easily find your tiny
> lead targets, but that doesn't make them best on
> cut quarters/halves, something a bit more modest
> in the 15 - 25 KHz range would suit. Such as the
> XP 'Hammy Hoover' GoldMaxxPower (18 KHz), your 14
> kHz MXT, the 19 KHz G2 (and it's cousins) etc
> etc.
>
> As you don't have the option of changing the
> frequency of your MXT (and it's pretty much ideal
> anyway), the only way to enhance sensitivity (in
> air) to tiny targets is to increase the overall
> gain/sensitivity of the machine. It would appear
> that the MXT has such ability. But it's of dubious
> worth in real life, as achievable target depth is
> determined by the ground signal, and having lots
> of gain doesn't get you anywhere. It just
> increases the strength of the target signal and
> the ground signal by the same amount, and your
> machine still can't determine what's what. That's
> why machines don't generally air-test massively
> 'deeper' than they go in mild ground. The
> designers know ther's no point.

I already Own an LF machine, and VLF's and PI's, But that is not the point, I wanted to know how far one machines Coils could go in to Finding small targets, I know it can see big things like modern Coins and bomb fragments and Plough Blades and medieval and Roman Coins But as to which Coil is the hottest on them or tiny items such as Nuggets and Micro jewellery and medieval /Celtic coins Is a totally different thing, So if those hard to find items then it only makes sense to make the tests as difficult as possible on the machine and then look for a way to over come any such problems, Leaving your testing to when you go out in the field is a waste of time because you could well be walking over targets or valued items, When you go out in the field that is the one time you need to know what your doing.

The MXT will tell you If you are using too much Gain in 2 different ways, Where other Folks chop and change machines, I decided to specialize with one machine And I sold all my other machines, and focused on just one Unit because I did not want to water down my knowledge by using other Machines, To Date, I have never been Skunked and I have always found what I have wanted to find, Along with a Roman Villa and a Roman Military Encampment,

You can use the MXT to Beep and Dig or you can use the info it tells you to map out what is going on in the Ground, You see the MXT as a Detector, I see it as a Resource to Gain Information, If there was another machine that could tell me what I want to know then I would buy it
August 21, 2016 05:21PM
auminesweeper Wrote:
> Pimento Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I don't want to argue, but I don't really agree
> > with your ideas. Roughly speaking, for best
> depth,
> > you should be matching detector operating
> > frequency to the 'target frequency'. 'Target
> > frequency' is also known as: -3dB frequency,
> > Corner frequency. For some approx. examples:
> Big
> > U.S Silver Dollar = 1 KHz. Hammered
> > penny/ringpull/ U.K 10p = 15 KHz, cut quarter
> > penny = 25 kHz, fly sh!t gold nuggets 50 - 200
> > KHz. So if you were specifically looking for
> tiny
> > nuggets, your machine of choice is likely to
> have
> > 50 KHz+ operating frequency. Examples in real
> life
> > include the Fisher GoldBug2 (72 KHz), Makro
> Gold
> > Racer (56KHz). These will easily find your tiny
> > lead targets, but that doesn't make them best
> on
> > cut quarters/halves, something a bit more
> modest
> > in the 15 - 25 KHz range would suit. Such as
> the
> > XP 'Hammy Hoover' GoldMaxxPower (18 KHz), your
> 14
> > kHz MXT, the 19 KHz G2 (and it's cousins) etc
> > etc.
> >
> > As you don't have the option of changing the
> > frequency of your MXT (and it's pretty much
> ideal
> > anyway), the only way to enhance sensitivity
> (in
> > air) to tiny targets is to increase the overall
> > gain/sensitivity of the machine. It would
> appear
> > that the MXT has such ability. But it's of
> dubious
> > worth in real life, as achievable target depth
> is
> > determined by the ground signal, and having
> lots
> > of gain doesn't get you anywhere. It just
> > increases the strength of the target signal and
> > the ground signal by the same amount, and your
> > machine still can't determine what's what.
> That's
> > why machines don't generally air-test massively
> > 'deeper' than they go in mild ground. The
> > designers know ther's no point.
>
> I already Own an LF machine, and VLF's and PI's,
> But that is not the point, I wanted to know how
> far one machines Coils could go in to Finding
> small targets, I know it can see big things like
> modern Coins and bomb fragments and Plough Blades
> and medieval and Roman Coins But as to which Coil
> is the hottest on them or tiny items such as
> Nuggets and Micro jewellery and medieval /Celtic
> coins Is a totally different thing, So if those
> hard to find items then it only makes sense to
> make the tests as difficult as possible on the
> machine and then look for a way to over come any
> such problems, Leaving your testing to when you go
> out in the field is a waste of time because you
> could well be walking over targets or valued
> items, When you go out in the field that is the
> one time you need to know what your doing.
>
> The MXT will tell you If you are using too much
> Gain in 2 different ways, Where other Folks chop
> and change machines, I decided to specialize with
> one machine And I sold all my other machines, and
> focused on just one Unit because I did not want to
> water down my knowledge by using other Machines,
> To Date, I have never been Skunked and I have
> always found what I have wanted to find, Along
> with a Roman Villa and a Roman Military
> Encampment,
>
> You can use the MXT to Beep and Dig or you can use
> the info it tells you to map out what is going on
> in the Ground, You see the MXT as a Detector, I
> see it as a Resource to Gain Information, If there
> was another machine that could tell me what I want
> to know then I would buy it

I find your post here confusing to say the least.

You say you own other detectors,,,,and say you sold all but MXT,,so you wouldn't water down your knowledge.

I have a question,,,,just how are you ever going to know when this next (resource to gain information) ever is marketed and available to purchase???

I mean it seems you are hinting it takes a long time to actually get all out of a detector,,,,so who or how will you know when a better than say MXT comes to light???

I see really you have only a few options.

1. Get lucky and blindly buy the unit

2. Read reviews, comments, and videos and base your purchase decisions

I don't think owning and running multiple detectors,,,this would water down knowledge,,,actually the reverse.

I think it is possible to actually because of what one detectors does,,,could actually make a person be more proficient with even another detector.

I know running multiple detectors ( each with their own strengths and weaknesses) has helped me more with the BIG picture when it comes to detecting.

"Never been skunked",,, this term can have several meanings when it comes to detecting.
I have been skunked more than once,,,meaning I've found nothing I would ever really discuss with anyone-- just junk.

I wish you well with your MXT btw.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2016 05:30PM by tnsharpshooter.
August 21, 2016 06:22PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> auminesweeper Wrote:
> -----
> > Pimento Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > I don't want to argue, but I don't really
> agree
> > > with your ideas. Roughly speaking, for best
> > depth,
> > > you should be matching detector operating
> > > frequency to the 'target frequency'. 'Target
> > > frequency' is also known as: -3dB frequency,
> > > Corner frequency. For some approx. examples:
> > Big
> > > U.S Silver Dollar = 1 KHz. Hammered
> > > penny/ringpull/ U.K 10p = 15 KHz, cut quarter
> > > penny = 25 kHz, fly sh!t gold nuggets 50 -
> 200
> > > KHz. So if you were specifically looking for
> > tiny
> > > nuggets, your machine of choice is likely to
> > have
> > > 50 KHz+ operating frequency. Examples in real
> > life
> > > include the Fisher GoldBug2 (72 KHz), Makro
> > Gold
> > > Racer (56KHz). These will easily find your
> tiny
> > > lead targets, but that doesn't make them best
> > on
> > > cut quarters/halves, something a bit more
> > modest
> > > in the 15 - 25 KHz range would suit. Such as
> > the
> > > XP 'Hammy Hoover' GoldMaxxPower (18 KHz),
> your
> > 14
> > > kHz MXT, the 19 KHz G2 (and it's cousins)
> etc
> > > etc.
> > >
> > > As you don't have the option of changing the
> > > frequency of your MXT (and it's pretty much
> > ideal
> > > anyway), the only way to enhance sensitivity
> > (in
> > > air) to tiny targets is to increase the
> overall
> > > gain/sensitivity of the machine. It would
> > appear
> > > that the MXT has such ability. But it's of
> > dubious
> > > worth in real life, as achievable target
> depth
> > is
> > > determined by the ground signal, and having
> > lots
> > > of gain doesn't get you anywhere. It just
> > > increases the strength of the target signal
> and
> > > the ground signal by the same amount, and
> your
> > > machine still can't determine what's what.
> > That's
> > > why machines don't generally air-test
> massively
> > > 'deeper' than they go in mild ground. The
> > > designers know ther's no point.
> >
> > I already Own an LF machine, and VLF's and PI's,
>
> > But that is not the point, I wanted to know how
> > far one machines Coils could go in to Finding
> > small targets, I know it can see big things
> like
> > modern Coins and bomb fragments and Plough
> Blades
> > and medieval and Roman Coins But as to which
> Coil
> > is the hottest on them or tiny items such as
> > Nuggets and Micro jewellery and medieval
> /Celtic
> > coins Is a totally different thing, So if those
> > hard to find items then it only makes sense to
> > make the tests as difficult as possible on the
> > machine and then look for a way to over come
> any
> > such problems, Leaving your testing to when you
> go
> > out in the field is a waste of time because you
> > could well be walking over targets or valued
> > items, When you go out in the field that is the
> > one time you need to know what your doing.
> >
> > The MXT will tell you If you are using too much
> > Gain in 2 different ways, Where other Folks
> chop
> > and change machines, I decided to specialize
> with
> > one machine And I sold all my other machines,
> and
> > focused on just one Unit because I did not want
> to
> > water down my knowledge by using other
> Machines,
> > To Date, I have never been Skunked and I have
> > always found what I have wanted to find, Along
> > with a Roman Villa and a Roman Military
> > Encampment,
> >
> > You can use the MXT to Beep and Dig or you can
> use
> > the info it tells you to map out what is going
> on
> > in the Ground, You see the MXT as a Detector,
> I
> > see it as a Resource to Gain Information, If
> there
> > was another machine that could tell me what I
> want
> > to know then I would buy it
>
>
> I find your post here confusing to say the least.
>
> You say you own other detectors,,,,and say you
> sold all but MXT,,so you wouldn't water down your
> knowledge.
Yep I owned about 4 ML machines and a Tesoro and about 4 others, So I sold them when I bought the first MXT 300 and then I bought another MXT (Pro) and a GMT and when those machines went out of warranty I replaced them with newer ones.
>
> I have a question,,,,just how are you ever going
> to know when this next (resource to gain
> information) ever is marketed and available to
> purchase???
The same way we all do, It does not take long for word to get around and videos along with reviews by Trusted People, Just because I have stayed with one machine does not mean that I am blind as to what is going on in the detecting world, I am very much interested in other machines
>
> I mean it seems you are hinting it takes a long
> time to actually get all out of a detector,,,,so
> who or how will you know when a better than say
> MXT comes to light???
No I am not hinting at that at all, There is a difference in being at one with a Detector than testing it to extremes to find it's limit, If I had not though outside the box I would have never found the Gold I found, Most Folks get to a Junk filled Site and either make do with the Coil they have got or Fit a Smaller one, I watch others are doing and then I do the opposite.

> I see really you have only a few options.
>
> 1. Get lucky and blindly buy the unit
>
> 2. Read reviews, comments, and videos and base
> your purchase decisions
>
> I don't think owning and running multiple
> detectors,,,this would water down
> knowledge,,,actually the reverse.
Yeah that's fine if a person just wants to go detecting, But with me the Detectors hold my interest just as much as the finds do,

> I think it is possible to actually because of what
> one detectors does,,,could actually make a person
> be more proficient with even another detector.
Yes that's right, It has helped me understand or see things that I have never noticed before and find answers on the fly and it has also shown me Issues that I have had with Detectors that I have owned in the past and given me the answers to those problems, One mistake many folks have made including me is to try and run one detector like they have another, Although the basics are the same it is not hard to make a mistake and then give the detector a bad Rap

> I know running multiple detectors ( each with
> their own strengths and weaknesses) has helped me
> more with the BIG picture when it comes to
> detecting.
yeah and by doing that you are watering down your knowledge of one machine because of the time you spend on another, Taking longer to fully understand both machines, It's a bit like that saying Jack of all Trades master of None, In the past year I have bought 3 New Detectors, and 2 second hand machines, I have spent time testing them but I have not used them out in the field, 2 out of the 5 I have owned before but I have no urge to go out and use them as of yet

> I wish you well with your MXT btw.
August 21, 2016 08:19PM
Just a question about the MXT All Pro.

I've read the Relic mode is a dual mode audio, All/Metal and 2 tone at the same time.

When you trick the MXT into 7 tones in the Relic mode,... read about this also.
Is it still a Dual Mode All/Metal and 7 tones at the same time??

Just a question to know if I'm doing my homework wright.

HH
Johnb
August 21, 2016 08:40PM
scoopjohnb Wrote:
> Just a question about the MXT All Pro.
>
> I've read the Relic mode is a dual mode audio,
> All/Metal and 2 tone at the same time.
>
> When you trick the MXT into 7 tones in the Relic
> mode,... read about this also.
> Is it still a Dual Mode All/Metal and 7 tones at
> the same time??
>
> Just a question to know if I'm doing my homework
> wright.

Yes it does and when you do that you can max the Gain out as well. So you get Mixed mode Audio and 7 Tone ID and you can Max the Gain.

John.
August 21, 2016 09:18PM
Well, last night I had a bit of an insight.
Dry Beach hunting insight.

Foil is light and just above high tide mark it tends to wash up.
Gold likes to hide in the foil conductivity area.

Dry beaches are hit hard, BBS/FBS/PI for the wet sand, VLF for the dry sand.
But judging by the amount of old foil left behind, VLF users usually disc it out.

So just above high tide mark you've got an area with foil on top and gold and coins a little deeper in the influence of the Wet Sand.

My thinking and late night experiment.
Run my X-terra 705 with the 18,75 kHz in prospecting mode, get a signal, switch to disc and analyse.
It was a lot of hard work, but never has my Solid Object & Coin per hour ratio been this high.

A little more brain power added and well,... I need a dual mode discriminator,... I need an MXT ALL Pro with a 10" DD coil.

Time and weather permitting a further test-run will verify if a new Tector is feasable :-)

HH
Johnb
August 21, 2016 09:40PM
scoopjohnb Wrote:
> Well, last night I had a bit of an insight.
> Dry Beach hunting insight.
>
> Foil is light and just above high tide mark it
> tends to wash up.
> Gold likes to hide in the foil conductivity area.
>
> Dry beaches are hit hard, BBS/FBS/PI for the wet
> sand, VLF for the dry sand.
> But judging by the amount of old foil left behind,
> VLF users usually disc it out.
>
> So just above high tide mark you've got an area
> with foil on top and gold and coins a little
> deeper in the influence of the Wet Sand.
>
> My thinking and late night experiment.
> Run my X-terra 705 with the 18,75 kHz in
> prospecting mode, get a signal, switch to disc and
> analyse.
> It was a lot of hard work, but never has my Solid
> Object & Coin per hour ratio been this high.
>
> A little more brain power added and well,... I
> need a dual mode discriminator,... I need an MXT
> ALL Pro with a 10" DD coil.
>
> Time and weather permitting a further test-run
> will verify if a new Tector is feasable :-)

With the MXT's If you venture in the wet sand the Concentric Coils work better and the 12" coil should work deeper and it pin points really good, For some reason the MXT's and DD are not the best on the Beach, But the 950 and the 12" Concentric coils are very sensitive to Tiny bits and pull Tabs come up around 12 to 26 +/- so you can predict them 75/85% of the time.

John.
August 21, 2016 09:43PM
NT

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2016 01:12AM by ozzie.
August 21, 2016 10:27PM
The Next best machine for me was the Minelab Musketeer Advantage, But I traded that on the Sovereign GT, That was a big mistake Due to the fact it had a lightening recovery speed, Where the MXT is better is because it has a meter but the Mixed Mode Audio and the Tracking system, along with the Prospecting model and the amount of Coils that are Available, And it has about 4 X the battery Life.

I'm not held back when it comes to other machines, In fact because of what I know about the MXT made it easy for me to get to grips with the old Whites 5900 Di Pro (Blue Box) that I just bought and every thing on that is Manual. within 15 minutes I was up and running, So if anything it has made me quicker off the mark. I also prefer machines with Switches and knobs because they are 100% Variable and you have Direct access to what ever you want to adjust, Where as machines like the V3i, DFX and the CTX, Etrac etc are all menu based which you have to scroll through and because no two sites are the same they always leave you wondering if you had the right settings, With the MXT there is none of that you turn it on select your mode, Ground balance and your off and running, No scanning or Air Balancing, or TR and RX adjustments fast or slow deep or normal,

People think that the MXT only has 3 mode, But that is not right, Because in the Tracking mode you have 3 main modes with 7 sub modes, then flick to the salt mode and that gives you another 7 sub modes, Then you have a VCO based All Metal Non Motion mode when you push the trigger forward as well as the Squeeze Trigger Pin Point mode that when you are operating in the tracking mode it Halts the Tracking while you investigate a Target, So with that it has 16 sub modes / Modes all together. And the Mixed Mode Audio has a huge effect on Depth.

Most of you have seen the Whites Video where they compared it to the MXS well I can tell you for a fact that it will see a Quarter and Bleep between 12 to 13 inches +/- but if you put it in that Mixed Mode Audio It will alert you that there is something there up to 19 to 21 inches +/- depending which mode you are In, So don't write it off too soon because they are a very clever machine.

There is so much more going on with the MXT than people give it credit for, Along with it's other features, It is no Accident that it has survived all these years,

Hope that explains things a bit better.

John.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2016 10:40PM by auminesweeper.
August 21, 2016 11:06PM
Well----The MXT is certainly a "classic" and has lasted the test of time (and for very good reasons).------Thank you Dave J!!!
August 21, 2016 11:10PM
I think Dave J has made at leased 44 machines that have there place in History, And no doubt there are more to come, Great Man and even a Greater Engineer.

John.
August 22, 2016 06:13AM
> With the MXT's If you venture in the wet sand the
> Concentric Coils work better and the 12" coil
> should work deeper and it pin points really good,
> For some reason the MXT's and DD are not the best
> on the Beach, But the 950 and the 12" Concentric
> coils are very sensitive to Tiny bits and pull
> Tabs come up around 12 to 26 +/- so you can
> predict them 75/85% of the time.
>
> John.

I'm not interested in Wet Sand capability with a single frequency VLF. I've tried it with a number of machines and the results are always the same.
Mediocre depth on high conductors, poor to no depth on low conductors.

My FBS/2, BBS machines are the recon units. Find a patch containing old coinage,... hit it next tide out with a PI and sturdy digger.
With all the metric tonnes of sand they reinforced our beaches with,... I'm on recon all of the time.
6 ring days are in the past,... coverage after a busy weekend is my main weapon.

No with single frequency at the beach my attention is focused on dry sand and now particularly that trashy foily strip above high tide mark.

HH
Johnb