Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

your view on detecting footwear?

Posted by ncwayne 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
your view on detecting footwear?
September 21, 2016 01:24PM
Now for something a little different...at least I don't remember seeing anything on this topic previously.

Some shoes and boots have metal in them. Some don't. Presently, when I want to avoid metal in my footwear, I use Muck boots. Definitely needed when lugging the GPX, but also helpful with the Relic, Racer, and MX Sport.
When I don't want to wear the all-rubber, I have Duluth Trading Wild Boar shoes and boots. They are super light and comfortable, but they have some metal in them and I do occasionally get a signal from them. I do not wear them when using the GPX; that won't work.

So what I want to know is this: Do you TRY to avoid metal in your detecting footwear, or do you just wear whatever you like and take the "false" footwear related signals in stride? (double entendre not intentional)

If you try to avoid metal in your footwear, what brands and styles of shoes and boots do you favor and why?

Thanks for your responses.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
Re: your view on detecting footwear?
September 21, 2016 02:01PM
Wayne,

I have a couple of pairs of boots with no metal. When not swinging the Relic, I'm swinging a GPX and it is mandatory to not have metal in your boots with the GPX!
I have a pair of Keen's with no metal at all and I really like them for a lace up hiking boot. Very comfortable. I've also got a pair of Sketchers (yes, Sketchers) pull on leather boots with no metal. Can't find them in any store. Using them more and more as they are constructed really well and are only 50 some odd bucks off Amazon. Can't stand detecting my boots! No metal is a must.

Dean
September 21, 2016 02:07PM
During the summer i use a walking/hiking boot that has no metal in and during the winter i use Muck boots as well,also agree about a Pulse picking up any metal that is close too the coil,when using a bigger than stock coil i even have to keep the spade as far away from the TDI as possible other wise it can still pick that up.
September 21, 2016 03:39PM
here's what I use 80% of the time..

[www.academy.com]

Then for snake safety I use these

[www.academy.com]

anywhere else

Sneakers ...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
September 21, 2016 03:54PM
I like the Ariat Workhog H2O boot. I got them for farming because I got tired of the rubber/neoprene of my Mucks rubbing me raw on the calves of my legs, and Mucks SUCK at walking long distances in...especially up and down big hills and ridges. The Muck boot is great for the namesake though; mucky mud, swampy areas, etc. But they are sock eaters, and always sweated my feet too. My wife worked at a Muck dealership and I got them for her cost on them so I've had several pair of them over the years. Anyway, once I got a pair of the Ariat's and started wearing them while feeding and tending to my animals, I was like "man these things are comfortable to walk in". So they became my metal detecting boots too. The GPX didn't pick them up and that was my main machine. The downside to them is they are hot in the summer. I have been eyeballing a pair of boots similar to what the military wears, but I think they aren't metal free. I don't think it would pose too big of a problem with a VLF machine though and would give good ankle support for loose rock, climbing up/down hills, etc.
September 21, 2016 08:51PM
Crossfit shoes for normal detecting in parks and light brush. Bates boots for all other. Most Bates have no metal in them. I use the ones I purchased for use at my former job as a Corrections Officer.
September 21, 2016 10:03PM
Since I hunt 99% of the time on the beach is crocs or neoprene dive boots...no metal.

Nox600, CTX, CZ21, Excal II and White's DF with 920i stealthscoop...I live and hunt at the beach in Wilm NCsmiling smiley
September 21, 2016 11:47PM
I use to buy Wolverines, no metal in them and very lite. They have changed over the years and I can't get that model any more. I'm back to buying Red Wings with metal and I just lengthen the detector rod as to not pick up the dam boot metal....PITA, lol
September 22, 2016 08:55AM
I've spent a fortune thru the years on detecting footwear!

I tend to suit the site! For fresh cut barley stubble an old pair of Timberlands ( original design )
For wet grass & muddy good old fashioned "Wellingtons" and salt wet sand.

For 'mixed dry' i.e. woods, I favor "Rocky" boots.

Dry beach sand 'Nu Buck Lghtweight Timberlands boots.

Have been at many UK rallies and it always amused me to see so many wearing 'sneakers!'

I always remember going to see Willie Nelson for the first time in Hyannis Dome on Cape Cod.
Expecting him to come on stage in 'fancy dan' cowboy boots, I was stunned to see him wearing a very old pair of faded blue sneakers!
I'd say after 'treading the boards' in every town in every state for 50 years he knows it's all down to Comfort.

Could apply to us as well?"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2016 09:03AM by Des D.
September 22, 2016 01:03PM
For snake ridden areas,,,stove pipes on my legs. Lol

Seriously in snake areas,, a decent not to tall boot,,,a good quality snake leggin or gaiter will do,,,that comes in below the knees will do,,,,can be removed occassionally during rest breaks to let some air circulate.

Steel toes obviously a no no.

[www.forestry-suppliers.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2016 01:08PM by tnsharpshooter.
September 22, 2016 01:12PM
I wear tennis shoes. I don't get too crazy in my adventures.
September 22, 2016 02:24PM
All depends on the area hunted...sometimes heavy high boots and a pair of sneakers for your local park. In any case no metal in what you wear...
September 22, 2016 10:32PM
I get a lot of weird looks and sometimes a comment or two but for the last 5 years or so I haven't worn anything except Five Fingers (toe shoes). I wear them every day, detecting or not. I used to have problems with my knees and lower back. Someone, I don't remember who, recommended them to me so I gave them a shot. I grew up barefoot and that's pretty much what you get from these only you don't have to worry as much about getting cut or a stone bruise. Having said all that I did have to add kick pads to the shovels I use when digging deep targets.

I've never been too worried about what others think. I also don't have knee problems at all anymore and they have helped some with the lower back issues so the looks and comments don't even make a dent.
September 23, 2016 12:05AM
Comfort and durability, Merrell low hikers for parks and Merrell mid hikers for woods. HH jim tn
September 23, 2016 12:38AM
Funny thing.....all this foot ware mentioned...I've never heard of.....and I have searched constantly for comfort, because of my job.... and how debilitating it is on my feet.

Toe shoes? Interesting.
September 23, 2016 02:01AM
thumbs down on the Bates boots pictured.

Durable, comfortable, light, waterproof and non-metallic. Extra toe protection too, although not as much as steel toe boots.

I do a ton of walking and other physical activity with my work and then there's detecting and life in general to boot. My main boots generally don't make it a full year, but the Bates Enforcers I bought last October are still going strong. Moderate wear on the sole and uppers, minimal wear on the heels. I think I'll get at least several more months of use from them. I have another newer pair I bought earlier this year that I wear for when I'm not working or detecting. I wouldn't wear them to a wedding or a funeral, but for just about everywhere else I go I think they look good.

The price goes up and down on Amazon, but both time I've gotten them they were right around $70.
September 23, 2016 02:19AM
Bates are AWESOME..And comfortable

I have the zip sides and they have never even got hung up ..

a pair will last me 2 years of hard hunting..

non metallic too!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
September 23, 2016 02:42AM
If I'm mimicking Keith Southern without even realizing it, my detecting instincts must be improving.grinning smiley
just received new boots for detecting; waterproof and no metal...
April 12, 2017 02:15PM
Just opened the box this morning and wearing in the house right now. First thing I did was check them with the Nokta Relic. No metal. No response. Supposed to be waterproof.
I don't like laces and I typically prefer the comfort of a shorter boot, though I was strongly tempted to try the Bates lace-up, side zippered boots. Then I found these and thought I'd give them a try. Might still get a pair of the Bates just to see if I like them. A man can't have too many pairs of boots, right?

These are the boots I just received: [www.amazon.com]

I'll make a follow-up report on them after I've detected in them and tested their waterproof claim, but in case someone decides to try them, I suggest you order the higher side of your size range. I typically wear a 10 1/2 (US) shoe, but all my boots are 11s. Thank goodness I ordered the 11 in this boot because these boots were a TIGHT fit slipping them on, which should loosen up as the boots break in. These boots do offer a wide (EE) style which I also chose as some boots and shoes in standard width are too tight for me.

I've been wearing a pair of Skechers:

[www.amazon.com]

that Dean (bado1) recommended, and I like them, but they are not waterproof and my feet got soaked a couple weeks ago at DIV 36 where the fields had a wet ground cover 4 to 6 inches high.

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

April 12, 2017 02:31PM
I've always been a Trainer man myself even though of gone through a good many over the years, I did a video a while back on composite boots compared to steel capped ones..... Here [youtu.be]
April 12, 2017 04:08PM
Good Ole' Sears Die hards. Same Boots I wore to work for Years. Back in the day they had the Lighter Spice work boots they don't make anymore that was a fave of My Dad also as lighter. Sure hope Sears can hang in there as be a shame if they totally went out of Business.
Had a Sears Credit card for Years like My Dad did.
And No steel toe as never had them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2017 04:09PM by Harold,ILL..
April 13, 2017 10:06PM
Nice!!

keith

-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2017 10:07PM by Keith Southern.
April 14, 2017 12:40AM
I am open to suggestions.

I'm always in the sand, and sand is always in my shoes.
Any suggestions on what to wear that will not let sand get in?
(other than full on boots)

I normally wear tennis shoes.
Black tennis shoes.
April 14, 2017 04:27AM
SandMan, when I detected with Search and Recovery of this forum (Stuart Lewis), in Virginia Beach last summer, he was wearing wet suit boot(ies) for detecting in the sand. I didn't have any and used sandals. After 3 days of sandy sandal straps wearing on my heels and across the top of my feet, I wished that I had some of what he was using. You might want to try a pair. Amazon.com offers several varieties.

Stuart does not post a great deal on any forums that I know of, but I received an email from him the first of the week that he had a heart attack and was in intensive care. He received a stint in a major artery (maybe more) and is now recovering at home. He says he has to wear a (monitoring?) vest for 3 weeks and detectors do not play well with the vest, so he is off detecting for a little while at least. I know all of you join with me in wishing him a speedy and full recovery.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC

April 14, 2017 05:47AM
ncwayne
SandMan, when I detected with Search and Recovery of this forum (Stuart Lewis), in Virginia Beach last summer, he was wearing wet suit boot(ies) for detecting in the sand. I didn't have any and used sandals. After 3 days of sandy sandal straps wearing on my heels and across the top of my feet, I wished that I had some of what he was using. You might want to try a pair. Amazon.com offers several varieties.

Brother!
All you guys are having more fun than I am!
Search and Recovery, Virginia Beach
This other guy finds a $10 gold coin, and his machine wasn't even turned on.

I creep around parks in bad neighborhoods at night into the wee hours.
4th of July I hit the most populated beaches after the crowd moves on.
I recover for a fee, and I recover for free. Depends who I am doing the recovery for.

I have these on my watch list. But I was going to use them in the water.

Are these decent units?
Do some of these have a more durable sole than others?

ncwayne
Stuart does not post a great deal on any forums that I know of, but I received an email from him the first of the week that he had a heart attack and was in intensive care. He received a stint in a major artery (maybe more) and is now recovering at home. He says he has to wear a (monitoring?) vest for 3 weeks and detectors do not play well with the vest, so he is off detecting for a little while at least. I know all of you join with me in wishing him a speedy and full recovery.

Prayers on their way Wayne.

You know, with none of us getting any younger...
Maybe we should have a "Prayer List" thread.
Add anyone that is having to overcome something.
From difficult birth, to terminal illness, prayers help.

Ask any doctor.
April 14, 2017 12:15PM
Sandman, I sent you a PM

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC

Detecting footwear?
April 18, 2017 02:48AM
Years ago, I went out to an old ghost town on a winter club hunt. Due to location, the dirt was often 'unfrozen'. It was still COLD and I took along the winter gear. Spent the first two or three minutes chasing signals up by my feet. I'd move away to isolate and lose the signal. smiling bouncing smiley I quickly discovered it was my steel toed Sorrel's. I won't forget that hunt. It was a difficult day keeping the coil away from my boots.

Several years ago, I met a buddy of mine for a hunt right after work. He was a cable technician for the phone company and would find great places for us to hunt. He brought his detector to work, so after dropping off the company truck at the garage, we busted right over to our site. He had his STEEL TOED work boots on and forgot to bring his regular shoes. He got pretty sick of the false signals in short order and hunted in his socks.

A lot of guys will scuff the surface of the ground with the toe of their boot uncovering a shallow target when hunting out in the desert. This works great as long as your boots fit well and your toe nails are properly trimmed. The big toe can become mighty sore otherwise.

No Steel Toed Boots.
Dive booties work good for the beach.
Flip Flops do not.

Rich -

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
April 18, 2017 11:13AM
I use British Army Haix combat boots, top quality for £60!

Detecting Outfit
April 19, 2017 06:25AM
SandMan,

I think ghound has found just the outfit for your evening forays into the difficult neighborhoods. I think CA limits the magazine size on the slung rifle though, so be prudent. grinning smiley

Rich -

ghound Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I use British Army Haix combat boots, top quality
> for £60!
>
>
> [URL=http://s89.photobucket.com/user/robertkirkwoo
> d/media/Mobile%20Uploads/c8dc67c473945cdf40bcfed15
> 55908_zpsprf0vkf3.jpg.html][IMG]http://i89.photobu
> cket.com/albums/k211/robertkirkwood/Mobile%20Uploa
> ds/c8dc67c473945cdf40bcfed1555908_zpsprf0vkf3.jpg[
> /IMG][/URL]

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
Re: Detecting Outfit
April 19, 2017 06:20PM
Gonebeepin'
SandMan,

I think ghound has found just the outfit for your evening forays into the difficult neighborhoods.
I think CA limits the magazine size on the slung rifle though, so be prudent. grinning smiley

Rich -

I think you're on to something Rich!

Here is my former night detecting gear........

To conform to California law here is what I carry now........

California doesn't want their criminals to feel that they are in any way being disenfranchised.
So victims of crimes are told to be nice and not hurt their feelings.

I have to get the hell out of here

This place is being run by a bunch of nuts.

SandMan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2017 06:22PM by SandMan.