Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What turns you off most when buying a detector?

Posted by ghound 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
What turns you off most when buying a detector?
September 27, 2016 12:51PM
As title suggests, what if anything would turn you off buying a certain brand of detector?
Personally i hate false/dodgy advertising, and testers who only show you the machines good points and gloss over the not soo good.
You rarely read/see/hear a tester (for various reasons, pick the one you like) give a less than glowing report, except maybe for Steve Hersbatch recently about the MXS, this is the type of tester i like, he says it as he see's it, no glossing over lol
Re: What turns you off most when buying a detector?
September 27, 2016 02:04PM
You EVER heard of Keith Southern??
September 27, 2016 02:43PM
doc holiday Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You EVER heard of Keith Southern??

Isn't he the Guitarist out of The Rolling Stones grinning smiley grinning smiley smoking smiley smoking smiley Lol,

What burns my Azz is people at the dealer who keep trying to sell me what they want me to buy and not what I want, They kept trying to get me to buy the F75 with a 18x15 SEF coil on it, when they had only just bought the MXT 300 from them a few weeks Before and when they tried to prove a point My MXT 300 blew the doors off it, LOL and I found 3 lots of Gold at their Test Site and I was out hunting them on a daily bases that what they were finding in a Year, Tough break Aye ? They ere the same when the SEF coils came out and I was using the Detech Excelerator Coil, I bought about 5 of the SEF's and the were all Crap, because they were from the first Batch but a couple of years after that the SEF Coils came back with a vengeance and they have never been so good has they have this last few years,

Who said be weary of the man with only one Gun, because he probably Know how to Use It, eye popping smileyeye popping smiley

John.
September 27, 2016 02:45PM
Used.... fellows who take pictures of extremely dirty units for sale.

New...tests where good points are exaggerated and bad points downplayed....
MAM
September 27, 2016 02:45PM
It's interesting to me, how the testers can take the current test subject to their favorite site, "that's been pounded for years," presumably by all the other great, prior test units, and still pull out more "goodies." Seems like the last unit they tested their, would have finally cleaned the site out. Another common theme in tests, is that the the test unit usually arrives at the testers door step a week before the ground freezes solid for the winter, requiring an abbreviated test. In spite of these small pet peeves, I still enjoy reading the tests.
September 27, 2016 02:56PM
doc holiday Wrote:
> You EVER heard of Keith Southern??

lol yes Keith's one of the good guy's!
September 27, 2016 03:19PM
ghound Wrote:

> lol yes Keith's one of the good guy's!

Don't tell Keith that or he will put his Fee's up,,, He's already Getting the Big Bucks grinning smileygrinning smileygrinning smiley

John.
September 27, 2016 03:20PM
As a general buying rule i always have a minimum time duration of 12 months before i buy anything that is not only detector related but infact any man made consumer item,usually the time duration before taking my interest to finally purchasing the item is much longer.

Detector related items ie detectors,coils and other accessories i dont chase after the must have detector by following the flock of sheep that must get the latest 'all singing all dancing' featured detector,which does happen in the detecting world in a big way,if a item has just been launched the manufactures send a initial batch of detectors out for reviews but mainly out too trusted reviewers 'who usually' wont say a bad word against the item that they are reviewing,a few well know reviewers who i wont mention do actually tell it as they see it,this i find rather refreshing that these folks actually do this.Rather than the same names that appear either on forums,social media,magazines and any other media that detectorist will read or view.

Do new detecting products get reviewed and they are highlighted too be the best thing since sliced bread,but then a short time duration a fault/s start appearing,which is either remedied by parts being replaced or the whole detector being recalled,this will always happen,infact it appears to be a trend appearing that companies need to bring new detectors /items too market quickly and it appears at the peril of low quality control.

One of my real pet hates when viewing these latest detecting adverts are when you see gold items or hoards or gold nuggets being shown next to the new wonder detector,also alot of detectors also have that magic 4 letter word in the detectors name and that being 'GOLD' you will be surprised how many detectors have gold in the model name smiling smiley its all part of the sub concise brain washing of the sales team.If they mention the latest super duper detector from x maker in the 2017 catalogue or advert and it has the word 'Gold' in the title it must be good,so i will get my credit card out and buy it at all cost.

These are of course just my personal thoughts on what put me off buying a new detector or accessory winking smiley
September 27, 2016 03:24PM
ghound Wrote:
> As title suggests, what if anything would turn you
> off buying a certain brand of detector?
> Personally i hate false/dodgy advertising, and
> testers who only show you the machines good points
> and gloss over the not soo good.
> You rarely read/see/hear a tester (for various
> reasons, pick the one you like) give a less than
> glowing report, except maybe for Steve Hersbatch
> recently about the MXS, this is the type of tester
> i like, he says it as he see's it, no glossing
> over lol

You EVER hear of Tom Dankowski???
September 27, 2016 03:59PM
D&P-OR Wrote:
> ghound Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > As title suggests, what if anything would turn
> you
> > off buying a certain brand of detector?
> > Personally i hate false/dodgy advertising, and
> > testers who only show you the machines good
> points
> > and gloss over the not soo good.
> > You rarely read/see/hear a tester (for various
> > reasons, pick the one you like) give a less
> than

Yes, but not lately!
> > glowing report, except maybe for Steve
> Hersbatch
> > recently about the MXS, this is the type of
> tester
> > i like, he says it as he see's it, no glossing
> > over lol
>
>
> You EVER hear of Tom Dankowski???
September 27, 2016 04:07PM
Person comes on website asking for opinions about buying detector XYZ, other people start telling him he needs to buy detector ABC, when he didn't ask about detector ABC.

People online giving their opinions about a detector XYZ, when they have never used/held the detector.
September 27, 2016 06:09PM
white colored coils

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2016 06:09PM by detectingMO.
September 27, 2016 07:13PM
On the subject of white coils, I am unsure how to interpret their colour. Is it a good thing, as the reflection of light/heat means the coil should be stable, or is it bad because it implies the manufacturer may have chosen it because they may have stability issues with the black plastic....?
For added confusion, many high-end machines have coils moulded from graphite-loaded plastic (either carbon dust or strands), and as carbon is black, it seems natural to use black-coloured plastic too.
September 27, 2016 09:03PM
White coils are ok in the water.
September 28, 2016 12:13AM
Personally I dislike bullshit artist manufacturers who look down on their customers -

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
September 28, 2016 12:49AM
What turns me off is getting rid of the old detector. I usually advertise on all the forums. I'll say no trade, but I always get offers. People always try to low ball and that just annoys me. And the final thing is shipping the detector. UPS is all but a rip off compared to US Postal. Putting a detector back in the box with the accessories I purchased can be an ordeal. I work days so I have to stop at the P O after work. The last thing I feel like doing. There are usually people there totally unprepared sucking the time and energy out of my soul.

But getting the new detector is awesome.
September 28, 2016 02:11AM
+1 on selling the "old" detector. A real pain here. I tried advertising on the forums,... seems like people don't buy what I'm into.
Finally take them to my dealer, who flips them around for decent cash.
People trust the dealers when they claim there is warranty left on a unit,... as if they work on the units themselves.

Last time my dealer offered to sell 2 units on my behalf,... six months later,... nothing happened.
Went in traded for half sticker price with another unit,... they made the second hand section of his website the very same day.
And sold within weeks,... for decent cash.

People need to make money,... but you'd think they would make an effort if you've bought 10 plus top end units from them.
And helped other customers out with settings and such.

In the end it's just money,... and mine is going somewhere else now :-)

As for brands well,... new releases are put under a magnifying glass on this forum.
Tells you an awful lot about where to send your hard earned €'s.

HH
Johnb
September 28, 2016 02:24AM
When buying new, knowing that the detector will depreciate big time almost immediately. That's why I prefer to buy 'used' most of the time.
September 28, 2016 02:27AM
When it sucks but I have not had that happen to me I just outgrow them as I continue to get better at my craft

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
September 28, 2016 03:16AM
The Blisstool Brand hand down are the worse with false claims and Y-tube posting laughable. There weekly "Hardcore Radio' just as bad. The most famous saying by moderator in all shows "' You Have Wrap Your Head Around the Blisstool " to understand and make it work??
September 28, 2016 05:39AM
I've found the turn off with detectors is usually a switch or knob - it turns it off.

But beside that, while every detector has something it does well, if not better than its competitors, the turn off is that it also has some glaring deficiency that other detectors don't have, and the other brand does something else better, often for less money. So, no matter which detector you choose there is always a bunch of other detectors that are superior in some other way and yet also inferior too.

I just need one perfect detector that does everything better and I'll quit complaining.
September 28, 2016 01:45PM
New detectors - I am always weary of companies that bring on a flurry of new units in quick fashion; some of them are only out a year or so and they already have the updated version of it out. Two examples right off my head are the Blisstool machines and Nokta/Makro; it seemed like they were coming out with a new version every 6 months or so there for a while. It went from the V3 to V6 in no time at all. This kills any potential resell of the "old" detector. The other case is Nokta/Makro. There was the Fors CoRe, Racer, then the Racer 2, then the Fors Gold then Fors Gold +, then the Relic, etc. It was bam-bam-bam there for a while. That really makes me weary. I like being able to sell/trade my way out of equipment and as noted before, when companies do that, it really makes it hard to find somebody that wants the new/old stock stuff when the latest and greatest is already on the market before the "old" stuff even has a chance to get a track record in the field. I also tend to shy away from new units that have over zealous field reporters/testers. They are easy to spot; they are the folks that will chime in on every thread posted on said units with multiple posts and said detector will be the best thing out there. And so it goes until the next release, in which the newest will be their preferred flavor of the next few months.

Used detectors - The description of the machine in someone's ad tells me a lot; very vague descriptions spook me and I always shy away from machines not being sold by the actual owner; i.e. the machines where it is someone's friend that they are selling the detector for them, etc. I go by gut feeling a lot on used purchases. If it doesn't feel right to me, I just let it go on by, even if it is something I've been looking for and at a good price. I am however, a sucker for ads where people are having to sell their gear for medical bills, etc. I've been known to buy things I didn't really need or want, at prices that were a bit higher than what I could have probably got it for...just to try and help out.

Selling detectors - The lowballers and tire kickers are what makes it a bad experience for a seller. I had a GPX 4500 I was selling a couple months ago. New...you figure they are around $2000. I was asking $1700 for mine, with an extra lower rod, a 5x10 DD coil and 11" DD coil, a nice control box cover with pouch. I had people sending me messages offering $900 for it. The tire kickers are just as bad. Ask a dozen questions, want more pictures....you send them pictures, answer their questions. Some times they will send more questions. You answer those...then they tell you they were just curious about the machine and didn't really want to buy one, but just had a few questions about how they operate, etc. Or that they can't buy one right now, but are interested in buying one down the road.
September 28, 2016 01:53PM
scoopjohnb Wrote:
> +1 on selling the "old" detector. A real pain
> here. I tried advertising on the forums,... seems
> like people don't buy what I'm into.
> Finally take them to my dealer, who flips them
> around for decent cash.
> People trust the dealers when they claim there is
> warranty left on a unit,... as if they work on the
> units themselves.
>
> Last time my dealer offered to sell 2 units on my
> behalf,... six months later,... nothing happened.
> Went in traded for half sticker price with another
> unit,... they made the second hand section of his
> website the very same day.
> And sold within weeks,... for decent cash.
>
> People need to make money,... but you'd think they
> would make an effort if you've bought 10 plus top
> end units from them.
> And helped other customers out with settings and
> such.
>
> In the end it's just money,... and mine is going
> somewhere else now :-)
>
> As for brands well,... new releases are put under
> a magnifying glass on this forum.
> Tells you an awful lot about where to send your
> hard earned €'s.

When I take trades I give market value minus payment/ebay fees. In other words no profit on the used. Small profit on the new traded in for. Occasionally I'll make a few bucks parting trades out, but occasionally I'll also lose a few bucks with unexpected market turns.

I can see where a dealer with much higher overhead and need to live off profits would need to make money off trades though. At least it's not as bad as trading in autos!
September 28, 2016 03:29PM
" A little polish and paint makes'em seem like what they ain't" from an old used car salesman.
I never buy anything used--I see how people abuse equipment,from ignorance or stupidity and I don't want to participate.
Selling something: Rarely, I take care of my equipment and go by the old supply adage: use it up,wear it out,make it do,do without.
Scrooge
September 29, 2016 01:59PM
bad TIDS are a turnoff ,some are better than others ,some are rubbish like the deus horseshoe
September 29, 2016 04:18PM
It's always bothered me that u can't buy a atpro or other machines with ur coil of choice. So then have to spend another $100+ on the coil i want. For this reason have had better luck buying used.
September 30, 2016 02:09AM
doc holiday Wrote:
> " A little polish and paint makes'em seem like
> what they ain't" from an old used car salesman.
> I never buy anything used--I see how people abuse
> equipment,from ignorance or stupidity and I don't
> want to participate.
> Selling something: Rarely, I take care of my
> equipment and go by the old supply adage: use it
> up,wear it out,make it do,do without.
> Scrooge

I really look after my machines too, I won't take them out of the house without fitting the best padded Covers money can Buy, Every one of my machines looks like new, I want the best out of my machines so I put the best in to them, and I never knock them around and no one ever touches them except me. There is a few people selling bits on ebay covered in Mud and they don't even have the decency to clean them first, I bought a coil off one person and I had a bugga of a job getting the Coil Cover off it and when I did it was Glued to the Coil with Dried Mud and the Coil Cover was full of mud and dried Dirt / Dust.

John.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2016 02:17AM by auminesweeper.