Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Nokta Fors Relic Scores Nice Coin In Machine-gun Iron Infested Site Using The 10" Concentric Coil smiling smiley

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Talk about a "cleanup unit"!

Took the FR out for a spin with the 10" concentric coil installed today just to test it in the conditions of this particular site. I have 3 coils, stock 11" DD, 5" round DD and the 10" concentric but have never used the concentric on the FR until today (have used it on the FG+ though).

If you want to remove truckloads of iron junk AND pick good stuff out in the process in any site you hunt = then the FR is one of the best out there for the job grinning smiley

I've hunted this place for yrs upon yrs now including having used the Fors Gold+, Makro CF77, Racer #1 and a ton of others in that time as well as the FR now and each time I've hunted it (especially with the FR and FG+) not only have I removed a truckload of iron/scrap with those/these machines but have also plucked some really nice coins/tokens out along the way thumbs down

Little by little I'm removing the large/r iron so that I can get to the good stuff I know is being masked/hidden by the junk.

Nails are no problem but this stuff (as shown below) and the stuff I've removed in the past as well as the endless supply of plow points, iron spikes, large cast iron pieces, flat iron, tractor/plow parts, horseshoes, etc. just today (not shown as it was left against the tree!) = is the stuff that hides the good old coins/etc. there just waiting to be found thumbs down

I attained my objective today and found ONE good coin in the endless sea of iron (1890 Seated Dime) grinning smiley

HH all

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2016 05:30AM by MichiganRelicHunter.
Have the same coil in DD. Really enjoy what it's doing in some of my old sites. Have some post over on the other site...this one has not been letting be download pix. Really need another place to store my pix I guess.

Nice seated there!
Yep, I did state in that crown cap thread last month regarding picking out good targets, Looks like your having a ball with that one,

That Coin is in great condition, makes you wonder how many more are waiting for you,,

Good Luck.
Nice report and finds MRH.
nice. Never have found any silver coins
Potomac run Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> nice. Never have found any silver coins

What part of the Country you in PR?

I know some parts of the country don't give up many silver coins (usually more so in some of the southern states) but on the flipside they dig stuff that we up here in the north don't have a chance of ever diggin sad smiley
MRH, way to go! It looks like you're enjoying success afield, not to mention enjoying the excellent FORS Relic. Most of my hunting is in moderate iron nail debris to very nasty littered sites that abound in all sorts of ferrous junk. If the 5½" round DD isn't mounted, which gets the most use, then I am grabbing the Relic I keep the 5½X10 Concentric mounted to. I really enjoy using that coil in low-to-moderate trash, especially when the primary junk targets are iron nails. (Note: I do have the 5½X10 DD as well, and keep it mounted on my Gold +)

Let's hope wintery weather comes late up your way this year so you can get out hunting more often.

Monte
Monte Wrote:
> MRH, way to go! It looks like you're enjoying
> success afield, not to mention enjoying the
> excellent FORS Relic. Most of my hunting is in
> moderate iron nail debris to very nasty littered
> sites that abound in all sorts of ferrous junk.
> If the 5½" round DD isn't mounted, which gets the
> most use, then I am grabbing the Relic I keep the
> 5½X10 Concentric mounted to. I really enjoy
> using that coil in low-to-moderate trash,
> especially when the primary junk targets are iron
> nails. (Note: I do have the 5½X10 DD as well,
> and keep it mounted on my Gold +)
>
> Let's hope wintery weather comes late up your way
> this year so you can get out hunting more often.
>
> Monte

Thanks Monte

I've been using/testing the FR ever since it was released and it's been very good to me as for sifting good targets out of the iron/trash.

I've made a couple videos using it in those type of sites showing how she reacts/interacts with it all thumbs down

Just waiting for the Impact to arrive on scene now so I can put that one to the test smiling smiley

HH out there!
Sweet save Wayne.
How does the FR compare to the Deus or Goldmax power? In your hunting sites/conditions?
Corey
Congrats on the seated dime save.

Think I’ll try some of that “iron cleanup” on a nearby site or two to see what I’ve been missing.

Detecting since Feb, 2010
E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
CTX3030 with 17"x13" DD coil, 11" DD coil
In Va
docbars
How does the FR compare to the Deus or Goldmax power? In your hunting sites/conditions?
Corey
Corey,

I'm not MRH, but I do rely on my favorite Nokta and Makro models, and the FORS Relic is my #1 all-purpose detector.

I was provided an XP GoldMAXX about ten years ago to evaluate. At the time. the XP GoldMAXX and other XP models were not allowed in the USA because they didn't meet the required FCC rules and standards for the USA. At the time, the primary plus mark for the Gold MAXX was the separate iron Audio Volume control. The bad marks against it was the poor build quality of the rod system that didn't 'fit' very snuggly with the mid-to-upper rod. I do not rough-house or abuse detectors, and just normal used with two competitive modes at seven ghost town sites showed the weakness and the GoldMAXX became very loose and wobbly.

In general the electronic circuitry performance was otherwise pretty good and it was about a comparable performer with most of the better Relic Hunting units I was using at the time. Not all, just most of them. I returned it after evaluation and I discussed this detector to determine if they might be brought into the USA, and the answer was no. When the GoldMaxx Power came out I considered a detector trade with a friend in Europe, but in discussing the Gold MAXX and Gold MAXX Power, I decided there wasn't a need at the time.

The only XP imported into the USA is the Deus, which met the government requirements, and I have only tinkered with it a couple of times when a friend and a seminar attendee had one. Interesting unit. Performance? Yes, possible for some of my types of hunting and hunted styles, but for me, it isn't a 'Simple' or 'Functional' detector to gain the 'Performance' I like to have. I like 'simple' and 'functional' and right out of the gate the Deus fails my requirements due to the three different pieces that need separate battery charging. Second is the excess amount of tinkering required to try and get it to behave similar to the detectors I use that AEE 'simple' and very reliable.

I am not here to argue with, defend, or point fingers at users of the XP Deus because if it is something THEY like, and has the features THEY are comfortable with, and if it provides the performance THEY wish to have, then I guess that is how they feel and it is a comfortable unit for them. That is fine with me as we all have our different feelings of important features and end-performance for the various types of hunt we do. The Deus just isn't a detector that I would feel comfortable with or care to own. Not for the Coin Hunting I do in modern-use sites, and especially not for the Relic Hunting I enjoy the most at old, iron littered locations.

You ask, "How does the FORS Relic compare" for my hunting conditions, and I can tell you the Relic is an exceptional performer for me and for the sites I usually hunt, and in the higher mineralized ground I general hunt in. The Relic is well balanced, very simple to use with ample adjustment functions, and not an excess of things to tinker with. It comes standard with two search coils, a 'standard' 7X11 DD and an excellent smaller round 5½" DD, the latter coil being a definite plus for hunting in densely littered sites as I do. Most notably when ferrous debris is one of the biggest offenders and causes a lot of good target masking. The Relic can do an exceptional, job of unmasking desired finds in ugly litters sites.

Let me add here that I also get great performance in my hunting sites with my Makro Racer 2 and my Nokta FORS CoRe which brought me to switch allegiance over to the Nokta brand. I got my CoRe in January of last year and I still use it in all the troublesome places I visit and it can match or better almost any other detector when compared side-by-side. I complemented the CoRe with the Racer 2 this past January and it worked just fine for Relic Hunting but I have assigned it primary duty for urban Coin Hunting most of the time.

At the same time the soon-to-be Relic nudged to the #1 spot in my arsenal because it provided me all the field performance of the CoRe, and then some with five changes I especially like. They are:

1.. A bump from 15 kHz to 19 kHz.

2.. The addition of an Iron Audio Volume adjustment (as I also have on the Racer 2).

3.. It has a variable Tone Break adjustment (as I also have on the Racer 2).

4.. The addition of two search modes, especially the 'DEEP' mode (as I also have on the Racer 2).

5.. In addition to a 5½X10 DD accessory coil, my Relic uses my favored 5½X10 Concentric coil in low-to-modest littered sites, especially where iron nails are the main problem..

So I guess "How it compares" is an easy answer for me because it does what I want, provides adjustments I like and can use, and I get the resulting simplicity of using a functional detector to gain all the performance I hope to have afield. In short. I like my detectors because they are a good 'fit' for my tastes, and most of all I Have Fun when I am out detecting with them, and having FUN is the most important factor in enjoying this great sport. If I wasn't having fun anymore, I would give up doing what I have enjoyed for over five decades, and will continue to enjoy as long as I have my Relic and other favorite detectors in my arsenal.

Monte
docbars Wrote:
> Sweet save Wayne.
> How does the FR compare to the Deus or Goldmax
> power? In your hunting sites/conditions?
> Corey

There's a reason the Deus is No1 seller in the UK, fast, light, deep, wireless, there are Nokta relic users but it's not had a big enough big influnce to sway Deus users, Ziggyjinks has a couple of good videos on it, and Calabash Digger has some very good vids on the Deus, state side.
I'd love to try the Relic but i don't know if I'd buy one, swung the Deus a few times but it's not for me either.
It has been about a year since I last detected. I do miss not knowing what you have till you dig it. This is the time of year I start but my life has become crazy so not sure when I can get back out there

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
That's a nice seated, always love digging them thumbs down
docbars Wrote:
> Sweet save Wayne.
> How does the FR compare to the Deus or Goldmax
> power? In your hunting sites/conditions?
> Corey

Hey Corey

although the 2 machines are good for many of the same hunting scenarios/same type of sites (iron siftin mainly) they are different in many ways too.

The deus no doubt is a high end unit with a few extra features/options over the FR and it's an old coin hunters dream in rion (as well as buttons) because it loves "round" type targets and slams on them like no tomorrow.

The FR has an edge of it's own though with that small 5" DD coil as it can pick stuff out that the Deus just can't see with it's 9" coil, it slams on brass & lead, it loves odd shaped items while the Dues doesn't and it's also easy to discern large/r relic type stuff that mask out the smaller/coin size targets and so you can easily pick that stuff out/remove it when using the FR

I used to be of the mindset that all I needed was a Deus and a FBS and had all bases covered but after using some of the Nok/Mak units over the last 2 yrs in a lot of my same sites AFTER having ran the Deus and a CTX in them = my outlook has changed significantly!

It's definitely a cleanup unit and I mean that in more ways than one. Not only can you clean the site of much of the weird/odd shaped and larger stuff other machines don't see but you can find the good stuff that's left after pounding it with a few of those units too thumbs down