Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Does anyone here swing both ways?

Posted by Detectorist 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Does anyone here swing both ways?
October 17, 2016 02:06AM
I mean right hand/left hand. I'm mostly left handed and swinging a coil with my right hand is very awkward. Wish I were better at it...
Re: Does anyone here swing both ways?
October 17, 2016 07:34AM
I swing with my right arm and currently having problems with my right wrist due to a bike accident years ago,how ever hard i try and swing with the left arm it just does not want too happen,so currently using lighter machines like the Deus and UK version of the Vaquero as everyday machines and it appears to be working.

But if i use say a 'heavy rig' like my Nexus or TDI Pro then i can only use these with a full GPX harness and then i can swing for long periods of time if need be,but trying to swing with the left arm although in theory it should be a simple move,the coordination just goes out the window smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2016 08:26AM by Junk and Disorderly.
October 17, 2016 07:55AM
I'm right-handed, but put the effort into learning left-handed swinging, and now swap hands every 15 minutes or so. I can only dig right-handed, though, I'm just going to put up with that one.
October 17, 2016 09:31AM
I'm an extreme right hander. Can barely use my left hand. Can't write or even hold chopsticks with them. However when I swing.... I use my left hand almost exclusively. I have no idea why. It happened the day I started detecting.
October 17, 2016 11:24AM
When I first saw the title I was thinking he meant something totally different lol
October 17, 2016 11:34AM
I can swing the detector with both arms. I had to learn or else loose time taking breaks. It was awkward at first but I knew things would level out. Keep at it. Just like everything else you try, you'll get the swing of it.
October 17, 2016 01:00PM
Absolutely. Otherwise, you risk overuse injury (tendonitis and such) from using one arm. Now that it's winter and I only go around 1x a week I won't but in the summer when I'm going 4-5x per week I switch each session. For the first 5 minutes of the hunt it feels really awkward and by the end of the hunt it feels perfect. Surprising, I don't notice any soreness from my detector hand; rather, I notice it with the hand I dig with so that is really what I switch.

Nox600, CTX, CZ21, Excal II and White's DF with 920i stealthscoop...I live and hunt at the beach in Wilm NCsmiling smiley
October 17, 2016 02:09PM
Nope just can't swing with my non dominant left hand....I do experiment with close-far swings and such and change the armrest positon and have even used rods upside down to get the most comfortable swing....What works for me may not work for you due to different body builds...Experimentation is in order...
October 17, 2016 03:04PM
I actually had a terrible time trying to use my left hand using the G2 because to pinpoint with my left thumb didn't work so well, now with the f75 trigger it's all good.
October 17, 2016 03:33PM
No I swing left handed and I am left handed

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
October 17, 2016 08:06PM
Yes I have to swap up on the beach when I swing for several hours. I've been having tennis elbow (or something like it) going on in both elbows so it's almost a necessity to switch arms when swinging the heavy excal.
October 17, 2016 08:17PM
Have always swapped hands while detecting---was the reason I went to TDI Pro over my 2 ML pulse detectors.Couldn't stand to be wrapped in cables.
October 17, 2016 09:12PM
I do when using heavy detectors on long hunts. With the xp deus do really run into that prob unless using my big 11x13 coil for long periods
October 18, 2016 12:01AM
Welgund Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When I first saw the title I was thinking he meant
> something totally different lol

Great isn't it, eye popping smiley what can one say to that,
October 18, 2016 12:06AM
I'm normally right handed, but started swinging left when I began detecting. It just felt better.

Now I've "trained" swinging right handed too and do change sides when detecting before one side gets tired.

I did the same playing tennis and felt like a bumbling idiot at first, but it gets better if you keep at it. Be patient.
October 18, 2016 11:27AM
Yes I do....detecting that is! I switch hands often. Been doing it ever since I started hunting, so it just comes natural for me.
October 18, 2016 04:09PM
I am all left dig, right swing with an occasional right dig assist on the beach. In the field I often have to set down the detector and dig with all I have (get the pick!). Southwest mini drought has set the concrete in a lot of sites!

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
October 19, 2016 09:15AM
I have at times used my left hand to swing the detector, but it is uncomfortable doing that.
October 19, 2016 05:36PM
Absolutely, no problem using either arm but it is awkward pinpointing left so I usually switch back over when a target is found.

Those who say "I just can't do it", its obviously a mental thing that can be overcome with persistence. I do everything right handed except guitar, for whatever reason just felt natural to play left handed for me and I couldn't play right to save my life.
October 22, 2016 04:27AM
I always swing both ways. Never had any problems doing it.
HH
Corey