Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Western Frontier Site

Posted by Cal_cobra 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Western Frontier Site
October 20, 2016 01:52AM
cal just trying to give you a heads up not trying to insult you...

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
October 20, 2016 05:09AM
No worries, thanks thumbs down

Lawrenzo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> cal just trying to give you a heads up not trying
> to insult you...
October 20, 2016 02:10PM
Here's the lone coin of this new site of ours. We will be looking for more there on future trips. It's a common date, but I'll take it smiling smiley

October 20, 2016 02:31PM
Bryan,

Terrific site you're working, and reminds me of a few military activity sites that I have also hunted 'Out West' that could make a few dedicated Relic Hunters on the 'right coast' side of the US a little envious. Matter of fact, back in the winter of '91 there were two fellows with their southern drawl set up at a swap meet in Portland, Oregon who I engaged in conversation after seeing some of their display ... and the prices they had on some bullets, cartridge cases and buttons. Business was a little slow for them because most folks out this direction and in that big metropolitan city mainly had interests in Coin Hunting. Even if then, almost twenty-five years ago, there were still more older coins hanging around in parks and typical places.

I was at the swap meet trying to turn a few things to help us make a move and when I told them what I had found at three of my favorite ghost towns in Utah and Nevada, they were interested. A friend watched my tables and I scurried home and returned with a bunch of buckles, bullets, cartridge cases and complete cartridges, military buttons and such, and made a fair amount (or at least I felt I did) selling almost all that stuff to those guys who were headed back to the Alabama/Georgia area.

I worked on a PIT program with the USFS in '91, I believe, in Utah which was a "Camp of Instruction" that was an assembly of three forts from Utah and Wyoming. I believe there were about 800 plus soldiers there, and need to check but it might have been an eight week encampment in Strawberry Valley. There were photos of that encampment as it was the 3rd Camp of Instruction in the west and drew a lot of attention, so we were able to visually reconstruct the camp layout, then get it gridded and staked.

Yes, the area had been hunted before, and certainly some coins might have been plucked, but there were so many artifacts that had conductive properties so similar to most US coins that a lot of those would have been found, but you wouldn't have known it. A select crew of devoted detectorists from our club participated in that project, and the number of military insignia, buttons of various sizes, buckles, bullets, cartridge cases, full-length metal shotgun cases and more were found, but only two coins that I recall. A Seated Liberty Quarter and the other was either a Seated Dime or Indian Head cent. Too long ago to recall, but I do know only two coins was all. Not much for all for over 800 soldiers over a several week time iof camping, training, marching, shooting, mounting and dismounting, etc.

So your lonely coin recovery isn't a surprise to me. I do wish I were there to put in a day or three of hunting with you and ought to make a drive that way. Should be close to time to do some 'field testing' and evaluation and compare our Racer 2's, my Relic and CoRe, and just maybe something new and innovative on a couple of your sites. smileys with beer I can work the travel time in, and with fall here and winter weather coming, you will probably have comfortable huntable weather by comparison.

In the meantime, get out there and keep working that location as I am certain there are many more keepers to be recovered.

Monte
October 20, 2016 03:14PM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> Here's the lone coin of this new site of ours.
> We will be looking for more there on future trips.
> It's a common date, but I'll take it smiling smiley
>
> [b3.ifrm.com]
> 0917.jpg
>
> [b3.ifrm.com]
> 0952.jpg

Nice!! So that is what that "TEST" post was about over at Kinzli's. cool smiley
October 20, 2016 04:19PM
good to hear from you Monte ! Chris and Tom , your old hunt buddies who moved to CA, have always had nice things to say about you. That you were always willing to help anyone who asked, with your vast reservoir of detecting know-how. In fact, they gleaned a lot of their passion and subsequent success from your having "taken them under your wing" to show them the ropes of ghost-town type hunting.

Seabee Ron, yeah I haven't gotten around to making a post there yet (still haven't un-packed from our trip!). But did have a singular pix of the coin though. So in the meantime, used that forum's hosting mechanism, as I see this forum doesn't have a hosting mechanism. Sssshhhh, don't tell Jeff smiling smiley Nah, it's ok, as I'll be using that pix when it comes time to post of our exploits on that forum too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2016 04:21PM by Tom_in_CA.
October 20, 2016 04:19PM
WOW!!!!!!!, congrats on the research and finding that site. Looking forward to seeing many more cool finds coming from that site.
HH
Corey
October 21, 2016 02:39AM
Cal,
I have a site like that in AZ. Our finds are very similar. Hundreds of the old rim fire cases and bullets, ox shoes,etc. No coins! Really weird.

Dean
October 21, 2016 03:18AM
Monte Wrote:
> Bryan,
>
> Terrific site you're working, and reminds me of a
> few military activity sites that I have also
> hunted 'Out West' that could make a few dedicated
> Relic Hunters on the 'right coast' side of the US
> a little envious. Matter of fact, back in the
> winter of '91 there were two fellows with their
> southern drawl set up at a swap meet in Portland,
> Oregon who I engaged in conversation after seeing
> some of their display ... and the prices they had
> on some bullets, cartridge cases and buttons.
> Business was a little slow for them because most
> folks out this direction and in that big
> metropolitan city mainly had interests in Coin
> Hunting. Even if then, almost twenty-five years
> ago, there were still more older coins hanging
> around in parks and typical places.
>
> I was at the swap meet trying to turn a few things
> to help us make a move and when I told them what I
> had found at three of my favorite ghost towns in
> Utah and Nevada, they were interested. A friend
> watched my tables and I scurried home and returned
> with a bunch of buckles, bullets, cartridge cases
> and complete cartridges, military buttons and
> such, and made a fair amount (or at least I felt I
> did) selling almost all that stuff to those guys
> who were headed back to the Alabama/Georgia area.
>
> I worked on a PIT program with the USFS in '91, I
> believe, in Utah which was a "Camp of Instruction"
> that was an assembly of three forts from Utah and
> Wyoming. I believe there were about 800 plus
> soldiers there, and need to check but it might
> have been an eight week encampment in Strawberry
> Valley. There were photos of that encampment as
> it was the 3rd Camp of Instruction in the west and
> drew a lot of attention, so we were able to
> visually reconstruct the camp layout, then get it
> gridded and staked.
>
> Yes, the area had been hunted before, and
> certainly some coins might have been plucked, but
> there were so many artifacts that had conductive
> properties so similar to most US coins that a lot
> of those would have been found, but you wouldn't
> have known it. A select crew of devoted
> detectorists from our club participated in that
> project, and the number of military insignia,
> buttons of various sizes, buckles, bullets,
> cartridge cases, full-length metal shotgun cases
> and more were found, but only two coins that I
> recall. A Seated Liberty Quarter and the other
> was either a Seated Dime or Indian Head cent. Too
> long ago to recall, but I do know only two coins
> was all. Not much for all for over 800 soldiers
> over a several week time iof camping, training,
> marching, shooting, mounting and dismounting,
> etc.
>
> So your lonely coin recovery isn't a surprise to
> me. I do wish I were there to put in a day or
> three of hunting with you and ought to make a
> drive that way. Should be close to time to do
> some 'field testing' and evaluation and compare
> our Racer 2's, my Relic and CoRe, and just maybe
> something new and innovative on a couple of your
> sites. smileys with beer I can work the travel time in, and
> with fall here and winter weather coming, you will
> probably have comfortable huntable weather by
> comparison.
>
> In the meantime, get out there and keep working
> that location as I am certain there are many more
> keepers to be recovered.
>
> Monte

Great story Monte, that had to be an incredible experience. The fact that you found buckles, gives me hope that I might dig one at our spot.

I'm sure if you're ever in our neck of the woods, that Tom and I could take you to a good spot or two. Winter beach detecting is coming too, on our beaches you can find anything from a reale (saw Tom dig a quarter reale at an old beach/harbor), to a gold coin or gold/silver jewelry when the swells are just right. We'd definitely have some spots that you could try something new and innovative at thumbs down

HH,
Brian
October 21, 2016 03:50PM
Here's my stuff from Brian & I's trip:

1) Here's a group shot of all the age indicators from both hunts at this site. Eg.: buttons, bullets, copper doohickies, etc.... Hardly any modern trash at this site !

2) Here's the shell casings. These things were so numerous in some places, that I actually began to reject/pass them ! A relic-hunting "no-no", but ..... we'll be back to farm them all out eventually smiling smiley

3) Here's various metal doohickeys. Eg. rivots, military accoutrements, silverware fragments, suspender clips, hinge, etc... Nickel is for size. Anyone know what the object to the left of the nickel is ?

4) Lots of 3 ringers. With varieties of dimples and ring arrangements between them.

5) misc. lead, junk metal, and some modern stuff from the site:

6) The buttons, front sides:

7) The buttons, back sides:

8) The 1854 half dime front:

9) The 1854 half dime back:

October 21, 2016 03:52PM
I invite any comments and ID's (hint hint Keith smiling smiley) Especially to the 2 smaller buttons just below and slightly left of the nickel.
October 21, 2016 04:17PM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> I invite any comments and ID's (hint hint Keith
> smiling smiley) Especially to the 2 smaller buttons just
> below and slightly left of the nickel.

Tom you may want to post a close-up of the two smaller buttons, can't really see them at the top back position.
October 21, 2016 05:04PM
closeup of 2 small buttons. Anyone care to take a stab at ID ?

October 21, 2016 09:17PM
The one on the left is a Mexican war period Forage Cap Kepi button

The one onthe Right is a Civil War Federal Navy Button Cuff

Those 4 Holers are underwear buttons.

The Eagles are all General Service buttons

Weird theres so many flattened Eagle buttons..alot of times those were used as Poker chips in playing cards..and would get smashed..

What you need to notice in that finds picture is the U.S Buckle Keeper

When those are lost off the belt...there's a STRONG chance there's a Oval U.S. Buckle lying there..

if someone hasn't already got it...Ill bet my bottom dollar thersa U.S Buckle Lying there..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
October 21, 2016 10:16PM
Keith-----You are an AMAZING walking/talking metal detecting related encyclopedia!!!!!!!------I mean that in a good way & I am serious when I say it!--------Del
October 21, 2016 11:12PM
thanx Keith !!
October 21, 2016 11:17PM
Keith do you know all these ID's from the top of your head, wow, amazing!!

Tom we gotta get back out there, I am dying to dig an oval U.S. buckle (well I wouldn't mind a gold coin either - LOL!)!!!

I had to google what a belt keeper was:

Brass Belt Keeper. The brass keepers were commonly utilized on mid to late war waist belts for Federals. They began to appear by early 1863 to replace the leather loop keeper that had been the standard prior to the war. The keeper has prongs to fasten to the leather waist belt.

So yeah, I'd agree, if the guy lost his belt keeper, there's likely a buckle close by too.
October 21, 2016 11:23PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> The one on the left is a Mexican war period Forage
> Cap Kepi button

Ahh, so it was 15+ -ish yrs. old at the time of loss. Based on the origination of the site-location Yes it "dripped with age" compared to the quickly-stamped out CW era buttons. THANX! I've found a few others of those in my part of CA. Since, of course, there was a shortlived period of Mexican Army army here (when Spain lost control of Alta CA to the independent Mexico ).
October 21, 2016 11:40PM
Your welcome!!

yes I know most that stuff just from seeing it day in day out for Well about my whole life LOL...well from early teenage life on anyways..

it just becomes second nature...Really no great feat of Knowledge just sunk into memory from repetitively seeing the stuff over and over..

There's literally countless items to find in camp's and each piece or even just a part of a bigger piece can tell a story..Most all of the stuff is mass produced by that time period...so most of the stuff can be I.D'd easily..It was the machine age by then..

Of course down here in the South we seek out the rarest of the rarest Confederate stuff...only made for 4 years or so and alot of times in limited quantities ..

Id bet out west in those ghost towns there's some Rebel stuff..lots of Rebs went west after the war...took their accouterments with them...Makes you wonder how much of that stuff is in old hunters trash boxes they don't know what it is???Reb buckles worth 20k LOL..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
October 22, 2016 03:53AM
Also I might add when I said Hardee hatpin here's an example of a whole one on side of hat.. the eagle device..

Also of great interest is those hats were worn by a hard fighting group of men in the Civil war Known as the Iron Brigade..also Known as the Black hats from wearing these hats..they fought heavily in gettysburg...Led by Reynolds...knows as the First corps...

there from 1858 .. they were hot....didnt last long most switched to the kepi..

I'd bet a officer had yours on..maybe with a huge Plume!!!

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
October 22, 2016 08:17PM
Congrats on the large selection of mid 1800s finds on the west coast.

Detecting since Feb, 2010
E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
CTX3030 with 17"x13" DD coil, 11" DD coil