Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

How deep on coins do thos new fangled pinpointers go?

Posted by Detectorist 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
How deep on coins do thos new fangled pinpointers go?
October 20, 2016 01:25AM
I see so many videos where folks are trying to locate a small target with those things when they only have to pass a handful of dirt in front of the coil..... what are the best ones?
Re: How deep on coins do thos new fangled pinpointers go?
October 20, 2016 01:50AM
Some will go about three inches but the nice thing is they make finding targets faster for me and they give you a better idea where the target is and the size of the target and less chance of scratching a nice coin. I use the Marko

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
October 20, 2016 04:10AM
Had a Garrett Pro pointer since they came out and never had a issue like I did with others.
October 20, 2016 06:24AM
imho - very well proved to be in case from the point of view of safety of finds from blow a shovel a pinpointer of Whites TRX.
But its work differs from work of other pins as he looks for a nose and it is necessary to be able to use this benefit in case of its very big range.
Also this pin should be checked upon purchase for stability at the 4th level of sensitivity.
October 20, 2016 07:44AM
vp7..huh?
October 20, 2016 09:06AM
I apologize for my English
Maybe I have incorrectly understood you, but if the speech about the choice of a pinpointer that not to damage a find at their excavation, the pinpointer with a working nose and big sensitivity, that is TRX has very well proved to be
Before excavation of a find a nose you bring to the earth to the place with an estimated find such pinpointer and if a find on not really deep water that he at once picks up her, and at the expense of a working nose the accuracy of positioning turns out ideal.
If a find on very deep water that you undermine the purpose and besides a nose of a pinpointer in a hole you position the purpose.
And even if there will be several finds in one place that at the expense of the accuracy of such pinpointer will define it.
ps: I long enough use TRX, earlier used Garrett Pro Pointer, that is is what to compare to.
October 20, 2016 11:11AM
I have used Garrett's Pro Pointer for years with no problems. Now I have a Garrett Carrot my wife bought me that works well. I do have to get use to it though.....There are a couple things I'd change on it. For one, the delayed turn off and two, the way to change sensitivity confuses me.
October 20, 2016 11:49AM
I think vfp7 was trying to say the TRX pinpoints off of the tip, unlike the Garrett, which will also pinpoint along the sides of the pin pointer.
I have both the orange Garrett and the Whites waterproof TRX. I've tested them both out in the field on targets before I dig them. I find the TRX to be deeper than the Garrett in every case.
October 20, 2016 02:08PM
Varies due to the product but invaluable in finding the target and certainly a time saver...expect 2 inches plus and Garrett has a tuning tip that doubles depth.
October 20, 2016 03:32PM
Just checked the price of the TRX. $159 ? is it made out of gold? Sheesh
October 20, 2016 05:17PM
The Garrett is cheaper. 120.00 or less. It sure Helps if Target is still in Hole or just to get out of dirt pile. Don't understand Why guys wave the hand full of dirt over coil if You Don't have to.
October 21, 2016 02:02AM
Dan-Pa,
That tuning tip works with the TRX as well.
Don't get me wrong. I use both and like both.
I prefer the Garett once the target is out of the hole.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2016 02:05AM by jonnied1.
October 21, 2016 02:56AM
The TRX is deeper than the Carrot which is deeper than the original Pro Pointer.

I prefer the Carrot for most of my applications to the TRX, but it's a matter of personal preference and the type of hunting you do whether you want the tip only (TRX) or the tip and shaft like the Garretts.

The Detector Pro Pistol Probe is actually deeper than all of these because it is a PI probe, but the Chinese made Pistol Probe has a lot of negative qualities starting with build quality. But if you want absolute depth it's the deepest I've used.
October 21, 2016 03:21AM
I like the original black Garrett Pro Pointer. I have the orange one now, and eh, for me, I much prefer the original (don't like the lag time for power on/off, and the occasional holding the button for too long and it goes into "program" mode....it's a PITA in my opinion, I guess I just like the K.I.S.S strategy.
October 21, 2016 09:53AM
The Older Whites Bullseye II is about the best when it comes to sensitivity on Tiny bits unless you class the Falcon MD-20 in to the mix, A deep pin pointer has very little use and although the TRX and the AT and the ML pin pointer see coins deeper they can't be fine tuned like the BE II can, my one see bits of Lead weighing down to about 0.06 Grams so it would help when prospecting and it does not cross talk with your detector,
October 21, 2016 10:20PM
marcomo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The TRX is deeper than the Carrot which is deeper
> than the original Pro Pointer.
>
> The Detector Pro Pistol Probe is actually deeper
> than all of these because it is a PI probe, but
> the Chinese made Pistol Probe has a lot of
> negative qualities starting with build quality.
> But if you want absolute depth it's the deepest
> I've used.

All true. thumbs down
And IMHO, the headphone version of the Detector Pro Pinpointer (the Uniprobe) is the deepest.
And the pulse pinpointers work much better in the hardpack/mineralized ground I hunt.

(I also carry a TRX for it's ability to locate those tiny bits of foil that a PI simply won't see...but I don't use it that often.)

For me, the best use of the pinpointer is while the target is still in the hole.
If I'm typically looking for coins from the 1800's, they're going to be down at least 10" plus.

I'll pinpoint very carefully on the surface, but if the coin is at any angle, by the time you get down near it, you can be off quite a bit.
So I carefully dig down 7-8 inches or so, then out comes the pinpointer for the final recovery. ( So the deeper the pinpointer detects...the better, for me. )

I found a beautiful key date Merc (1921D) this year that was on edge...3 inches off into the side of an already wide/deep hole.
The pinpointer barely detected it, but 'barely' was enough.

If I didn't have a good pinpointer, I'd have simply written it off as yet another 'ghost' signal. Instead, I've got an $800 dime.
...And with a good pinpointer, (and some patience), you don't have to apologize for the big gouges in the old silver coins. winking smiley

HH,
mike

PS - Now that I've thought about it, I think I'll throw my detector into my 'new-fangled' horseless carriage, and go try to wrangle me up some more old coins... smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2016 10:23PM by Mike in CO.