Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

New Here.

Posted by Tom_in_CA 
New Here.
October 20, 2016 02:00PM
Hey everyone, I'm new to this discussion board forum. Brian "Cal Cobra" told me about it. I'm the one he alludes to in his "western frontier site" post. Looking at the topics and sample reading a few, it's easy to tell there's a lot of knowledgeable and passionate hunters here !

I'm especially grateful to the knowledge and time-to-type-out that Keith Southern inputted to Brian's thread. Thank you so much for your input there Keith ! Out here in CA we don't get a lot of sites which had much military influence during the 1860s. Since, of course, the western states were not participating in the CW. So we don't "bone up" as much on CW targets (buttons, bullets, tack, etc...) as you CW states guys do. Hence I very much appreciate your taking the time to post on Brian's ID's. As he said, it dates from around 1859 to the late '60s, And as you can see from his photos (I guess this is obvious), that the place was frequented by the military . But in those years, out west, soldiers of that era were doing the indian things, protecting the settlers, protecting the building of RRs and telegraph lines, keeping the peace, etc.... However, their buttons, bullets, etc... would be akin to what you deep south guys are so studied-up on.

So thank you again Keith and everyone for inputting into Brian's post ! My finds were similar to Brian's. Except I bagged the lone coin of the effort: An 1854 half dime.

When I bagged the coin, I came over to Brian demanding he fall to his knees and call me "oh mighty one". But all he would say is "F%# you and just show me the stupid coin " Ah gee, he's not a good sport smiling smiley Seriously now, he's passionate, patient, and genuine all around nice guy smiling smiley We have a lot of fun in competition, ribbing, research, and hunting. He loves to improve his game continually: Study all the pro's and con's of equipment, study to find new sites, lend a hand to others, etc.... He knows and appreciates the age indicator relics. So that even if we get to a site and are only finding rimfires, harmonica reeds, lantern parts, etc.... Yet to each of us: Those are all "coin-woulda-coulda's".

I see El on this site too. He's one of the foremost researchers in CA, and also a stand up all-around good guy too ! Hi El !

I will add some of my finds to Brian's post, from our latest ghost-townsy adventure trip.
Re: New Here.
October 20, 2016 03:00PM
Welcome, Tom, good to see you here!

For those who don't know, Tom is the king of common sense on other forums when it comes to (not) asking city hall bureaucrats for permission to detect public sites.
Re: New Here.
October 20, 2016 03:09PM
Welcome.
Everything goes here for the most part, technical stuff is what made this site what it is.
Probably the only subjects you might want to stay away from is opinions on wasting time hunting trashy sites and asking permission to hunt public areas from government authorities.
You probably never think about or have opinions on these issues anyway...do you?

Re: New Here.
October 20, 2016 03:12PM
Took you long enough!! spinning smiley sticking its tongue outsmileys with beer
Re: New Here.
October 20, 2016 04:10PM
Hey Tom welcome, took you long enough to get here>grinning smiley<.

For those that might not know, Tom has probably dug more Phoenix Buttons , Reales, Gold coins and silver coins than most hunters in California.

Maybe he might post some pictures. Don't be shy Tom.

BTW Tom, Paul is here as "Apolonio (CA).

El
Re: New Here.
October 20, 2016 04:11PM
ah, I see SeabeeRon on here too ! Another stand-up nice guy ! With the patience of an angel to be a forum moderator babysitting a bunch of cry-babies and soapboxers all the time ! haha . Met you a few times on your area beaches. But predominantly stay @ my beaches down my way, as they're less travel.

Did you do any good on that last swell that came through ? I heard of a 10k ring and about 50-ish coins from the main beach there on the first day of that swell-train. Figured it would get even better by the next day, as southerly winds were slated to kick in. But never heard any reports after that. Was out of town that weekend on a ghost-town trip.

And yes marcomo and diggwr27: legal issues related to md'ing is a "bee in my bonnet" topic, haha But love lots of other venue discussions of the hobby too. Yes, Brian told me the main focus here is technology as it relates to the hobby.
Re: New Here.
October 20, 2016 04:17PM
Welcome Tom
HH
Corey
Re: New Here.
October 20, 2016 04:27PM
El, Yes, Paul is another awesome guy. Kind-to-a fault at times, haha Loves tinkering/technology, so I guess it's only fitting that he would chime in here.

As for reales, gold coins, etc..... Yeah, I've found a few smiling smiley Brian keeps threatening to "throw me down a hill" or "bury me in the desert" if I find any more gold coins while on a hunt with him. So hopefully the next one will be his to bag !
Re: New Here.
October 20, 2016 04:33PM
If Brian gets this new upcoming machine to test out, he and I can do some flagged signal comparisons. Eg.: Explorer II vs the new one.

When he and I traded flagged ghost-townsy signals and wet salt beach signals, I was mildly surprised at how well his Racer stacked up. His target counts went up when he got that machine. Versus target counts using previous Fishers he'd always brought on our hunts.
Re: New Here.
October 20, 2016 04:35PM
Are you the one who challenged someone to a shootout at a park with him having a CZ and you a White's? Long time ago..
Re: New Here.
October 20, 2016 04:50PM
detectorist: Yes, that was me. The CZ6, although weak on deep bent nails, punches deeper than the Whites I was using @ those years. I have since gone to Minelab explorers for for all my turf and relic hunting. And yes: The CZ spanked the couple of Whites guys. Once we returned a year or so later , to that same park with some of us now sporting Explorers, we got similar silver and wheatie counts as the CZ guy "Mike" was accustomed to getting. One of my friends with an explorer, was even able to get 25 turf silver in a single hunt there once. But yeah, I got shot down in embarrassing flames on that one while at an arranged "duel" of CZ vs Whites sad smiley

The CZ6 is also an excellent wet salt beach machine on the west coast. But not too many guys are still swinging them that I see around here.
Re: New Here.
October 20, 2016 04:53PM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> El, Yes, Paul is another awesome guy. Kind-to-a
> fault at times, haha Loves tinkering/technology,
> so I guess it's only fitting that he would chime
> in here.
>
> As for reales, gold coins, etc..... Yeah, I've
> found a few smiling smiley Brian keeps threatening to
> "throw me down a hill" or "bury me in the desert"
> if I find any more gold coins while on a hunt with
> him. So hopefully the next one will be his to
> bag !


Hello Tom & welcome to the Forum.-----SO---How many gold coins have you found???-----Show us a picture of 'em--I'd like to see one cause I've never found one myself.smiling smiley-----What detector(s) are you running? (EX 2--what else)?------Be nice if Brian & you could! test out the Impact on your hunts.-----Keith & Monte shouldn't get to have ALL tha fun!!winking smiley-----------Del
Re: New Here.
October 20, 2016 05:08PM
D&P-OR Wrote:

.-----SO---How
> many gold coins have you found???-----Show us a
> picture of 'em--....


14 so far. And 15 if you include one mounted in jewelry. Some found during beach storm erosion episodes, some found @ old-town urban demolition sites, some found at ghost-townsy relicky sites, and 1 found in the turf.

This pix was taken with a smart phone camera that was sort of chincy. I should probably assemble them for a better pix with a better camera.


Re: New Here.
October 20, 2016 05:11PM
hmmm, that's odd. The forum doesn't seem to allow scrolling to the right side of the pix ? Is anyone else able to scroll left to right ?
Re: New Here.
October 20, 2016 05:21PM
try again:

Re: New Here.
October 20, 2016 05:29PM
Holy Smokes!!! I can only imagine. Thanks for showing us.

Randy
Re: New Here.
October 20, 2016 05:33PM
Impressive just dosen't cut it. I don't know what else to say.
Just Wow!
Re: New Here.
October 20, 2016 05:58PM
I've seen those coins in person, it's quite impressive to say the least.

I was on two of the hunts Tom found a gold coin on. One was right out of the gate at a new site, I couldn't believe it !!! drinking smiley
Re: New Here.
October 20, 2016 06:16PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
..... One was right out of the gate at a new site,
> I couldn't believe it !!! drinking smiley


But I STILL can't get you to drop to your knees, bow, say: " Oh mighty one " eye rolling smiley What do I gotta do ? Find 2 in one hole ? Ssheeessk. >grinning smiley<
Re: New Here.
October 20, 2016 06:23PM
Very nice gold coin pics! And good to see you made it to the forum.
Re: New Here.
October 20, 2016 06:27PM
Welcome Tom!
Re: New Here.
October 20, 2016 08:38PM
Welcome Tom! I thought you had been here a along! Great site with a wealth of knowledge to add or gain!
Re: New Here.
October 20, 2016 09:11PM
Those are SUPER NICE coins Tom.-----and when you get tired of looking at them---P.M. me for my address of where to send them!!thumbs down------Don't give 'em to Brian though--he might loose them! grinning smiley-----Me---I'll put 'em in my safety box---I promise!winking smiley-----------Del
Re: New Here.
October 20, 2016 09:18PM
D&P-OR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Those are SUPER NICE coins Tom.-----and when you
> get tired of looking at them---P.M. me for my
> address of where to send them!!thumbs down------Don't
> give 'em to Brian though--he might loose them!
> grinning smiley-----Me---I'll put 'em in my safety box---I
> promise!winking smiley-----------Del


Nahhh I won't loose them, I still have every find I've made (well the keepers at least) since I started detecting, haven't sold (or lost smiling smiley a thing...
Re: New Here.
October 20, 2016 09:19PM
What detectors/coils did you find them gems with Tom???----You still haven't "fessed up" to that!-----We've gotta know ALL the details! smiling smiley-----------Del
Re: New Here.
October 20, 2016 09:38PM
Hey ..Tom..think you will like this site!smileys with beer
Re: New Here.
October 20, 2016 10:11PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> D&P-OR Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Those are SUPER NICE coins Tom.-----and when
> you
> > get tired of looking at them---P.M. me for my
> > address of where to send them!!thumbs down------Don't
> > give 'em to Brian though--he might loose them!
> > grinning smiley-----Me---I'll put 'em in my safety box---I
> > promise!winking smiley-----------Del
>
>
> Nahhh I won't loose them, I still have every find
> I've made (well the keepers at least) since I
> started detecting, haven't sold (or lost smiling smiley a
> thing...


smiling smiley We do to Brian.----My wife & I have all the keepers we have found over the years with the exception of several hundred silver dimes I sold a few years ago and have regretted it ever since.-----I'm like Scrooge McDuck----I like to look at 'em! winking smiley-----We keep our valuable finds in the safety box but it's fun to look over the rest of the stuff.------We cash in all our clad finds about once a year after cleaning them.
Re: New Here.
October 20, 2016 10:40PM
Tom, good to see you over here. Goodness, gracious, man, that is a gold hoard. smileys with beer HH jim tn
Re: New Here.
October 20, 2016 11:51PM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> detectorist: Yes, that was me. The CZ6,
> although weak on deep bent nails, punches deeper
> than the Whites I was using @ those years. I have
> since gone to Minelab explorers for for all my
> turf and relic hunting. And yes: The CZ spanked
> the couple of Whites guys. Once we returned a
> year or so later , to that same park with some of
> us now sporting Explorers, we got similar silver
> and wheatie counts as the CZ guy "Mike" was
> accustomed to getting. One of my friends with an
> explorer, was even able to get 25 turf silver in a
> single hunt there once. But yeah, I got shot
> down in embarrassing flames on that one while at
> an arranged "duel" of CZ vs Whites sad smiley

Yea, you know me as John, in Missouri. That was like 16 years ago? The CZ opened up hunted out parks for many folks. The Explorer took it to a whole new level. I just got a White's MX Sport. Reminds me of the Explorer.
>
> The CZ6 is also an excellent wet salt beach
> machine on the west coast. But not too many guys
> are still swinging them that I see around here.
Re: New Here.
October 21, 2016 12:18AM
WHOO WEE BOYS!! Look at those gold coins. Hot diggity.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 20
Record Number of Users: 12 on December 18, 2021
Record Number of Guests: 167 on September 14, 2021
Gold Prices Silver Prices


EPIPHANY METAL DETECTING Announcement

PERSONAL TRAINING....BY PHONE!!!

This forum powered by Phorum.
Forum page views since Jan. 1, 2010.