Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Which Tesoro coil is best...

Posted by Whimpster 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Which Tesoro coil is best...
October 23, 2016 11:20PM
I'm in the process of buying a Bandido 2 umax with a 5.75 coil...
My question...what coil would you suggest I buy to take the place of the 8" original coil to give me decent depth?

Cheers Bob.
Re: Which Tesoro coil is best...
October 23, 2016 11:32PM
If the Bandido comes with the stock 8" and the 5.75 concentric coil, you should have it covered. The only other coil I would suggest is the 10X12" DD that came with the Outlaw 3 coil package. I have this big DD coil and it is good for searching out large areas looking for signs of habitation and scouting purposes.
October 23, 2016 11:42PM
Hombre,

The Bandido only comes with the 5.75 coil....looking to buy another coil for increased depth.

Hombre Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> If the Bandido comes with the stock 8" and the
> 5.75 concentric coil, you should have it covered.
> The only other coil I would suggest is the 10X12"
> DD that came with the Outlaw 3 coil package. I
> have this big DD coil and it is good for searching
> out large areas looking for signs of habitation
> and scouting purposes.
October 23, 2016 11:45PM
I would just get the 8 in donut coil then will give you the best depth for the Bandido.
October 23, 2016 11:45PM
on a bandido II Umax my coil of choice over stock and the stock brown is a Awesome coil by the way....I choose the 10.5 Concentric pancake..

I hurt a few nautilus users feeling's down on the coast with that setup in some Confederate camp's about 20+ years ago...

Deep flying eagles and Fatty's...and beautiful buttons and great depths in that sandy soil with nails mixed in........

That was the achilles heal to the nautilus ...they cant work nails exceptionally well..the 120 Disc with that sparky max boost could..and could do it pretty dang deep with that coil..

man those were fun times back then!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
October 24, 2016 12:08AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> on a bandido II Umax my coil of choice over stock
> and the stock brown is a Awesome coil by the
> way....I choose the 10.5 Concentric pancake..
>
Keith...You're right about that 10½" concentric coil But they don't make that coil anymore. I lucked out and found one many moons ago and i see them from time to time in the classifieds on the forums. Don't use one at "trashy" fresh water beaches in the wet sand unless you are ready for a workout, personally have dug aluminum beer cans at 2 foot and fishing sinkers at almost that depth...lol
October 24, 2016 01:58AM
I have just bought a as new 10.5'' Concentric coil last week,they are as rare as anything here in the UK,even ones that have had a hectic life still command top dollar,but i was just in the right place at the right time as they say and its on my UK version of the Bandido its called a Laser B1,i also have a mint mint condition B3 which is the fixed GB version.

As Keith has mentioned its very good when combined with the legendary Tesoro discrimination,a great setup that i use on open farmland that offers deep targets,will even still keep up with more modern expensive detecting outfits.

A rare coil to find these days,only down side with mine is that it has the longer cable on it rather than the normal short one,but was lucky that i even was able too find one,if you do get the opportunity then grab it.
October 24, 2016 02:41AM
Yes it's not made anymore..Like alot of the oldies but goodies...

I hear ya on the 2 ft stuff I dug a Whole Epaulet in a camp on Hilton Head once at 2ft easy with that combo dude with Naughty which is an awesome unit just stood there with his mouth open LOL...he swung the area and said since that things is running so hot lets see what it can do right there. ive hunted that hard for years and its dead....well it dug that and a few past a foot Sharps!!

J&D congrats on the coil..

What's unique about the 10.5 is it can separate Very very well...and get outstanding depth..and can even separate at depth winking smiley

I believe all the 10.5's came long cord...that coil was left over from the hip mount models...as they phased out the hip mount models they phased out some of the older coils..

what's crazy is a bandido II Umax married to a 10.5 is just about the perfect union...

the early Tesoros that used that coil didn't have the max boost circuit and they could never really drive that bad boy like a Bandido II umax could with max boost...talk about a great Combo.

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
October 24, 2016 12:53PM
the 12x10 SEF coil for me
October 24, 2016 01:35PM
As a long-time Tesoro user, since mid-1983, and also a Tesoro Dealer most of the time until Nov. '04, I made use of every search coil they offered for all model to evaluate their in-the-field performance From that I came to several conclusions brining me to this point in time and only regret that I didn't order up some favorites to have on-hand for an unexpected demand in the future (meaning today).

Because most urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting I have done is in trashier places, I prefer the smaller, thin-profile 6" Concentric coil (the one Tesoro calls a 5.75), and this is the ONLY search coil I keep mounted full-time to all my favorite Tesoro models in my personal detector battery.

For every-day average site hunting where trash targets are minimal and more spaced apart so you might get better coverage and depth, I agree with the others who suggest the round 8" Concentric 'donut' coil is the way to go. Those have been the brown color for a couple of decades now, but my personal preference is the former 8" donut coil which was white in color, and a little thinner and lighter-weight.

Unfortunately, those are difficult to still find, and the last one I had on my original Bandido was sent in to Tesoro to have a short in the coil cable by the connector replaced, but instead they sent me a brand new brown 8" coil with the extra-long cable which I had absolutely no use for. My original 8" coil they said in a note they returned with the coil "had a crack" in it so they just threw it out. Naturally I was not pleased with that move as I specifically mentioned in my note to them with the coils I sent in that the coil worked just fine, but needed the plug replaced after removing the short in the nearby cable.

Anyway, the round 8" donut coil works quite well, and I actually prefer that coil to the 8X9 Concentric 'spoked' coil that kind of took its place of some models. If you want a little better depth, even though mot a pronounced gain from the 8" on smaller-size targets such as coins, trade tokens, buttons, bullets, etc., I also give my vote in favor of the round 10½" donut Concentric coil. Don't confuse this with the thicker and heavier 11" round DD coil, or the newer 10X12 Concentric or DD coil offerings.

It is the 10½" Concentric coil that I wish I would have stockpiled long ago as they are very difficult to find. I liked to use it more for searches for larger-size targets, but it worked pretty well and still hit on some decent-depth smaller targets, but just wasn't a major need in my personal arsenal because I can be found in very trashy, iron debris sites 90+% of the time where it would be a bad choice to have mounted.

Keep your 6½" Concentric and shop for a round 8" Concentric, if you want a little better coverage and a little more depth, to match the performance level offered by the Tesoro.

Monte
October 24, 2016 05:25PM
I appreciate the info Lads...gives me a direction to go into.
I'll have to keep my eyes open for a 10.5 concentric coil as well.

Thanks again,

Bob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2016 10:40PM by Whimpster.
October 24, 2016 09:53PM
Did Tesoro ever make a 5-pin Epsilon series 10" elliptical concentric (or DD) coil?

I see they did a 10" concentric elliptical for the 4-pin Tesoros.

TIA,
Brian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2016 09:55PM by Cal_cobra.
October 25, 2016 01:12AM
11x8 rsd