Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Western Frontier BIG Silver & Relics

Posted by Cal_cobra 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Western Frontier BIG Silver & Relics
November 07, 2016 05:26AM
I'd planned a small detecting trip with Tom this weekend, and he bailed on me at the last minute....so, knowing that it'd likely be the last chance I'd get before the end of the year due to future commitments (work, holidays, etc), I went solo smoking smiley

Back to the Western Frontier site that I posted on a few weeks ago, and check out a few new sites. This site was stingy as can be with coins, but not to be outdone by Tom and his little half dime, I was determined to eek one out! Sometimes you have to be careful what you ask for, as I managed to eek out not one, but six....sadly only one counted, the other five were a modern coin spill, like some twisted fellow played a cruel trick...but at least, the treat was saved for one of the last, but not least targets to come!

This is a tough site for a VLF machine to detect, not due to the iron, I'm used to detecting in heavy iron, it's due to the alkali soil. Tom's Exp2, as expected, handles this funky soil with ease, but there's no joy for a VLF machine. I tested both the F75 LTD2 and the Racer2 there, and for this kind of soil, the R2 blew the doors off the F75 (dirt meter was pegged on the F75, and four out of five bars on the R2).

So unless signals are large, or close to the surface, even a big 3-ringer can sound terrible. It's hard to describe, but a lot of the conductors just have a scratchy sound, numbers bounce like crazy, and you end up rolling the dice on a lot of the digs. After a while you can kind of tell if a target is going to be a conductor or an old square nail or other piece of iron pretending to be a conductor, but still get a high rate of false positives. It wears you down after a while with audio fatigue. I tired all kinds of settings, low gain, high gain, 2-tone, 3-tone, you name it, it was a mixed bag. There was no magic silver bullet setting to be found, you just had to power through it, go slow, and investigate each and everything that made a sound. The next time I detect here, I may bring my CZ70 to try out, I suspect it, or a White's V3i (or Minelab FBS) machine would do well here with the right coil. Maybe by then I'll have an Impact to try out, but I think it'll take a true multi-frequency machine to conquer this particular dirt.

Anywho, back to the finds!

I was really hoping to find a period coin (preferably GOLD eye rolling smiley and intact Union Army accouterments, like a US oval plate, eagle hat pin, or some such display piece.

The first hunt I used the F75 LTD2. Tried both DE and BP modes and have to say that I did not enjoy detecting with the F75 at all at this site. Target counts were way down, and it was a struggle to dig non-ferrous targets. It was a struggle to try to listen to the crippled F75's audio reports. Found a couple of eagle buttons, bullets and shells, but they were all hard earned. On my second hunt, I switched to the Racer2. Still struggling, but less of a struggle then the F75 was having. Target count was increased (doubled), and I managed to make my best finds of the trip on this hunt. Initially the first 75% of this hunt I was mainly finding bullets, casings, and eagle buttons. Cool, but was kind of hoping to find something different. As I neared the end of the hunt, I dug a cool button. I figured it was some kind of artillery button with the crossed cannons on it. After cleaning it, further investigation (and reading the writing on it eye rolling smiley showed it was a period Ordnance Corps Officers button smileys with beer Button depicts flaming bomb over cannons, intended for officers of the Ordnance Corps, who were tasked with development and procurement of weapons for the army. Neat button, I figured it might be somewhat rare considering that the Treasure Depot Button book is missing an example?

Then I moved to another area. Got a funky signal, and dug a beautiful, fully intact Hardee Hat Eagle smileys with beer

I cleaned it with some aluminum naval jelly, and it cleaned up nicely (could still pick a bit more dirt off), there's even a tiny bit of gold gilt left on it, I'm very happy with this find:

Not ten feet away from the Hardee Hat Eagle, I got the best signal of the day. One of those pure, five star, high number locking signals that you hope to get at this kind of site. I could just tell from the sweet, pure sound (which is unusual as heck for this site) that it was going to be something good, and likely a larger coin. I carefully dug my hole, and started pinpointing and much to my surprise as I was breaking up the soil, at about 5" down, I saw a large silver disc with lady liberty flash by. Out came a beautiful 1859 San Francisco mint Seated Liberty silver half dollar grinning smiley I had to sit down for a minute and take it in. I detected for a bit longer, got an eagle cuff button, and a colt pistol drop, but decided that was a great way to end the day and called it.

Great Eagles concert duo!!

Here's all the finds (notice about the I got the handle off of a Cavalry Crossed Sabers insignia (above the Hardee Hat Eagle), got part of the saber last time, perhaps one piece at a time I'll get the rest of it:

Powder flask screw top (anyone know what that odd bullet above the little buckle is??):

Buttons:

A lot of lead:

This shell still has part of the bullet inside:

This tag looks more modern to me (says "something TUBE CO)??

Modern coin spill angry smiley and misc junk:

Big hunk of lead, some kind of colar or something. Note the tooling at the top. Any idea what it may have been for (talk about a killer signal!):

Can't wait to get back to this spot smiling bouncing smiley

Thanks for looking and happy hunting,
Brian
Re: Western Frontier BIG Silver & Relics
November 07, 2016 05:35AM
Wow Brian! What a fantastic outing. Love the buttons and bullets and way to top it all off with the seated half.

Rich (Utah)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
November 07, 2016 11:32AM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> not
> to be outdone by Tom and his little half dime, I
> was determined to eek one out!

Did anyone else here catch the snub with the line: Tom and his "little half dime" ? The viewer will kindly note that "Tom's little half dime" was 1854 (as seen in Brian's prior post for this site). A FULL 5 yrs. older than Brian's pesky newer coin. I'm sseeeoooo sorry hahaha tongue sticking out smiley

Ok, seriously now: That's a great report ! Glad you finally bagged an old coin from there (albeit newer than mine) . It was fun getting the in-field progress reports as you worked the place. I could vicariously live through the blow-by-blow reports even though stuck here at work. I was beginning to worry .... towards your final hour, that you were going to return home without an old coin. But at the 11th hour, you pulled a rabbit out of your # # smileys with beer Congratz to you !

The back on that coin looks awesome, as for numismatic condition. But can we get a better pix of the front when you have time ? Hard to see the "liberty". And having seen the pix fresh-out-of-the-hole, do tell: What did you use to clean it ? Ezest ? Solo or with any other persuasion ? My half dime from this site just prettied right up with nothing but ezest soak, and gentle thumb rub.

Looking forward to more info on your crossed cannon /flaming bomb button. Eg.: date, value, etc.....
November 07, 2016 11:50AM
also a better macro of the ordinance button if you have time. Something went fuzzy with your close up shots of that. The eagle hat pin's closeup came out great though !
November 07, 2016 12:18PM
Great digs!!! WTG!!!
November 07, 2016 12:29PM
Fantastic! That would be the hunt of a lifetime for me.

Tom

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
November 07, 2016 02:53PM
Brian, that was a great hunt! The R2 has been working well for you even in the nasty ground. Next trip there with Tom, borrow his Exploder and see how it performs for you in that soil. You may have to trade the F75 in on your own Exp.
November 07, 2016 03:27PM
awesome hunt, Brian...on the bottom of that tag, I think it is "manufacture co"
November 07, 2016 03:57PM
That is what it is all about right there, the Hardee Hat pin is the Holy Grail.......congratzthumbs down
November 07, 2016 05:30PM
Tom Slick Wrote:
> Brian, that was a great hunt! The R2 has been
> working well for you even in the nasty ground.
> Next trip there with Tom, borrow his Exploder and
> see how it performs for you in that soil. You may
> have to trade the F75 in on your own Exp.

Hey Tom,

The F75 is a great detector, just not for salty soil conditions (I assume alkali is similar to salt minerals). It's gotten me some deep coins/targets, even some in thick iron that others have missed. That said, the Racer2 does just as well, if not better, so the F75 is becoming a bit redundant. I'm considering selling it (hard to do, it's made me a lot of nice finds, I'm attached to it - LOL!!), but I don't think I could get an Explorer, too heavy. I like the White's V3i, but it's also somewhat on the heavy side and has a steep learning curve. Aside from the Fisher CZ's, what other multifrequency machines are there (that are lighter)?

~Brian
November 07, 2016 05:34PM
Rod-PA Wrote:
> awesome hunt, Brian...on the bottom of that tag, I
> think it is "manufacture co"

Thanks! I suspect it's not as old as the site, but not sure.
November 07, 2016 05:45PM
You caught that - lol That was just for you smileys with beer Yes it's older, but mine is much bigger...but we already knew that spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Your right, the second hunt all came together in the 11th hour, man it started off slow, especially as I explored some other areas, and then towards the end I started making some better finds, amazing how that works sometimes! It's like making that great find on the way back the to car!

I didn't do anything to the back of the coin, other then wash it off, the back is awesome, the front I let sit in some Ezest and rinsed it off, it came out nice. Looking a the PCGS site, it's an easy XF40+. The reverse is nicer then the front, if the front was as nice as the reverse, it would've easily been more in the 55-60 range as per PCGS. Doesn't matter to me, it's was a great find, only my second ever seated half!

Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> Cal_cobra Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > not
> > to be outdone by Tom and his little half dime,
> I
> > was determined to eek one out!
>
> Did anyone else here catch the snub with the line:
> Tom and his "little half dime" ? The viewer
> will kindly note that "Tom's little half dime" was
> 1854 (as seen in Brian's prior post for this
> site). A FULL 5 yrs. older than Brian's pesky
> newer coin. I'm sseeeoooo sorry hahaha tongue sticking out smiley
>
> Ok, seriously now: That's a great report ! Glad
> you finally bagged an old coin from there (albeit
> newer than mine) . It was fun getting the
> in-field progress reports as you worked the place.
> I could vicariously live through the blow-by-blow
> reports even though stuck here at work. I was
> beginning to worry .... towards your final hour,
> that you were going to return home without an old
> coin. But at the 11th hour, you pulled a rabbit
> out of your # # smileys with beer Congratz to you !
>
> The back on that coin looks awesome, as for
> numismatic condition. But can we get a better pix
> of the front when you have time ? Hard to see the
> "liberty". And having seen the pix
> fresh-out-of-the-hole, do tell: What did you use
> to clean it ? Ezest ? Solo or with any other
> persuasion ? My half dime from this site just
> prettied right up with nothing but ezest soak, and
> gentle thumb rub.
>
> Looking forward to more info on your crossed
> cannon /flaming bomb button. Eg.: date, value,
> etc.....
November 07, 2016 05:46PM
Thanks! I was excited, and honored to dig a complete Hardee Hat pin!

I'd be equally as happy to pull out a US oval plate, I know there has to be one or two there some where!

Hombre Wrote:
> That is what it is all about right there, the
> Hardee Hat pin is the Holy
> Grail.......congratzthumbs down
November 07, 2016 05:51PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:

>
> The F75 is a great detector, just not for salty
> soil conditions (I assume alkali is similar to
> salt minerals).

Brian, wasn't the Exp. II spanking the F75 at our "other" sites down south ?
November 07, 2016 05:58PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> Looking a the PCGS site, it's
> an easy XF40+. The reverse is nicer then the
> front, if the front was as nice as the reverse, it
> would've easily been more in the 55-60 range as
> per PCGS.

You think the front ranks XF40 ? Can you get a macro-shot to share with us, when you get a chance. Because on the photo here, hard to see if any liberty on the shield shows . On the other photo you sent me, I can only see the "... TY .".
November 07, 2016 07:30PM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> Cal_cobra Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> >
> > The F75 is a great detector, just not for salty
> > soil conditions (I assume alkali is similar to
> > salt minerals).
>
> Brian, wasn't the Exp. II spanking the F75 at our
> "other" sites down south ?

Generally speaking, yes. That wasn't the case with the Racers, they leveled the playing field against your Exp2. When you and I hunted this site previously, we were neck and neck on target counts the first day, and I believe I spanked you on the second day. Oddly I noticed that the second day, after it rained, signals came in a LOT better for me, they were sounding more normal and I was having an easier time. Minelab FBS machines definitely have a big advantage at this site. I might just bring my CZ70 w/8" coil on the next trip there just to see if the multi-frequency technology unlocks this site, just not sure how the CZ will do with all the nails there. Worth a try! I do think a V3i with their 5x10 coil there would be killer, hmmmm....
November 07, 2016 07:54PM
Brian,

You really ought to give the Outlaw a shot at this place with the 5.75 concentric coil.
November 07, 2016 08:37PM
Mighty fine and hunting, Brian. Those big seated silvers are pretty rare. HH jim tn
November 07, 2016 11:32PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
>, just not sure how
> the CZ will do with all the nails there.

Yup. Cz's are great machines. But not sure how adept they are at "ghost-townsy" conditions. So too is the powerhouse Exp II not necessarily a "ghost-town" machine. But for some reason, I've done ok at our "sites down south" and this site too. So for some reason, I've not seemed to lack in iron-ridden environments with the Exp. I'm sure there's masking going on (when compared to the 2-filter machines), but .... I do quite well considering the power-house that they are.
November 08, 2016 01:34AM
Brian,

These are finds of major National historical significance......... not to be underestimated. Glad to see you bring them to light!
(((Moments that you will never forget.)))
November 08, 2016 04:09PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Brian,
>
> These are finds of major National historical
> significance......... not to be underestimated.
> Glad to see you bring them to light!
> (((Moments that you will never forget.)))

Yes. You can't paint a more colorful picture of the "wild west" and "Americana" than cool finds like these. I even heard a rumor that Brian's conscience is so guilt stricken (with depriving the general public from enjoying them), that he is going to donate them to a museum. Right Brian ? cool smiley
November 08, 2016 07:03PM
Super nice digs!!

especially the half!!!

Seems to be unhunted??

How much trash you digging ..with that many Keepers there must be a ton of tossers in there.

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
November 08, 2016 07:09PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> Super nice digs!!
>
> especially the half!!!
>
> Seems to be unhunted??
>
> How much trash you digging ..with that many
> Keepers there must be a ton of tossers in there.
>
> Keith

Keith, I know of 2 fellows who hunted this site several times. But that was back in the late 1980s or very early 1990s. And they were swinging 6000 di pro's in those days. They got at least one nice coin (a seated half I think). And I recall them talking about some military accoutrements (one of which they highly prized, but I can't recall what it was either). But I have long since lost track of those guys. And thus we can not compare notes with them. Perhaps Brian and I are the first persons to hunt since then (hence laying dormant for over 20 yrs smiling smiley)

As for the "trash": No, not much trash. If you look at the pix (from the 2 threads on this site so far), you will indeed see some tabs, clad, modern .22 shells, etc... But the better proportion is old stuff. So much so that when the occasional tab surfaces, you curse under your breath, haha

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2016 07:10PM by Tom_in_CA.
November 08, 2016 07:16PM
O ok..

I was calling trash like 1800s trash..scrap copper big iron cut brass etc..barrell bands

I know when we use do get into Virgin sites down here it was almost overwhelming due to amount of Items lying around...you could gets tons of keepers but it took awhile to get them..

makes more sense I was wondering if it was virgin or hunted hard and those were what was left. but Now I see it is whats left ..It would take forever to dig that many keepers in a site that was virgin LOL..Must just be a bunch of small iron and keepers that's left masked

Good deal!!

Very Well could be a Gold coin in there for sure ..HOPE SO!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla