Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Nexus Credo

Posted by ghound 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Nexus Credo
November 20, 2016 09:15PM

Ok, so i played about with settings and these are the best of my air test results.
I did try and video the air test using my tablet but as i was holding it the detector was picking it up from 3 or 4ft away.
I'll try again tomorrow with the tablet stationery as it's worth hearing the modulated audio response.
November 20, 2016 09:24PM
@ghound ,some good results,are they what you had been expecting or possibly deeper ?? i reckon you had problems with the video due too the large intake of the old Guiness last night smileys with beer
November 20, 2016 09:48PM

I got 2.5hrs out with the Credo today in a 6 acre field that a few of us have been detecting for years, but it still usually gives up a few items/coins.
I took the GM5 along to compare targets running it in 18khz, i ran the Credo mostly and checked it with the GM5 which picked up every signal the Credo did. Then i swapped over and the Credo couldn't hit the lead washer that the GM5 found?

Nothing was over 6"-8" deep.
The Nexus is defo a deep detector, but to find the deep stuff you have to listen to the softer signals which i feel are easily confused with similar soft ground noise/minerals, if you were to dig every one that lit the led display you would soon be peed off.
I was running the Credo in 2 tone with small nails disc out as was the GM5, i only dug 3 non ferrous items. The Credo dosen't give a defined 'beep' when you go over a target, it's more like the sound you get when you pinpoint but with a threshold, you can run turbo audio which is not modulated, same volume level for deep/shallow targets which is more of a 'beep' response, kinda like the MXS lol
So i have to get a few more hours in on the machine, I've learned a bit, mostly about hot rocks and coke, maybe a quieter field with less ground noise, try and seek out the quiet signals.
As a general everyday detector I'd take my GM5 over the Credo every time, upto the 10" mark on most targets it give loads more info back to the user, it's faster, better in iron etc etc and it costs half the money!
More info as i get it.
November 20, 2016 10:18PM
Junk and Disorderly Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> @ghound ,some good results,are they what you had
> been expecting or possibly deeper ?? i reckon you
> had problems with the video due too the large
> intake of the old Guiness last night smileys with beer

Rick, i think its as deep as advertised, it's understanding/interpreting the soft deep signals that i need to get my head around.
It also seems to cut through my poor soil very well, the Racer2 i had air tested really well but this machine gets the same Victorian penny 4"or 5" deeper than it, im going to order up the 18khz coil as i think it would really sniff out the small stuff.
November 23, 2016 09:47AM
[youtu.be]

Here's how it sounds, the modulated audio is a tad weak at depth, this can be changed to turbo audio which gives the same higher voulme no matter the depth.
November 23, 2016 10:02AM
Just Subbed your channel and will watch when I get back from dog walking.... Good stuff
November 23, 2016 12:12PM
[youtu.be]

No probs Ziggy.
Here's another of it's recovery speed, working in around nails is not what i bought it for, but it's better than i was expecting for what's susposed to a one trick pony detector with a 11x9 coil on.
November 27, 2016 09:33PM

Another 2hrs with the Credo this morning, not looking good!
November 29, 2016 11:47PM
Howdy folks!
I'm new to the forum here but could not find much on the Nexus Credo until I found the discussion here.
I have owned the Credo since March and I am still discovering things.
Hopefully I can pick up a few tips here as well. I have been bouncing messages off of Georgi regarding performance expectations and in the process discovered a few things on my own.
First off, I hunt mostly the eastern U.S. with my soil being particularly difficult and can expect up to a 50% reduction in depth in the clay soils here. I thought that the Credo was no exception until I made a few observations and would like to see if someone else can duplicate.

Settings:
GB spot on.
Disc 12:00 position.
Sens . 12:00 position.

First off, I attempted to duplicate the Nexus corner test using a US dime. The most I could get was 24 CM (10") depth in the all metal mode.. very close to what is advertised as the minimum performance spec for the Nexus Standard. Unfortunately I could only get around 18 CM in disc mode... until I did this:

The trick I found in disc mode was to drop the coil almost directly on the ground and wiggle the coil, about 2" back and forth and these deeper targets sound off very well where as just swinging the coil normally would produce a one way, broken or no signal at all. Using this technique in tough clay conditions seems to allow disc to work at almost the same depth as all metal mode.

I went back to my test garden with US Quarters buried at 10, 11 and 12" that were previously undetectable with normal coil motion in disc mode. Sure enough, with a slight coil motion close to the ground the Credo was able to clearly pick these up in my hard clay ground. BTW.. I do not own any other detectors that will pick up these quarters no matter what!

So.. one way to deal with the difficult ground is to hunt in all metal mode, swing your coil about 3" off the ground. It will allow the Credo to ignore a lot of ground noise. Believe it or not, you will still be able to pick out the deeper targets. No reason to "scrub" at all. Then once a target is located, switch to disc, drop your coil close to the ground and slowly wiggle from side to side about 2".
Don.
November 30, 2016 10:03AM

Thanks for the tips Don, im picking the Credo up slowly!
There's some good info on the UK forum MDF.
I'm doing something similar in a way to you, im hunting in all metal, single tone, disc at 10 which only affects the DDM lights and not the audio. Then a flick of the switch to disc mode to check it's not coke etc
All metal is the recommended mode for depth at high sensitivity, but in turbo audio i can keep it at minimum sensitivity and still get serious depth, i find about 5"-6" between min/max sensitivity on a large English penny, so at min sensitivity in turbo audio i can still hit the 12" penny in my test garden.
I found the 11x9" coil to have a small area of high sensitivity where, like you say if you do a small wiggle it really gives a better response, though I've found it's easy to miss targets altogether with a fast sweep, you nearly have to overlap them.
I'm well happy with the detector, it's insanely powerfull and as deep as i want to go, i just need more hours on it to learn it and a fresh productive site!
I'm not sure if you have covers on your machine, but i can recommend the one's from Staffs metal detectors in the UK, nice fit with a lift up front to get at the control knobs.

Dobybowers Wrote:
> Howdy folks!
> I'm new to the forum here but could not find much
> on the Nexus Credo until I found the discussion
> here.
> I have owned the Credo since March and I am still
> discovering things.
> Hopefully I can pick up a few tips here as well. I
> have been bouncing messages off of Georgi
> regarding performance expectations and in the
> process discovered a few things on my own.
> First off, I hunt mostly the eastern U.S. with my
> soil being particularly difficult and can expect
> up to a 50% reduction in depth in the clay soils
> here. I thought that the Credo was no exception
> until I made a few observations and would like to
> see if someone else can duplicate.
>
> Settings:
> GB spot on.
> Disc 12:00 position.
> Sens . 12:00 position.
>
> First off, I attempted to duplicate the Nexus
> corner test using a US dime. The most I could get
> was 24 CM (10") depth in the all metal mode.. very
> close to what is advertised as the minimum
> performance spec for the Nexus Standard.
> Unfortunately I could only get around 18 CM in
> disc mode... until I did this:
>
> The trick I found in disc mode was to drop the
> coil almost directly on the ground and wiggle the
> coil, about 2" back and forth and these deeper
> targets sound off very well where as just swinging
> the coil normally would produce a one way, broken
> or no signal at all. Using this technique in tough
> clay conditions seems to allow disc to work at
> almost the same depth as all metal mode.
>
> I went back to my test garden with US Quarters
> buried at 10, 11 and 12" that were previously
> undetectable with normal coil motion in disc mode.
> Sure enough, with a slight coil motion close to
> the ground the Credo was able to clearly pick
> these up in my hard clay ground. BTW.. I do not
> own any other detectors that will pick up these
> quarters no matter what!
>
> So.. one way to deal with the difficult ground is
> to hunt in all metal mode, swing your coil about
> 3" off the ground. It will allow the Credo to
> ignore a lot of ground noise. Believe it or not,
> you will still be able to pick out the deeper
> targets. No reason to "scrub" at all. Then once a
> target is located, switch to disc, drop your coil
> close to the ground and slowly wiggle from side to
> side about 2".
> Don.
Tips on using the Nexus Credo for deep relics.
December 01, 2016 04:15PM
Here is a short video I made using the Nexus Credo and getting the most out if it for deep relics.

Don

[youtu.be]
Re: Tips on using the Nexus Credo for deep relics.
December 01, 2016 04:31PM
Thanks for that. I've the 13" coil on it's way, hopefully it will be a good one.
December 02, 2016 12:33AM
Always wanted to try a Nexus..

let us Know I know a guy in Tennessee who say's their the deepest made commercial machines !!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
December 02, 2016 09:31AM
There very powerful Keith, and at minimum sensitivity it's still deeper than my other detectors at max sensitivity.
I'd guess on neutral ground something like the AKA Signum MDF would give loads more user info at similar depths, but in poor ground the Nexus rocks!
Personally I'll only be using it on quiet ancient pasture, i can't see anyone in the US using it for curb strips, parks, coin shooting etc but it's hot on larger items and would be a serious tool for large milled coins and relics, probably deeper than you'd want to dig.
If you can get a unit to try out Keith, get the Nexus MP (Mineral Power version), it would probably handle the toughest of ground and still punch deep.

Keith Southern Wrote:
> Always wanted to try a Nexus..
>
> let us Know I know a guy in Tennessee who say's
> their the deepest made commercial machines !!
>
> Keith
December 02, 2016 05:12PM
Sounds good..

yes down here in my soil the AKA was really noisy and not alot of depth..too much blow back from the soil...

yet it air tested into the stratosphere..

I would like to try a Nexus ..like I said I've spoken with a well trusted and intelligent hunter (David Keith) in Tennessee who was impressed with his...yet that dirt is different than mine too..

Thanks for info

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
December 02, 2016 06:39PM
[youtu.be]

Keith, if you'd been closer I'd of loaned you my one, be interesting to see how it got on in your ground.
Here's a coin a i dug up from my test garden, i planted it about 3 years ago thinking my etrac would nail it, it didn't, anyways i got a whisper on it with the GM5 maxed out and the Nexus got it pretty decent at minimum sensitivity, for comparison the R2 maxed out at 9" or so on the same coin/ground, maybe not fair though as it's not it's strong point.
I was using the Credo in Turbo audio so same volume level for all depths, minimum sensitivity, ideal on quiet pasture, would be a nightmare on a busy site though lol
(sorry but there's the odd swear word in the video as i was digging one handed, im not a natural at it like others so forgive me please)

Keith Southern Wrote:
> Sounds good..
>
> yes down here in my soil the AKA was really noisy
> and not alot of depth..too much blow back from the
> soil...
>
> yet it air tested into the stratosphere..
>
> I would like to try a Nexus ..like I said I've
> spoken with a well trusted and intelligent hunter
> (David Keith) in Tennessee who was impressed with
> his...yet that dirt is different than mine too..
>
> Thanks for info
>
> Keith
December 02, 2016 08:53PM
I'm surprised that the AKA did so poorly for Keith. I used my Sorex Pro with the 6x10 14khz coil in Culpeper at DIV and dug bullets at 10 inches with a good tone and good hodograph ID. And I was running in the MM mode, which is really a trash mode but gets good depth also. I ran sensitivity at 19 with almost no ground feedback. I was shocked by the performance. I figured it would read everything as iron as most VLF's do, but in most cases the ID was right on.
December 04, 2016 11:07AM
So i got the 13" 6khz coil for the Credo delivered yesterday, and what a difference it's now a pure pasture machine! I found the 10" coil just too tight and precise for pasture, this coil has a wider catchment in each sweep.
I was worried at 6khz it would miss the small stuff, but apparently what ever way these coils are made they don't miss small coins and when i air tested this big coil it had no problem picking up a small thin hammered silver @13" and a big Victorian penny at near 2ft, crazy air test!

I headed out first thing this morning busting to try out the coil, so i headed to a river bank and knowing there would be fresh finds and i could play about with settings.
Several ring pulls, some foil, 2 modern coins and a pewter badge in 15mins of play.
Next i was onto a fresh field and i was pulling bit and bobs out, best item was the 1872 Victorian silver shilling, first silver for the Credo!
The detector was flawless on the pasture, all item were between 4"-9" deep and could have been found with my GM5, but the difference was the signals, the shilling was roughly at 8" and it gave max volume audio and filled the led light bar, i could easily have got it at 12" with the same signal.
The iron disc is very precise with this coil, no guess work needed. You can turn up the disc to knock out ringpulls, foil etc if you really wanted.
So I'm well impressed with this setup, loved every minute of the 2hrs and could have spent the whole day at it, a joy using the right tool for the job!

December 04, 2016 05:06PM
Nice!

I have been thinking about the 13" coil as well. I was originally hesitant because I was worried about ground balancing such a large coil. Now I'm torn toward purchasing a new coil or upgrading to a newer machine. It not that my current machine has a problem, it's that I now know what the potential of the Nexus is.

How is the ground in your area and how difficult is it to ground balance?
Don.
December 04, 2016 05:18PM
Don, on all my machines the ground reads med/high mineralisation, i found this coil more stable and easier to use in operation and no problem to GB. I actually think the window of adjustment to get a good GB is wider with this coil.
December 04, 2016 09:11PM
Nexus has some pretty interesting detectors, have been eyeing them for years. 2017 may be the year I try one out. Probably the Credo DDM.

Just to let you guys know Georgi is now only making the detectors on a per order basis to dealers and individuals. Plan ahead if you think you want to order one.

Nexus are supposed to be excellent relic detectors, not so much trashy park, schoolyard detectors.

If Keith gets one and likes it for relic hunting.................others will as well.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
December 04, 2016 10:10PM
Very Generous...!!

I wished I lived closer too...Just to be able to hunt yalls history ..Lifelong dream ..

Yes!! thanks for the Video...I like it! Very simplistic to boot...I'm not big on complicated units....

maybe when I get some closet goodies sold off I will pick one up!!

Thanks

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
December 05, 2016 02:25AM
That is a very good review of the 13'' coil,i have the 10'' 7khz coil on my MP and dual 9'' on the SE which run @6.8khz both are superb for deep pasture sites,but the 13'' coil i think could unlock the full potential of the Nexus MP,only used the machine a few times mainly for testing,but one could say it slightly deeper than my Deus by just a small amount winking smiley

When using a Nexus its not your usual switch on and go type of machine,but if you spend the time and get them setup right for that specific site that you are working on,then it will rewards you with the finds that others just cannot reach.I am not saying they are the best machines on the planet,after all a detector is just mainly a big lump of plastic/alloy and some electronics inside and does nothing by itself but if you are a detectorist that likes to get the best out of a detector and likes a 'challenge' then a Nexus could be for you,but if you are just a switch on and go detectorist then these are not for you.

Christmas is just around the corner and the wife has just mentioned what i would like,on that list is a new 13'' and 7'' coils for the MP.

Once again thanks for the review of the 13'' coil.
December 05, 2016 07:48PM
[youtu.be]

No problem Junk, looking forward to your report on the MP
I was worried that a large coil @6khz would miss the small coins, even hunting in all metal i wasn't digging small foil or other non ferrous items any smaller than coin size, so how was it expected to find a small coin!

So i air tested the smallest coin i have a 10mm Roman, the video link is above.
December 06, 2016 02:21PM
ghound Wrote:
> [youtu.be]
>
> No problem Junk, looking forward to your report on
> the MP
> I was worried that a large coil @6khz would miss
> the small coins, even hunting in all metal i
> wasn't digging small foil or other non ferrous
> items any smaller than coin size, so how was it
> expected to find a small coin!
>
> So i air tested the smallest coin i have a 10mm
> Roman, the video link is above.

I still think that Nexus are the best Pro series detectors made,, They are a step up from the Pro hobby market, And the price of the Nexus is less than what you would pay for a lot of other machines,