Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

look at this monster hoard of coins

Posted by diggers 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
look at this monster hoard of coins
November 16, 2016 02:49PM
[www.itv.com]

More than 1000 silver coins, buried during the English Civil War, have been found near Ewerby in Lincolnshire.

The remarkable discovery was made by Steven Ingram, who was searching a ploughed field near the village. The coins were scattered throughout the soil, but fragments of the pot they were originally contained in were found nearby.

The land is owned by local farmer Chris Sardeson:

"I've worked this field for more than 50 years, so no-one is more surprised than me!"

– Chris Sardeson

just shows how hard to hit the right spot if it took 50 years to find
Re: look at this monster hoard of coins
November 16, 2016 03:14PM
That was found pretty recently and was shown on FaceAche,its a stunning hoard find for sure and will command a decent price when it finally comes up for appraisal,as i read the last comment in the opening post the 'Landowner' has worked the land for 50 years and not the actual detectorist,when you sit and drive around in a tractor you dont have a clue what is under the ground as such,its only when a tractor and plough go down deep enough and clips the top off a hoard pot that a detectorist will start finding a few scattered coins.

Not sure how deep the actual hoard was but usually when buried they are normally in the 15''-24'' depth range of a man laying down and placing a container at arms length into the dug hole,that is of course just rough guide figures on how deep hoards are usually found.
November 16, 2016 03:14PM
WOW!!!
November 16, 2016 04:09PM
Thanks for posting it, Some how this one slipped by me, this is the first I have heard of it,

John.
November 22, 2016 02:28AM
Sweet!!!

Thanks for sharing..

Wish I lived over there..

ONE DAY!!

I plan on spending a few months abroad...maybe every so often..LOL!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
November 22, 2016 05:17AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sweet!!!
>
> Thanks for sharing..
>
> Wish I lived over there..
>
> ONE DAY!!
>
> I plan on spending a few months abroad...maybe
> every so often..LOL!!
>
> Keith

Come over for a few weeks, we'll give room and board, and me and J&D can find you a place to swing a Coil.

John.