Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Forum on FIRE

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Forum on FIRE
February 09, 2011 02:21AM
As you folks may have witnessed......the traffic on this site has vastly expanded. I am having to re-think, reconsider......and prudently act upon....just HOW I can (most effectively) handle/react/respond to all of this increased traffic. I can no longer keep up with every post.......and must 'efficientize' my time.........to most properly serve/provide you guys with 'the best approach' data. It bothers me to give 'short' answers....due to the requirement to respond to (and divide time between) as many posts as possible. I will do my best to remain 'technical'.

Also, I am inundated with so many private messages (PM's) and private e-mails.......that I hardly have time to post/respond on this forum. PM's keep me off of this forum. TRY to keep your questions on the forum if possible.....instead of PM's.

We are having a blast!
Re: Forum on FIRE
February 09, 2011 02:47AM
Aww, come on, man. You don't have time to keep answering all of our questions? You make it sound like you have more important things to do. What, are you a rocket scientist or something? Oh, wait... smiling smiley Joking of course!

Seriously, though, I for one am supremely grateful to have found this site, and especially to have someone with your knowledge be as down-to-earth and willing to share with us as you have been. I know saying "thanks" doesn't solve the problem any, but I am and will be grateful for each and every time you share the technical info with us. Please, if my vote counts at all, don't "dumb it down" in the interest of trying to answer every post. I personally would much rather have you post less frequently, but with the same depth of knowledge, than have you try to answer them all but with more general comments. You being so willing, and so able, to provide that "extra" in terms of deep, technical info is truly, IMO, what makes this website/forum so unique!

Thank you!

Steve Goss

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2011 05:03AM by steveg.
February 09, 2011 02:53AM
been on here a long time and yes, the increase in traffic has exploded in the last few months! as for the pms and e-mails i have an idea..........
chuck.
February 09, 2011 03:00AM
“When words are scarce they are seldom spent in vain”.......William Shakespeare

Tom, your short answers must have been what Shakespeare was referring to!!

Dave
February 09, 2011 03:10AM
Tom, I can tell you for sure that this forum has been indispensable to me for detecting. You are greatly appreciated by all that follow it. I lurk most of the time, but read carefully what you say, and re-play my dvds regularly. I've been detecting for many years, but have learned more from you sharing your wisdom & experiences the past couple of years, than I thought possible. I now exclusively use an F75LTD and a CZ3-D, and am making more good finds in bad areas than ever in the past.
Thanks & HH,
Mike
February 09, 2011 03:32AM
spring is almost here, so we will be out detecting and trying out all the new things we read here
February 09, 2011 04:54AM
Well Tom----I'm going to make this "short and sweet"!!-----Not only are you VERY knowledgable & willing to share your knowledge but you are REALLY a nice guy to boot.----and yes, we are ALL having "a blast".----------God Bless, Del
I completely agree with Steve G................
February 09, 2011 05:00AM
Much rather see 'less quantity' from Tom...........in order to preserve Tom's 'high quality'.

Although we forum members are partially to blame. We tell fellow detectorists to come to this site, for the best information available. And thats not meant to "butter Tom's bread". Simply a fact.smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2011 05:04AM by TerraDigger.
February 09, 2011 07:17AM
Tom...this forum stands as a unique application of good sense, forthright even-handed managerial style, and quality responses by you and others. On the sunny side, its a very nice issue to face all things considered. Enjoy...and keep those great posts coming...Jim.
February 09, 2011 08:11AM
TerraDigger is right -- it's how and why I ended up here. It's HIS fault! smiling smiley

HumblePie also makes a good point IMO. I guess if there is going to be an "issue" with the forum, this is probably the best "issue" to have...

Steve
February 09, 2011 02:01PM
I have to wear my boots when on most of the other forums cuz the Bull-%#!! can get pretty deep!... Makes for some interesting/entertaining reading at times and fun to "stir-the pot" once in a while...When I need to sort through info/ FACTS, I come here!...Thanks Tom! Great site loaded with Great info!... and helpful members too!....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2011 02:05PM by M-scope.
February 09, 2011 02:12PM
You said it M-scope, I am so sick of the other sites where the posters are finding shiny copper colored IH pennies and silver colored buffalo nickels. Once I see pictures like that how am I supposed to believe another word the guy says. Tom's site gives me exactly what I need and what I want, the brutally honest truth. Why else does Tom spend so much time instructing us on how to see through iron and give in depth instruction on getting the most out of our machines? Because in the real world of detecting most spots have had a detector run over them and the easy targets are long gone.
February 09, 2011 07:27PM
I am another newcomer that enjoys reading the posts here. What attracted me here was the information on the CZ3D. When I was researching for a newer unit to buy, I needed real info to make a informed decision. My suggestion [and I'm sure a rocket scientist like Tom has thought of this] is to assemble info on various detectors and common subjects under titles that are obvious so it is easier to research the site. I bet there are people that are just researching and the info is already in the site somewhere......that way you don't have so many recurring questions about the same thing. I am probably stating the obvious....what isn't obvious is who has the time to do it?
Sure have learned a lot here and look forward to warm weather to get the cz out and into action!
Thank you, Tom, and forum members.....
February 10, 2011 12:19AM
THANKS GUYS!

Yes, "quality" vs quantity has.....and will always......be my motto.

And yes......I do find myself repeating myself...............which; in turn......eats up my time... preventing additional technical "quality" posts. HELP!
February 10, 2011 01:17AM
Tom, can you create an additional forum off the Home Page for 'stickies'?
February 10, 2011 10:31PM
?????????
February 11, 2011 01:06AM
Finally, a question that baffled Tom. LOL!!
I recommend.......
February 11, 2011 01:16AM
that due to the high intelligence of the moderator and users.........we call them 'adhesives'..instead of 'stickies'..........smiling smiley (simply for humor's sake)
Just so we here at Dankowski's forum can be 'different' from other forums.......lol

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2011 07:18PM by TerraDigger.
February 12, 2011 03:09AM
I agree - an FAQ of sorts would be useful.

It would be interesting, Tom, to show the other forums that you can also make money with honesty. If I were you, I'd take on some advertisers that are ok with that stance. I believe you could make yourself some nice cash in the process.
February 12, 2011 03:36AM
I'm about to launch a sales 'test'. But, I must say this: I'm certainly not in it for money; rather, for folks to have absolutely validated units for a multiplicity of reasons.

1. Confidence instillment
2. Best possible chance to find exceptional targets
3. Exposure to current maximum technological advancement
4. Best chance for a individual into hobby retention
5. Maximum historical recovery effeciency
6. Seriousness of this so-called 'hobby'
7. Enjoyment of a truly good product

........and a bunch more.
I am volunteering my T2......its brand new
February 12, 2011 03:44AM
I got the first request....lol
Wait...whats the cost? smiling smiley
Does it invalidate the warranty?
Re: V3i, SE Pro (new last year), Excalibur 1000 (new) & Etrac on the way. Take your pick...
February 12, 2011 03:49AM
I don't care what it costs, count me in...

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2011 04:01AM by Aaron.
Re: V3i, SE Pro (new last year), Excalibur 1000 (new) & Etrac on the way. Take your pick...
February 12, 2011 08:32AM
i'm in!

(h.h!)
j.t.
February 12, 2011 01:58PM
This site has recently become the "standard reference" for the F70.

We need a dedicated sticky forum Wally!
February 12, 2011 03:08PM
What is a "sticky" and an "adhesive"? Is it a "post-it-note"? I'm inside a closet in a coal mine here.
February 12, 2011 03:22PM
A "sticky" is a forum posting that stays at the top and never drops as newer posts are created. These are usually posts that are deemed important or often referenced.

I like the idea of another forum being created under Tom's home page containing just "stickies".
February 12, 2011 04:06PM
Ahhhhh, like at the F**ds Forum, gotcha. Thanks go-rebels.
February 12, 2011 09:56PM
I would suggest creating separate categories for the different detectors that Tom has tested with the information in each. This would allow new members to look for info on their own. This could also be a "sticky" as mentioned earlier. This would help Tom from answering the same questions time and time again. Just a thought.

Thanks for sharing your time and knowledge with everyone, Tom!

"Happy hunting" - Schultzie
Re: I am volunteering my T2......its brand new
February 12, 2011 11:26PM
TerraD., I think we've misunderstood Tom, I think he is talking about selling new machines that he has checked out, calibrated and approved.
Sounds like a good idea...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2011 11:46PM by Aaron.
February 13, 2011 12:23AM
Tom ,
I like your idea , and would like to add a comment if I may ....How about a sliding scale ?

A) Machine thoroughly checked out to peform as indicated by the manufacturer

cool smiley Same machine with mod I

C) Same machine with mod I and mod II

We all know that you can do some really NICE work on detectors , and can help to give us the advantage or having a totally modded and tweaked machine , and this would also help in supporting your ongoing efforts to the betterment of our hobbie ..... What could be better than owning a Dankowski machine ? .......Thanks for looking ...Sincerely, Jim