Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I hope you Southeastern hunters have been taking advantage of this drought

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I hope you Southeastern hunters have been taking advantage of this drought
November 27, 2016 05:08AM
The super dry soil is really letting me hear the targets in between the Iron..

the Iron leaching is at a minimum right now...

Take advantage while you can!!

little foliage and dry ground... NICE!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
Re: I hope you Southeastern hunters have been taking advantage of this drought
November 27, 2016 05:10AM
Keith, I think you found all the relics. winking smiley
November 27, 2016 06:16AM
Dry ground is locking up the deep relics out here in PA, MD, WV. Bring on a soaking rain I say.
November 27, 2016 09:05AM
Will be visiting a favorite ghost town tomorrow to see what happens. It has been heavily overgrown over last few years and of course loaded with iron. i haven't seen any measurable rain in south GA since hurricane Hermine came through here on September 2nd. Yes, this is as dry as I have seen it get in my 46 years!

Walt,

From the GA-FL line

Silver microMax, CTX 3030, Excal 2, ATPro

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2016 09:13AM by Fletch88.
Much prefer too have damp ground rather than bone dry,my opinion is that you can get a deeper signal,my prime detecting time is from September through till March here in the UK then the crops really start growing,pasture holds moisture for far longer time duration.One of the worst types of soil that i find is when the ground has just be ploughed and rolled and its what i call 'fluffy' due to air in the soil,alot of detectors just hate it especially machines like Minelab etc.

Give me a nice field that has had rain on it anyday over a bone dry field,just my personal opinion of course.
November 27, 2016 11:38AM
Hunted for the last three days and it's a matter of getting to the targets once located. Left several after pulling a two piece button that was hammered. Past 4-5" and your chipping more than digging a nice plug, in some cases not even that deep. Up in the hills not as bad. Separation is a good thing but at this point I would like to see the rain lol
November 27, 2016 02:40PM
I watched what I hope was just two eagle buttons explode after being chipped from the ground. The super dry conditions are rough on fragile things in the ground; well at least our digging methods for extracting them from the ground is. One of the two = destroyed fragile relics no matter how careful you try to be. Although Monday, I will be hunting some of the dried up creek beds that normally have water in them. I guess that could also be an advantage.
November 27, 2016 03:11PM
Although I mainly hunt for old coins, I have felt for some time that coins give a smaller more distinct thunk in dry ground, hence being able to get on them easier in between trash items. I suspect there is a little depth loss on some of the coin varieties as less halo effect may occur. The big draw back is the tough digging and some spots becoming off limits not wanting to leave brown spots. HH jim tn
November 27, 2016 04:07PM
I feel all depends on what unit you are using...personally prefer wet ground...and hunting just after an electrical storm gets the deep coins...as far as relics dunno....
November 27, 2016 07:48PM
we are in a dust bowl, we need rain bad!! i got two pits to finish digging, it got to hard to even dig them out.
November 27, 2016 07:58PM
I like moist ground but have hunted when the iron flakes are starting to turn to soup and I dig a ton of iron that sounds great but out of that I have found a few guns and locks and axe heads

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
November 28, 2016 03:03AM
I was mainly talking Masked..But seems we want to talk depth too LOL!!

Heres some food for thought ..

I have High iron dirt at times 5 bars...and one of the deepest machines I've ever ran in this 5bar dirt was a 1266 when it was scorched earth dry...fixed ground balance and bleedy filter...hard digging but deepies came alive on that dry ground original bleed filter circuit...

it was about as deep in scorched earth as it was in lower 1 or2 bar dirt that was wet..

that high iron mineral when its wet really can become a hinderance..

But back to original thoughts use whatever mother nature throws at you as a advantage not a disadvantage..
right now in the last 6 weeks I have dug a steady stream of targets in some bad iron that sounded clean and tight...easy to pick out of you will..mostly small stuff to boot...waych keys p caps small pistol bullets etc..

just make sure you dig a wide hole.and if it's entombed in concrete wait till you get to some water before cracking tomb open!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
November 28, 2016 06:50AM
I remember my CZ did well plucking out coins from nail infested fields when the ground was dry.
November 30, 2016 02:07AM
Hi All, there is a 1266 on Ebay now. I think buy it now is only $ 54.00.
November 30, 2016 02:40AM
November 30, 2016 02:51AM
Other than digging in the woods, it's like trying to dig through an asphalt driveway everywhere else. I'm waiting for the rain. It's been two months.
November 30, 2016 05:39AM
My area received lots of moisture the past 2 days. It's just a question of finding the opportunity to get out.
December 01, 2016 01:09AM
We sure got more than we bargained for. The Gatlinburg area of TN was burning down yesterday and my area got slammed with storms and confirmed tornados last night. Not sure if it was just one that hopped or two different ones but it hit too close to home. Lots of trees down on my place and one of my goat hutches was flipped and sitting in some trees but no damage to my house. My neighbors had trees down, their barn exploded, and house damage....the end of my road got the worse of it about 1/4 to 1/2 mile from me. Several businesses leveled and homes too. 20 or so injured but haven't heard of any fatalities as of yet. Been without power since 1 a.m....about 18 hours now. Probably gonna lose the perishable items in the fridge but considering what others have lost...that's not anything to complain about. Went to town to get supplies and was able to charge my phone while driving and do a quick post to let folks we are OK. Just roughin it tonight with battery lights and worse of all...no fan noise to sleep with.
December 01, 2016 08:04AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We sure got more than we bargained for. The
> Gatlinburg area of TN was burning down yesterday
> and my area got slammed with storms and confirmed
> tornados last night. Not sure if it was just one
> that hopped or two different ones but it hit too
> close to home. Lots of trees down on my place and
> one of my goat hutches was flipped and sitting in
> some trees but no damage to my house. My neighbors
> had trees down, their barn exploded, and house
> damage....the end of my road got the worse of it
> about 1/4 to 1/2 mile from me. Several businesses
> leveled and homes too. 20 or so injured but
> haven't heard of any fatalities as of yet. Been
> without power since 1 a.m....about 18 hours now.
> Probably gonna lose the perishable items in the
> fridge but considering what others have
> lost...that's not anything to complain about. Went
> to town to get supplies and was able to charge my
> phone while driving and do a quick post to let
> folks we are OK. Just roughin it tonight with
> battery lights and worse of all...no fan noise to
> sleep with.

Stay safe.
December 02, 2016 12:26AM
Dang Daniel..

Hang in there hope it gets better!!

we had tornadoes down here yesterday also..

Bad shape in Gatlinburg..

hope for them to also be safe!!

Keith

-Nikola Tesla