Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

CZ 5 Iron Discrimination

Posted by yorkshire_rich 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
CZ 5 Iron Discrimination
February 28, 2007 10:20PM
Hi Tom/All

Should i be able to dial out iron on my cz5?I have read they like iron nails etc and i keep digging various iron stuff up.I run my cz in 'ID'mode, sensitivity at 4,discrimination on the ring pull setting(1 click past iron),always ground balance the push button method 1.
Is the iron problem due to the halo effect/oxidation bleeding into soil?The iron items i have dug are nearly all rusted through nails or heavy wire.

I am a novice so help would be great.
Re: CZ 5 Iron Discrimination
March 05, 2007 04:05AM
Hi Rich,

I STRONGLY recommend running your Disc on '0' and listening to ALL of the tones. For now,,,, I recommend that you dig/recover only the 4-way repeating signals (left-right-fore-aft). After a bit of experience..... then you can recover the 3-way..... then the 2-way repeatable tones. Time/experience will prevail.

H.I.H.

Tom
March 05, 2007 07:09PM
Hi Tom

Thanks for your advice i shall give it a try next time out.I have just got permission on a local church site dating back to 1100 a.d. and will let you know if i have any good finds.I managed to wangle permission from the Verger in return for picking up litter.Cleared 5 bags of trash so far and still got half the site to clear.I've been raking along the walls with visions of hammered coins rushing through my mind.I have 'The Bug'now!!!!
March 05, 2007 07:51PM
..... FYI,,, many/most of the older coins at your 1100AD Church site will most probably ID as a pull-tab mid-tone. Beware!

H.I.H.
March 05, 2007 10:38PM
Hi Tom

Thanks, i'll listen out for for the mid-tone.I plan on marking out sections and taking things very steady.Getting some pics of the site tomorrow to study against the Parish records and web site info i have.
I will let you know how it goes and thanks again for the sound advice.