Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Just got a good deal on a Nokta Fors Relic

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Just got a good deal on a Nokta Fors Relic
November 29, 2016 06:46PM
I am at some weird stage of life were I am just not all fired up with my hobbies like I was. And it's not a good place to be. I am trying to get fired back up. I also got some new WS-5 headphones for my XP Deus. I cannot give a review of them 'cause I ain't used 'em yet. But they sure set comfortable upon my mis-shapen head...lol........sigh.....
Anyway, the good news. I have an Fors Relic on the way. It comes with the extra 5" coil, and the 11x7 coil is standard. I think that there are some Black Friday goodies in there as well. Not sure. It was a demo model. Anyway, I'll put it through it's paces and if I like it..........(given my past record) I'll sell it and buy something else.
The Deus will stay 'cause I'm finally beginning to scratch the surface of learning it well.
Re: Just got a good deal on a Nokta Fors Relic
November 29, 2016 06:56PM
I love mine, and congrats, I got a deal on a big coil if you maybe looking for one, it is posted on the forum
November 29, 2016 07:02PM
Congrats, The Relic is one of the top machines out there so you should do well,

HH

John.
November 29, 2016 07:09PM
Cannot comment about the Fors Relic but i certainly do like the WS5 headphones on the Deus as the main setup,i do also have the WS4 headphones but just carry them as a backup just incase,but i also carry another option for not only the Deus but for basically any machine is the XP 'wired' headphones,they are about as cheap as you can get a set of headphones but the sound reproduction is possibly better than many of the higher end costing headphones,i would suggest using them for summer use and backup rather than everyday use as they are not as well built as other expensive ones.But if you take care with your equipment they will last a long time and give you perfect audio as well.
November 29, 2016 10:38PM
Kevin B Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am at some weird stage of life were I am just
> not all fired up with my hobbies like I was. And
> it's not a good place to be. I am trying to get
> fired back up. I also got some new WS-5
> headphones for my XP Deus. I cannot give a review
> of them 'cause I ain't used 'em yet. But they
> sure set comfortable upon my mis-shapen
> head...lol........sigh.....
> Anyway, the good news. I have an Fors Relic on
> the way. It comes with the extra 5" coil, and the
> 11x7 coil is standard. I think that there are some
> Black Friday goodies in there as well. Not sure.
> It was a demo model. Anyway, I'll put it through
> it's paces and if I like it..........(given my
> past record) I'll sell it and buy something else.
> The Deus will stay 'cause I'm finally beginning
> to scratch the surface of learning it well.

Kevin----Give us a report on the Relic & let us know what you think of it ---asap!-------I, for one am "chompin at tha bit" wanting to hear what you got to say about it!------Let us know how you think it "stacks up" compared to that Deus you have.---------------Del
November 30, 2016 06:14AM
Kevin sorry to hear about the doldrums in the hobby bud.

Congrats of the FR. I run mine with the 5x10 or for the crazy stuff the 5". Called and spoke to Monte while in the field one day and he really put me a step ahead in the learning curve but still more to go lol. Can't wait to hear what you come up with, let us know.
November 30, 2016 09:08PM
Thanks to each of you who replied. I will publish (post) my results.....firstly, in my test garden. Shortly after, at my hunting places. I am going to TRY and do some side by side testing between the Deus and the Fors Relic. Should be fun and eye opening. Merry Christmas guys. Kevin
December 02, 2016 12:35AM
Relic is very much a Great Relic unit...Great coil choices..

Thought your were holding off Kevin?? LOL!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
December 02, 2016 03:23PM
Kevin B
I am at some weird stage of life were I am just not all fired up with my hobbies like I was. And it's not a good place to be. I am trying to get fired back up.
Kevin, I think we can all go through different 'stages' of momentary frustration or depression with a hobby, but it can usually be addressed with a little effort. I started out basically Coin Hunting like almost everyone did back in the mid-'60s, and folks getting into this hobby today have no idea, and can hardly imagine the vast quantity of coins that were easily found and recovered back then and through the '70s and even most of the '80s.

Coin count tallies on a daily or weekly or monthly bases started to gradually decline in number by '90 compared with what I could achieve in '71, even though we had far superior detector technology, search modes, target ID, Tone ID, Ground Balance and much more comfortable packaging to handle. The last year I tallied over 10K coins was 1998 when I hit 12,479 .... and by comparison, they were hard-earned as well. Nothing like the 60K to 130K that was findable in a year during the '70s to early '80s, depending on if I worked regular time or a lot of overtime or a double job that limited my detecting schedule.

We coin counts dwindled to 15% or 20% of what I used to have fun finding, hunting all the same sites or same types of urban sites, that can get you into a 'weird stage of life' with the hobby. I was kind of bummed with getting out for much 'traditional' Coin & Jewelry Hunting and slacked off even thinking about it until about this time of year in 1997. Fortunately for me, I was able to still enjoy relic hunting, which I started doing in May of '69, and it picked up in mid-'83 when we got better detectors for handling dense iron littered old town sites, homesteads, encampment sites, etc., etc.

I hadn't lost ALL my metal detecting desire, just kind of down in the dumps with Coin Hunting. So it was the period between Thanksgiving and Christmas in '97, when quite a few of my Relic Hunting sites were not easily accessible that I gave thought to getting fired back up on Coin Hunting urban sites as they were plentiful, and there was much less competition that in earlier years as the detecting hobby had started its decline in interest to folks. I decided to set a few goals. such as an annual coin tally, and also a daily goal when I set out to try and reach at least a certain coin count based on the season and available daylight and hunting weather/temperatures. That's when I made the 1998 coin tally happen.

Just one idea that might help. Naturally another good way is to start working with and learning a new detector or two. hot smiley

Kevin B
Anyway, the good news. I have an Fors Relic on the way. It comes with the extra 5" coil, and the 11x7 coil is standard.
In my personal, biased opinion you are getting one of the best all-purpose detectors on the market today, especially for Relic Hunting tasks in iron infested sites.

Kevin B
I'll put it through it's paces and if I like it..........(given my past record) I'll sell it and buy something else.
If you like it you'll sell it? confused smiley You lost me on that one. I will suggest, however, that while the Relic is a very straight-forward detector, it still should demand ample time to learn it and get to know it well. Don't be in any great haste to like or dislike this unit.

Kevin B
The Deus will stay 'cause I'm finally beginning to scratch the surface of learning it well.
If you have spent enough time to start to learn the Deus, to the point you are just scratching the surface of learning, then it is even more important to put in plenty of hands-on time with the Relic. Use it afield at the same sites you hunt with the Deus, and try to work as many side-by-side comparisons as you can. It will maybe help you learn the Deus more, and definitely let you learn and appreciate the Relic. Might even consider adjusting your detector selection a bit to make the Relic a primary pick and the Deus a 'back-up' model .... unless you opt to just get rid of the Deus, and I know several people who have done just that.

Kevin B
Thanks to each of you who replied. I will publish (post) my results.....firstly, in my test garden. Shortly after, at my hunting places.
Do the test garden, side-by-side, then work it afield plenty before to pass judgment on the Relic. I will look forward to your comments however.

Kevin B
I am going to TRY and do some side by side testing between the Deus and the Fors Relic. Should be fun and eye opening.
Yes, I do believe it will be 'eye opening,' in many ways the more you use it.

Kevin B
Merry Christmas guys. Kevin
And the same to you! get to know the Relic and treat yourself to a gift of an additional search coil to complement the Relic by adding either a 5½X10 DD or 5½X10 Concentric coil. I keep a 5½X10 Concentric on one of my Relic's so it is ready-to-grab when needed. A nice complement to the 5½", which I use most often because I hunt in very trashy places, or the 7X11 that works fine for more open areas with fewer nearby targets.

Monte