Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I am officially ready for.....DETECTING SEASON

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I am officially ready for.....DETECTING SEASON
December 03, 2016 09:49PM
And I have, at my disposal, two units: The XP Deus w/ WS-5 headphones (they sound AWESOME and feel GREAT) and the Nokta FORS Relic, which I purchased in North GA. It is a 19 KHz machine that I have yet to take to my test garden due to a lot of rain (thank GOD for the rain!!!!) No real point to this post, except to say that I hope to see many great finds, many 'firsts' finds for all of you and myself. I am going to spend the next several days (deer season is still open here) running both units over my test garden and taking notes and trying to apply the 'scientific method' while comparing both units in my test garden: bullets, buttons, a coin or two, and attempting to remain fully unbiased. I certainly am NOT a Deus 'fanboy' ....as such, but I have developed a lot of confidence with the Deus during the Detecting Season of last year. But, I am an official 'fanboy' ..........OF WHAT WORKS. If that means selling my Deus (9 inch coil) and it's pretty new headphones in favor of my Nokta Relic, then so be it. Hopefully I can keep them both. Keith Southern once told me that the Nokta FORS Relic is like a Fisher F-19 or Teknetics G2 "on steroids". And, as I was always a very big fan of the Tek G2 (even with it's depth limitations, it still found me a lot of stuff) , the idea of a 19 KHz machine that is sparky is very appealing to me. I'll have great fun taking it back to some sites that have only seen 12,13, and 14 and even 15 KHz machines swang over them. Should be interesting.
I am still very curious/intrigued at what difference the frequency of any given detector really makes. Reason I say this is because, I can change frequencies on my Deus while swinging over a target and there not be much change......that I can detect with my hearing. But I will not engage in my test between these 2 units (Deus and Relic) with bias because I am not emotionally attached. So......I will amuse myself with some test garden 'tests'. But when all is said and done.....it's about having fun.....about being kind to one another irrespective of opinion. We have enough division in this country as it is. So, we Metal Detectorist should be sticking together......being happy when someone other than ourselves makes an awesome find. Okay. I'm losing your attention so I'll end this post on that note. I sincerely wish all of you guys and gals (I certainly hope that we have some lady Detectorists on the Forum) a VERY MERRY CHRISTmas. Kevin
Re: I am officially ready for.....DETECTING SEASON
December 03, 2016 10:30PM
Oh good---you have the Relic in your possession now Kevin!-----Let's here about your test garden tests between the two (Deus & Relic) asap--please.------And a very merry CHRISTmas to you also!-------------Del
December 03, 2016 11:02PM
I look forward to hearing about your tests and wish you a Merry Christmas as well Kevin. Hoping to find a new 6" coil under the tree for my newest toy, the CTX this Christmas as well...Stuart
December 03, 2016 11:22PM
Kevin B Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And I have, at my disposal, two units: The XP Deus
> w/ WS-5 headphones (they sound AWESOME and feel
> GREAT) and the Nokta FORS Relic, which I purchased
> in North GA. It is a 19 KHz machine that I have
> yet to take to my test garden due to a lot of rain
> (thank GOD for the rain!!!!) No real point to
> this post, except to say that I hope to see many
> great finds, many 'firsts' finds for all of you
> and myself. I am going to spend the next several
> days (deer season is still open here) running both
> units over my test garden and taking notes and
> trying to apply the 'scientific method' while
> comparing both units in my test garden: bullets,
> buttons, a coin or two, and attempting to remain
> fully unbiased. I certainly am NOT a Deus
> 'fanboy' ....as such, but I have developed a lot
> of confidence with the Deus during the Detecting
> Season of last year. But, I am an official
> 'fanboy' ..........OF WHAT WORKS. If that means
> selling my Deus (9 inch coil) and it's pretty new
> headphones in favor of my Nokta Relic, then so be
> it. Hopefully I can keep them both. Keith
> Southern once told me that the Nokta FORS Relic is
> like a Fisher F-19 or Teknetics G2 "on steroids".
> And, as I was always a very big fan of the Tek G2
> (even with it's depth limitations, it still found
> me a lot of stuff) , the idea of a 19 KHz machine
> that is sparky is very appealing to me. I'll have
> great fun taking it back to some sites that have
> only seen 12,13, and 14 and even 15 KHz machines
> swang over them. Should be interesting.
> I am still very curious/intrigued at what
> difference the frequency of any given detector
> really makes. Reason I say this is because, I
> can change frequencies on my Deus while swinging
> over a target and there not be much
> change......that I can detect with my hearing.
> But I will not engage in my test between these 2
> units (Deus and Relic) with bias because I am not
> emotionally attached. So......I will amuse myself
> with some test garden 'tests'. But when all is
> said and done.....it's about having fun.....about
> being kind to one another irrespective of opinion.
> We have enough division in this country as it is.
> So, we Metal Detectorist should be sticking
> together......being happy when someone other than
> ourselves makes an awesome find. Okay. I'm losing
> your attention so I'll end this post on that note.
> I sincerely wish all of you guys and gals (I
> certainly hope that we have some lady Detectorists
> on the Forum) a VERY MERRY CHRISTmas. Kevin

Congrats on your Nokta relic unit.

A bit sparkier than Deus in and around iron.

As far as Deus,,sounding the same or there a bouts,,when changing freqs,,,,targets heavily masks,,,big difference between say 4khz and 18khz.
Many targets can be had using Deus in 18khz vs 4khz, 8khz, and 12khz.

Cheers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2016 11:23PM by tnsharpshooter.
December 04, 2016 09:07AM
Kevin B
And I have, at my disposal, two units: The XP Deus w/ WS-5 headphones (they sound AWESOME and feel GREAT) and the Nokta FORS Relic, which I purchased in North GA. It is a 19 KHz machine that I have yet to take to my test garden due to a lot of rain (thank GOD for the rain!!!!)
Yes, rain and eventual snow melt is a good thing here as well since we've 'enjoyed' several years of drought conditions. I, like others, look forward to your comments on comparing these two models. While I do have my bias, I also have an open mind to others opinions about two top-end models on the market.

Kevin B
No real point to this post, except to say that I hope to see many great finds, many 'firsts' finds for all of you and myself.
I share the same 'best wishes for the coming year' for others, too, ... and I do include myself in the hopes of some new 'firsts' for me. There really are not a lot of them, except the wish and hope to find the one coin I desire most to chance upon, a nice US silver 20ยข piece

Kevin B
I am going to spend the next several days running both units over my test garden and taking notes and trying to apply the 'scientific method' while comparing both units in my test garden: bullets, buttons, a coin or two, and attempting to remain fully unbiased.
Make sure you compare the Relic using ALL search modes. Easy to change from one-to-the-other during a hunt or test, and you can save all your programs for each mode as you prefer.

Kevin B
I certainly am NOT a Deus 'fanboy' ....as such, but I have developed a lot of confidence with the Deus during the Detecting Season of last year.
A positive approach to be using one detector you have confidence in rather than two units you are totally unfamiliar with. This ought to be interesting as time goes by.

Kevin B
But, I am an official 'fanboy' ..........OF WHAT WORKS.
thumbs down My feelings exactly!

Kevin B
If that means selling my Deus (9 inch coil) and it's pretty new headphones in favor of my Nokta Relic, then so be it. Hopefully I can keep them both. Keith Southern once told me that the Nokta FORS Relic is like a Fisher F-19 or Teknetics G2 "on steroids".
Proof in that statement that even Keith can make an underestimated comment. grinning smiley The G2+ and F19 are the same guts, just like the Gold Bug Pro and original G2 are the same. I used to own and use a G2 and it was 'OK' but had some limitations. I owned two F19's to check for any improvements, and found them, but also some weaknesses. My 15 kHz FORS CoRe gave me better all-around performance, then came along the FORS Relic and for Relic Hunting iron littered sites, it easily out-performed the other 19 kHz models from Fisher/Teknetics.

Kevin B
And, as I was always a very big fan of the Tek G2 (even with it's depth limitations, it still found me a lot of stuff), the idea of a 19 KHz machine that is sparky is very appealing to me. I'll have great fun taking it back to some sites that have only seen 12,13, and 14 and even 15 KHz machines swang over them. Should be interesting.
Ample time afield for serious comparisons is always a good thing to better understand a new-to-you detector.

Kevin B
I am still very curious/intrigued at what difference the frequency of any given detector really makes.
At times I have used some makes and models with a higher or lower frequency than what I was comfortable with and had improved performance or degraded performance. While operating frequency might have some goods and bads to it, we can't forget the rest of the circuitry design. It's not just the frequency, but how the entire 'package' can perform for our needs.

Kevin B
Reason I say this is because, I can change frequencies on my Deus while swinging over a target and there not be much change......that I can detect with my hearing. But I will not engage in my test between these 2 units (Deus and Relic) with bias because I am not emotionally attached. So......I will amuse myself with some test garden 'tests'. But when all is said and done.....it's about having fun.....about being kind to one another irrespective of opinion. We have enough division in this country as it is. So, we Metal Detectorist should be sticking together......being happy when someone other than ourselves makes an awesome find. Okay. I'm losing your attention so I'll end this post on that note. I sincerely wish all of you guys and gals (I certainly hope that we have some lady Detectorists on the Forum) a VERY MERRY CHRISTmas. Kevin
Wishing you and others the best Christmas and New Year as well. And like you, I also hope there are some dedicated gals monitoring these Forums. We need more people involved in this great sport to keep it alive, and I have to say that my 'Top Ten' favorite people to be hunting with is comprised of at least five or six females. Usually, they are more patient, take learning more serious, and don't get so blasted competitive as I have found so many guys to be.

Unfortunately for me, they are all married and I'd like to find a good gal who shares an equal enjoyment of this great sport who'd like to spend more time with this old phart. Oh, and of my detecting friends of the gentle gender, half of them can usually out-hunt/be more successful than their husbands who, by the way, are also detecting buddies of mine.

Enjoy the season, the coming new year, and learning and enjoying a wonderful Relic Hunting and general purpose FORS Relic.

Monte
December 04, 2016 11:15AM
Monte,

Like you every time I find a seated quarter my heart almost stops as its coming out of the ground hoping for that elusive 20c piece. One can only hope for the new year I suppose.

Kevin,

I own both the Deus and the Relic and they are my main machines. The 5 in round and 5 X 10 coils are a must have. The coil ear broke on my 5 in and trying to get Kellyco to try to take care of it has been almost impossible, hope you don't have the any problems. Will probably have to buy a new one before spring comes, can't go without it.
Where's Kevin & his report???confused smiley
December 10, 2016 04:56AM
We're all ah waitin Kevin!
December 10, 2016 08:25PM
My main detecting season is coming up also. Right now I use 3 detectors to cover most of my hunting. The Deus, a Whites 6000 XL Pro and the Sovereign GT. I live in Washington state and 90% of my hunting are old iron infested logging camps and ghost towns in the thick rain forest areas. I usually have to wait for winter to thin out some of the underbrush. It's still pretty thick and slow going mostly poking in and around the underbrush, giant ferns and fallen trees with short sweeps. I picked up a new Deus a few months back and so far have been pretty impressed using Gary's Sifter Program in the thick iron. I don't hunt parks very much but I did take it to some old Victorian houses with large lawns that I've hunted in the past and was happy with the depth I was getting. The Deus seems to love deep Indian heads and nickles. When hunting in the thick woods the Deus has a lot of pluses. There are no wires to get hung up and I can keep the control in my pocket out of the rain and listen to the tones. The TID is useless in the thick iron anyway. When I need to crawl under low hanging trees to detect I just use the lower shaft like a wand which makes it easy to swing in tight places. I've tried a lot of different detectors through the years for this type of hunting. The Tesoro's have always worked great and the Minelab Musky's are killers for this type of hunting also. Monte turned me on to the Whites IDX Pro with Mr. Bills mods. a few years back and I actually bought my first one from him and I found some great finds with them in the thick iron. People might disagree with me but I've been using the Minelab Sovereigns for years at these sites. Use a small coil and go slow and slower which I have to in the thick brush and they work great in the iron. Some of my best finds have been found with the Sovereign.