Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Found this ...................blast from the past

Posted by Sven1 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Found this ...................blast from the past
December 04, 2016 01:51PM
I'm able to post once again, so figured, would show off what I found.

A vintage Teknetics Mark 1 with the factory hip/chest mount option.
Almost minty if not for some broken battery tabs, which have now been fixed.
After powering it up, found it worked perfectly.
Took it out clad-jewelry hunting for a number of hours, it was a pleasure to use. Nice and stable, like the tones.............

Rigged it up like Steve pictured below

The control box is a bit big and thought chest mounting would not feel to good after a period of time. Hunted for about 2.5 hours rigged up this way. Was that bad, could still read the meter. Swinging the 7" coil was like swinging a paper plate, easy as pie eating.

My biggest issue with chest mounting was using wired headphones. So I grabbed my Deteknix Wire-Free Pro wireless headphones. Plugged in the transmitter. This made the perfect set-up when chest mounting.

The Mark 1 was super easy to set up, threshold is so smooth and stable. .....after initial ground balancing, adjusted it only once. Hunted in Disc mode with the disc setting just into the iron range below foil. And used all metal mode at times to pinpoint or help identify the target.

Nothing coin, jewelry wise at this site is deeper than 5". The Mark 1 had no problems picking up the Canadian clad coins to that depth. Most of the time they gave off a high tone, some gave off a lower tone. After awhile it wasn't to hard to figure out the coins from trash listening to the audio and watching the meter, switching to all metal mode and pinpointing also gave clues. Didn't find too much trash, well didn't dig the low's, have to be somewhat selective in the targets I dig until my sciatic nerve recovers.

So the Mark 1 is a really neat detector, I like it, it's going to make a real good clad hunter.
Did find about $6.00 in change, a small silver soccer ball charm and a choo-choo train pin. Of course dug up a few bottle caps, pulltabs, canslaw and a few pcs of foil.

Amazing how some of these older detectors are fun, nicer to use than many modern day digital detectors. If I get another chance will take it out again.............

Recently picked up a Mark 1 10" coil for it, pretty neat..................deep.

For what I am using the Mark 1 for, it works great. Always wanted to try one back in the day, friend at he time was killing silver coins with one......

I have a list of mods to do to the Mark 1 that is supposed to improve its performance, nice winter project.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2016 03:23PM by Sven1.
Re: Found this ...................blast from the past
December 04, 2016 02:28PM
Not sure if its just me but i cannot see any images of the detectors ??
December 04, 2016 03:21PM
No J&D, all I see is little boxes with a "X" in them,
December 04, 2016 03:24PM
Looked fine on Firefox, checked other browsers, didn't show.
Fixed it now, everyone should be able to see hem.

Works for me
December 04, 2016 09:20PM
That came out in about 1986, if I'm not mistaken. And was revolutionary for its time. Still a good machine for today, but .... some of today's power-houses have it beat on depth nowadays.

And it didn't do that well in bad minerals . Ie.: some states and some grounds caused it to loose depth. Like on wet mineralized salt too, it wasn't too proficient. But for moderate grounds, it was killer . Great sounds/tones.
December 04, 2016 09:37PM
Nice rig ...I liked the Mark 1 a lot in trash..

Give me a some time to get situated (((I have some pre existing detecting requirements going on right now well actually that never stops LOL.. )) I'll post some oldies up also

I even have something that is rare as hens teeth accessory..well maybe a couple things winking smiley

need to sell off some of this stuff LOL..

Good deal on the Mark 1 Sven!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
December 04, 2016 09:43PM
I have a friend that to this day uses a Teknetics Condor. I believe it's similar to the one you have, but he swears that it has the best audio tones of any machine (including Minelabs) and he's even rigged up a bigfoot coil so he can use it in the clubs competition hunts. He kicks ass with it, almost always places in the top 2-3 of club hunts and does well with it hunting his usual haunts. He does also use an Explorer, but loves his Condor.

That control box is so darn large, its akin to something straight out of the 1960's Star Trek series >grinning smiley<
December 05, 2016 12:13AM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That came out in about 1986, if I'm not mistaken.
> And was revolutionary for its time. Still a good
> machine for today, but .... some of today's
> power-houses have it beat on depth nowadays.
>
> And it didn't do that well in bad minerals . Ie.:
> some states and some grounds caused it to loose
> depth. Like on wet mineralized salt too, it
> wasn't too proficient. But for moderate grounds,
> it was killer . Great sounds/tones.

My board is marked Nov 11, 1984.
Lucky we have moderate grounds and no salt.
The Mark 1 had a good following in the beginning and early 80's in Western New York. They were the Big Boy's toys. Couldn't afford one back then working part time at $1.60/hour wage.
This is my chance now to see what I missed and fill a need. LOL

Spent this afternoon doing a bunch of mods, won't be reassembled for a few weeks. Going to leave it chest mounted, since I figured another way to chest mount that's acceptable.

Works for me
December 05, 2016 12:58AM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> That came out in about 1986, if I'm not mistaken.
> And was revolutionary for its time. Still a good
> machine for today, but .... some of today's
> power-houses have it beat on depth nowadays.
>
> And it didn't do that well in bad minerals .

I've still got my Mark I along with most of 'today's powerhouses', and I don't see much difference between them in depth...

I've been meaning to get motivated to grab a carload of detectors for a very basic 'in ground' depth shootout, but seem to be having 'motivator' problems. winking smiley

It seems to do as well (or better) as most, in bad ground...the only units I have that aren't adversely affected by my ground are Pulse units.

The real drawback of the Mark I is the size/weight and the box of batteries you need. smiling smiley

mike
December 05, 2016 01:08AM
Lovely old things. i went down the Compass road for a while, but four Compass detectors - two useless trips to Keith Willis and finally getting most of my investment back by selling on, and I think I'm cured.

On the other hand, I couldn't resist a cherry Treasure Baron Goldtrax a few weeks ago - will I never learn?

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2016 01:09AM by lytle78.
December 05, 2016 01:20AM
lytle78 Wrote:
> Lovely old things. i went down the Compass road
> for a while, but four Compass detectors - two
> useless trips to Keith Willis and finally getting
> most of my investment back by selling on, and I
> think I'm cured.
>
> On the other hand, I couldn't resist a cherry
> Treasure Baron Goldtrax a few weeks ago - will I
> never learn?

LOL........having had a Baron, might have jumped myself.....then I remembered it was top heavy..........

Works for me
December 05, 2016 02:26AM
I have a Jimmy Sierra chest mount harness which I hope to adapt.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold