Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Forum Software Update Coming Soon.

Posted by wildwally1 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Forum Software Update Coming Soon.
December 10, 2016 03:26AM
Forum Members,

I will be performing a software upgrade to resolve some of the shortcomings of this forum. The software that runs this forum (Powered by Phorum) is actually quite old and really not really the best out there, but, 9 or 10 years ago when Tom decided to start a discussion area, this is the software package / platform I chose. Why? Because this is the same software that runs FindMall. I figured they knew what they were doing because I knew I didn't. Anyhow, now that this is what we have, we have to do the best we can with it. The version we are using now is the version that has been used since the beginning with a few add on modules throughout the years. I was always hesitant to upgrade because their is always the risk or crashing the site for a few days. Now, I am being forced to do so because this version does not allow me to pre-approve new users before they can post, which has become a recurring problem when dealing with a banned for life troll that will not go away. This should be done within a week, it actually only takes about 20 to 30 minutes, but I am going to have to study up on how to do it right before I go pushing any buttons.

Thank You,

wildwally1
Re: Forum Software Update Coming Soon.
December 10, 2016 03:30AM
Your efforts are much appreciated!
December 10, 2016 03:31AM
Wish you well on the project. Will it be easier to post photos with the new system?
December 10, 2016 03:33AM
OUTSTANDING!!thumbs down
December 10, 2016 03:44AM
I hope so. The problem with posting photos is the amount of space they use in the server disc memory and the amount of bandwidth uploading the photos from the server uses. Dankowski Detectors only has a limited amount of server disc space and bandwidth. We already use about 90% of our allotted bandwidth each month, so if we stored photos on the server, the bandwidth to move those photos from the Dankowski Detectors part of the server to users computers would add up quick. By using image hosting sites, the uploading of photos from THEIR image hosting site does not count against Dankowski Detectors bandwidth. So I guess we'll see what the new software will let me do.

Thank you for your concern,

wildwally1
December 10, 2016 03:46AM
December 10, 2016 03:54AM
Excellent!

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
December 10, 2016 04:00AM
thumbs down HH jim tn
December 10, 2016 04:28AM
Awesome News.
December 10, 2016 04:32AM
Thank you Wally & Tom.
December 10, 2016 04:32AM
Thanks again for all your hard work.
December 10, 2016 05:07AM
Thank you W.W.!! Your work is appreciated.
December 10, 2016 05:23AM
Best wishes on the "upgrade". Hope it goes well.

Rich

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
December 10, 2016 08:42AM
+
Absolutely the right decision.
Make a full backup of the resource and change it.
Even if the resource will not be available for some time then it will not harm his reputation as a problem of network troll is a headache all the participants of the forum.
December 10, 2016 12:22PM
Outstanding Wally!

Thank you.
December 10, 2016 04:04PM
Thanks Wally! I think we all trust your judgment in what is needed to keep this forum going!!
December 10, 2016 05:26PM
WTG!

I think most are willing to put up with whatever we need to if it helps you clean up the trash...and keep it out.
December 10, 2016 06:22PM
Awesome! It'll all be worth it the first time that troll tries to sign up and you decline smileys with beer
December 10, 2016 06:55PM
Out danmed spot! - Out I say!

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
December 10, 2016 11:28PM
December 11, 2016 06:11AM
Thanks for all of your good work Wally!
December 11, 2016 08:24PM
A wise decision, Wally, I hope there are only minor hitches, and you don't have to waste too much time sorting them.

Might I suggest (again) that a seperate forum, the "Off-topic Forum" could run alongside the "Metal Detecting Forum"? Not that I want to encourage lots of off-topic chat (bandwidth issues etc), but I've seen how long these 'US Politics' threads stay around on the front page, and perhaps a bit of categorisation wouldn't go amiss. We have enough shared 'pleasures in life' that the odd topic on hunting / archery / fishing / foraging etc would be an interesting distraction.
December 12, 2016 04:05AM
Thank you for persevering Wally. Maybe the software will load and work correctly......
Not likely, but it could happen.
December 12, 2016 06:04PM
Well boys------All this because of one person (troll).----It's just terrible that it has to come to this but SOMETHING has to be done.-----I've made the statement that I really thought this troll was trying to get this Forum shut down---well---he hasn't accomplished that but he surely has caused a lot of problems for Tom & Wally (and been a royal PITA for a lot of members).----Hang in there Wally--we're with you no matter how you decide to handle this.------------Del
December 12, 2016 07:37PM
I hope it helps on logging on..half the time I cant log onto this site..

or if I do i have to hit refresh like 100 times to make the page update..

seems to not like android or chromebook

thanks

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
December 12, 2016 08:35PM
I'll look into it and see what Tom wants to do.

Wally

Pimento Wrote:

> Might I suggest (again) that a seperate forum, the
> "Off-topic Forum" could run alongside the "Metal
> Detecting Forum"?
December 12, 2016 09:01PM
Just wondering if you guys noticed it yet. But the forum has allready started to get over this "virus".
People are talking more detecting allready.
Sometimes you really need to slam the door shut.

Good luck with the update and just to make a fine point of it.
It took me just about a whole year to make an account, but I was reading and learning on the forum almost daily.
This wealth of knowledge needs preserving!!

HH
Johnb